Should Carnival follow Germany's lead...?

Honestly I think no...........there is nothing wrong with first come first served, a body in the chair. It just needs to be enforced. It's quite silly to let a chair sit empty for more than 30 minutes.

On Costa Allegra in the Far East last year, the crew beat the would-be chair hogs at their own game.

Every morning the crew went out and placed a rolled up towel on each sun lounger for the use of who ever sat there. Once that person moved away for lunch or whatever, the crew returned and placed a clean rolled up towel in its place, ready for the next person to use.

Even when they did deck maintenance in port, the towels were still placed on the loungers...see photo's below...

allegra1.jpg.935969d31cd3af6544c52966326be94d.jpg

allegra3.jpg.12165d6290af2d394b5ef302ffbcec4a.jpg

saigon2.jpg.2c0a045779f69f51a9d3c38b4f6ef36c.jpg

absolutely not. If I have to pay to sit by the pool, I'd have to think twice about cruising. and diva eluded to, you would just wind up with empty chairs sitting around, which would be absurd.

Years ago when I started cruising we had to pay for lounge chairs at the pool. I do wish that would happen again as there are too many people who are chair hogs and this would eliminate them. Either they pay and can have the use of the chair all week, (or all day whichever the cruiseline would determine) or they don't have a chair.

By the way, all the chairs were in use, no empty chairs just sitting around. I do believe something like this will happen as it is a money-maker for the cruise line and a way to get rid of the problems with the chair hogs. All it takes is one cruise line to do it, then others will follow--perhaps not immediately, but they will follow.

I have been campaigning that Carnival have their usual logo on one side of their beach towels....and "I am not a chair hog....be back in 15 minutes." on the other.

That way when someone wants to swim....or whatever....they simply "display" the I am not a chair hog side.

This would remind cruisers not to be chair hogs....AND let folks know that this chair is being used legitimately.

Any other "manner" of saving a chair...should be removed...fruit, shoes, books, etc.

I have been campaigning that Carnival have their usual logo on one side of their beach towels....and "I am not a chair hog....be back in 15 minutes." on the other.

That way when someone wants to swim....or whatever....they simply "display" the I am not a chair hog side.

This would remind cruisers not to be chair hogs....AND let folks know that this chair is being used legitimately.

Any other "manner" of saving a chair...should be removed...fruit, shoes, books, etc.

So when I walk out there at 7 am and see every chair displaying the "I am not a chair hog..." message....

On Costa Allegra in the Far East last year, the crew beat the would-be chair hogs at their own game.

Every morning the crew went out and placed a rolled up towel on each sun lounger for the use of who ever sat there. Once that person moved away for lunch or whatever, the crew returned and placed a clean rolled up towel in its place, ready for the next person to use.

Even when they did deck maintenance in port, the towels were still placed on the loungers...see photo's below...

Now that is a great Idea that Carnival should adopt.

German tourists can now reserve their poolside recliners before they have even left home...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090724/od_nm/us_towels

There is a device out there on the market to stop chair hogs,but the cruiselines won't pay for it. I don't have time to look for it,but it was pretty simple.

When you sit in this lounger,you need to pull the back up and back so when you sit,your back is against it. (its spring loaded somehow) when you leave the chair,it automatically starts to fold back down and takes about 30 minutes to drop down.

When its down,its open!

I don't understand why people think they have to be right next to the pool. We have ever sat next to the pool and don't think we are missing anything. We sit back a little ways and haven't really had any problems. On our last cruise we sat in the same two chairs everyday, and didn't get up early just to get them. After breakfast we would go out and everyday they were open. They were no more than 30 ft. from the deck 10 pool. Everyone just thinks they have to be right next to the Lido deck pool. Go right ahead, we'll take the other chairs.

Years ago when I started cruising we had to pay for lounge chairs at the pool. I do wish that would happen again as there are too many people who are chair hogs and this would eliminate them. Either they pay and can have the use of the chair all week, (or all day whichever the cruiseline would determine) or they don't have a chair.

By the way, all the chairs were in use, no empty chairs just sitting around. I do believe something like this will happen as it is a money-maker for the cruise line and a way to get rid of the problems with the chair hogs. All it takes is one cruise line to do it, then others will follow--perhaps not immediately, but they will follow.

I still say that is absurd. Here we are complaining about people reserving/hogging chairs, but you want people to pay to reserve them? So its not ok when it is done at no cost, but it is okay if you pay for the "right." ??

We are already nickel-and-dimed. I've paid to be on the ship and should never have to pay to sit down! For crying out loud... What next? Pay extra to get a dining table by the window?

I am sorry, I realize many of you are more experienced cruisers than I, but I never had a problem getting a chair.

Archived