New Years as a solo

JoKen1

I saw a show on tv that was about a RC ship durning New Years. It looked so fun. Now I want to book a cruise for New Years.

But, I wonder if I will feel out of place with everyone ringing in the New Years with someone they love.

Have you ever done a New Years cruise? If so, what was it like? Did you feel odd at midnight?

I don't want to stand there by myself as everyone is kissing and hugging and I'm there alone just looking at everyone having fun and I have no one to wish Happy New Years to.

Did the others welcome you to join them at New Years? Not the kissing and hugging part but the party part.

Joanne

It's a tough time to cruise unless you've made some on board friends by that night. Plus, lots and lots of kids. While I'm not one of those who feels you need someone special to share things with on a cruise, I think NYE could be a little unusual. But heck, go for it.

I did a Christmas/New Year cruise as a solo in 2005/6 aboard NCL Crown.

It was really nice as usually I live alone and to be around so many people made a pleasant change. On New Year's Eve I went out onto the upper deck...we were sailing across the River Plate from Montevideo to Buenos Aires, so it was very warm....as the hour struck, the captain (Emile Holthe) blew the ship's horn 3 times and other ships all did the same...then over the horizon fireworks went up along the riverbank's towns...magical experience :)

About 30 minutes later Costa Romantica passed us in the opposite direction and they were partying and lots of the NCL Crown passengers (myself included) went to the side of our ship and we waved and shouted across to their ship...incredible time we had!

So although you will be travelling solo, you'll not be seeing in the year by yourself....and if like me you want to go up on deck and watch the year change and see/hear the other ships that maybe nearby by yourself, then that is all part of the experience too :)

I want to do another Christmas/New Year solo cruise again one day...it's magic :)

My last cruise was on the Dawn Princess, December 2007, over the Christmas/New Years holidays for 11 nights.

I felt welcome by most of the other cruisers. In recent years, as I've travelled over the holidays because this is when I have time off from work, I see more and more solos and small family type groups who are friendly and open to chatting.

I'd be careful booking a holiday cruise--I'd probably avoid cruising with Carnival or RC on 7 night cruises because these lines market so heavily to families.

NYE on my cruise was a champayne water fall type deal with the passengers just walking around the atrium visiting with others. I ended up in the piano bar later in the ending and called it a night around 1pm.

I'll be on HAL for a PC cruise this Christmas/New Years. It can't come soon enough.

Faith

I don't know how many other singles you're going to find. I did a cruise over New Year's Eve last year to the Western Caribbean with 5 other friends. There was only 1 single man in our age range on the ship. It's only one night.

DH and I cruised over New Year's in 2006. It wasn't terribly full of children, though there were more than we usually see in the fall. I think the number of kids depends on what day of the week New Year's falls on and when the little darlings have to go back to school.

There was an over-40 organized singles group on our cruise. We meet several of them in the disco and they were having a great time. We got to be good friends with a couple of them. It was the first time we had encountered anyone on a singles cruise. One lady in particular was all over the ship, making friends and getting to know people outside of the group. I think a cruise over New Year's might be a fun way to spend what can be, for many unattached folks, a rather miserable evening. At least on a ship, there are other people to talk to and hang out with.

Joanne, I've taken 2 NYE cruises - one with a singles group and one with a female friend. Both times I had a great time. NYE was never one of those special nights for me anyway, but on the ship it was a huge celebration. There are all types throughout the ship and the lounges have all kinds of music. On Princess they had lots of people out on deck. I'd do it again. Good luck.

Archived