New: pre-pay your Onboard Service Charges

time2cruise1

Thanks, but I'm sure cash is not 'discouraged' - I like tipping in cash, it makes it more real.

Any ideas on my question?

The process for removing the DSC is set up for when you have a problem that has not be satisfied to your satisfaction, so I would say, no, you cannot remove it in advance. If you like to tip in cash, why not do it in addition to the DSC for those that go above and beyond for you? That is NOT discouraged and then the crew members you most liked will be directly rewarded. But if you remove the DSC you are not only missing people you don't see, but also not satisfying your goal of rewarding the people you are face to face with since they will have to put it into the pool. Finaly, don't forget about the comment, called STYLE, cards. They are the best reward IMO.

The process for removing the DSC is set up for when you have a problem that has not be satisfied to your satisfaction, so I would say, no, you cannot remove it in advance. If you like to tip in cash, why not do it in addition to the DSC for those that go above and beyond for you? That is NOT discouraged and then the crew members you most liked will be directly rewarded. But if you remove the DSC you are not only missing people you don't see, but also not satisfying your goal of rewarding the people you are face to face with since they will have to put it into the pool. Finaly, don't forget about the comment, called STYLE, cards. They are the best reward IMO.

But others have said that it gets shared anyways. So what is the harm of removing it and giving cash that will eventually get shared - seems to get the same result.

But others have said that it gets shared anyways. So what is the harm of removing it and giving cash that will eventually get shared - seems to get the same result.

To clarify, it is NOT the same result. It is not shared "anyways," only if you remove the DSC. If you do not remove your the automatic charge, they do NOT have to share the extra tip you give them. So, the people you miss get rewarded and the people you most appreciated get extra - it's a win-win in my book.

I hope you are thick skinned and will not feel embarassed by the interview process an officer from the front office will almost certainly conduct with you concerning the DSC charge removal. Plus you will have to waste all kinds of time standing in the long, long lines at the front service desk that I have seen on recent cruises, instead of enjoying a relaxing day onboard or at a delightful port! I also know that I would be absolutely mortified insisting upon the removal once they had explained how everything works and attempted to correct any problems with the service. How in the world will you be able to run around and tip all the folks who have served you, especially the behind-the-scenes folks like the hostesses in the various restaurant venues? Just sounds like you are trying to save a few bucks, to me, and believe me, your room steward will know this in advance that you have 'opted out' of the DSC and that anything you may deem appropriate for his tip will have to be shared or else he will be fined for your cheapness. You have plenty of time to save up for this, as it is fully disclosed in the cruise contract. Extra tips are always an option too, but that is in ADDITION to the DSC.

I hope you are thick skinned and will not feel embarassed by the interview process an officer from the front office will almost certainly conduct with you concerning the DSC charge removal. Plus you will have to waste all kinds of time standing in the long, long lines at the front service desk that I have seen on recent cruises, instead of enjoying a relaxing day onboard or at a delightful port! I also know that I would be absolutely mortified insisting upon the removal once they had explained how everything works and attempted to correct any problems with the service. How in the world will you be able to run around and tip all the folks who have served you, especially the behind-the-scenes folks like the hostesses in the various restaurant venues? Just sounds like you are trying to save a few bucks, to me, and believe me, your room steward will know this in advance that you have 'opted out' of the DSC and that anything you may deem appropriate for his tip will have to be shared or else he will be fined for your cheapness. You have plenty of time to save up for this, as it is fully disclosed in the cruise contract. Extra tips are always an option too, but that is in ADDITION to the DSC.

It may not be a matter of cheap. Some people just want to make sure that anyone they tip gets a chance to bow down and kiss their ring. ;)

And if the cash will be shared, why would you want to go thru that extra effort when you could just leave the DSC in place? Unless-of course------!

It may not be a matter of cheap. Some people just want to make sure that anyone they tip gets a chance to bow down and kiss their ring. ;)

Perhaps I'm a cynic, but somehow I SERIOUSLY DOUBT that anyone who goes through the wasted time and risks humiliation enduring the process of having their service charges removed is going to tip ANYONE to such an extent that they will "bow down" in any way!!!! On the contrary, many who remove the DSC simply do not tip AT ALL! :rolleyes:

Wow, now I understand the popcorn comment!!

Funny how my question is still not answered and yet I am subjected to attacks and innuendo.

Pretty much all of it is wrong, some ignorant, and all unappreciated.

Funny how my question is still not answered and yet I am subjected to attacks and innuendo.

To answer you question: No you may not "Pre-Remove" your DSC.

Please refer to this section of the NCL FAQ:

"If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board reception desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges."

Why is that Simon B? Do you doubt that I personally witnessed the long snaking lines at the service desk of folks wanting to opt out of their DSC? (I actually overheard some of the rude comments made by some of those guests wishing to opt out and felt very sorry for the crew on duty at the desk!) Sorry if my comments are unappreciated, but they are THE TRUTH!

No personal offense meant so I apologize if you felt attacked. No, you cannot remove the DSC in advance.

Sorry you feel attacked, but your question was answered several posts ago. The system allows you to remove the DSC AFTER a problem has gone unresolved. If that's not clear, that means NO you cannot remove it in advance.

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board reception desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges."

Thanks - finally an answer and not just an opinion.

How could I have possibly felt attacked??

Maybe you should have provided a link since the OP obviously couldn't find it.

To clarify, it is NOT the same result. It is not shared "anyways," only if you remove the DSC. If you do not remove your the automatic charge, they do NOT have to share the extra tip you give them. So, the people you miss get rewarded and the people you most appreciated get extra - it's a win-win in my book.

It is the same result, but its okay if you don't understand . . .

Unless you already knew the answer, how did you know which answers were wrong & ignorant? Maybe the popcorn helps pass the time when we see that coming.

This person gave you an answer. She probably didn't realize you wouldn't believe her.

I assumed you did believe her and answered your follow up question. If you were still unclear on the first question, you should have said so then - before things got nuts.

Two answers. No attack. The opinions come in to play because this is an open forum and many here feel strongly about people attempting to get out of tipping.

*cheerfully enters*

hey friends! what's up? what's going on? *looks around* oh i see now.

*inserts bag of popcorn into microwave*

DING! *muches away*

if i may interject...(humbly, that is)...for all those crew members having to deal with people trying to remove their DSC. perhaps there should be a removal charge of $12 per person per day. i mean...since they nickel and dime anyway...might as well make the most off of those who "want to tip as they go...with that 'personal touch'....".

for those who can't do the math...it comes up to being the same as leaving the DSC alone.

This person gave you an answer. She probably didn't realize you wouldn't believe her.

I assumed you did believe her and answered your follow up question. If you were still unclear on the first question, you should have said so then - before things got nuts.

Two answers. No attack. The opinions come in to play because this is an open forum and many here feel strongly about people attempting to get out of tipping.

You said 3 or 4 times in your message - were you exaggerating or lying?

Both of what you quoted were opinions - the first person who gave me an answer I thanked. I think the issue is closed now unless you want to keep trolling.

I'm jumping in on tail end here and in my opinion, post 69, 73 and 76 answered the question. At least that what I got out of it.

Thanks, Lowtyd - I knew there were more!

if i may interject...(humbly, that is)...for all those crew members having to deal with people trying to remove their DSC. perhaps there should be a removal charge of $12 per person per day. i mean...since they nickel and dime anyway...might as well make the most off of those who "want to tip as they go...with that 'personal touch'....".

for those who can't do the math...it comes up to being the same as leaving the DSC alone.

Great idea, Zone! Maybe then NCL could keep the fees instead of passing them onto the undeserving crew. ;) Because I don't mind paying extra for my cruise so long as I get to decide which lazy worker gets snubbed. :rolleyes:

Archived