New: pre-pay your Onboard Service Charges

time2cruise1

Whether or not I opt for pay in advance the one thing I really would prefer is to have ONE LINE listed for the services charges on our bill. It could simply state Daily Service Charges for 2 = 168.00. (That is a 7 day cruise.)

It becomes annoying and confusing to look over your folio at cruise end and keep seeing "Mary" 12.00 daily for each day cruised, "Jack" 12.00 daily for each day cruised.

These are all separate line items that mix in with all of your other charges and I have never liked it.

Whether or not I opt for pay in advance the one thing I really would prefer is to have ONE LINE listed for the services charges on our bill. It could simply state Daily Service Charges for 2 = 168.00. (That is a 7 day cruise.)

It becomes annoying and confusing to look over your folio at cruise end and keep seeing "Mary" 12.00 daily for each day cruised, "Jack" 12.00 daily for each day cruised.

These are all separate line items that mix in with all of your other charges and I have never liked it.

In total agreement!

I am just waiting for the day when you can prepay your shore excursions in advance like you can on Royal Carribbean! It seems to be no problem with RC to prepay and if the excursion doesn't go you are refunded back, etc. and they seem to have no problems with prepayment. That would have been so nice on my recent cruise to Alaska since the shore excursions were rather expensive, I could have been paying them off months in advance before the cruise and had that expense out of the way. I know how some people feel about giving them the money until they absolutely have to, but some of us like to do that and would rather budget it out in advance and would rather have it paid off before I even leave, just works for me, so I think that would be the next great option NCL could offer!

For me, it's not about whether I can make an extra buck or two if I put the money in an interest-bearing account. Obviously, we're talking about a nominal sum of money. It's more important to me that I have my money available to me for a longer period because unexpected expenses happen. If I've already given it to NCL as a pre-payment, I can't use it for an emergency (or any sort of unanticipated opportunity). So, for me, it's all about leaving my options open.

I would never pre-pay the tips....Friends of ours paid in advance some time back with another cruiseline and never received their tips back. Once your hard-earned money is gone, it is out of your pocket and you have to fight to get it back if for some reason one does not make it on board. I only pay in advance what I absolutely have to.

My soon is going on a Bahama cruise in August and now there is a new option to book & pay in advance for the excursions etc. but again, what if there is bad weather or you are not feeling up to it by that time. Once again better in one's own pocket than with the cruiselines. They have made it easier to pay up-front for a reason; it is almost a guarantee for them but not so easy refund for us...

I agree that it's just nice to be given the option... I'm not saying it's right for everone but it works for me...

When I'm on holidays I like to feel relaxed - and part of that for me is knowing that I won't come home to a big cc bill...the more I can pay in advance the better. But that's just me...in fact I will probably pre-purchase some cruise card credit for this very same reason - and will buy when I feel the aussie dollar is strongest.

Also, I think it is great because I come from Australia where we are not used to the tipping culture so I like the idea of paying the DSC as part of my cruise cost - and then when I cruise I am also likely to tip more in cash to room stewards, dining room staff etc because I have already paid the DSC as part of my cruise cost.

Don't flame me, it's just that this is the way my brain thinks and this arrangement suits me better. There is no right or wrong answer with this one...so each to his/her own. I'm happy to be given the option :D.

Heaven forbid that a cruiseline should make any money from it's passengers!

It is all about choice folks. Some will opt to prepay and be happy doing so and some will not prepay and also be happy.

I don't see a problem here at all, it isn't compulsory to pay in advance so why are some of you going into so much detail about it?

I can't find anyplace on the NCL web site advertising the change. I have my trip paid for and I don't see a place to pay for the tipping. Do I have to call my darn cruise consultant?

I can't find anyplace on the NCL web site advertising the change. I have my trip paid for and I don't see a place to pay for the tipping. Do I have to call my darn cruise consultant?

I imagine you will have to call your PCC, TA, Latitudes desk, or main # just like purchasing bon voyage gifts, onboard credits, etc.

Let's play with the numbers:

For the three months ending 3/31/09, NCL had 2,263,459 Passenger Cruise Days (number of ticketed passengers X number of days sailed). Annualized, this number is 9,053,836. Multiplied by $12 per person, per day =$108,646,032. At 1% interest for one year, this is a million dollars. Even if only 20% of pax opt for this option, the gain to NCL is $200,000. One thing to note, the company will earn more than 1% in their cash management/repurchase agreement accounts.

..and you resent a company making money, why????? :confused: :confused:

To each their own. I know my DH doesn't like to pay anything in advance but I would definitely do this...I would have no problems with NCL making a month or two interest off my prepaid gratuities. The interest I'd be making having it in my account is miniscule so it's not a big deal to me.

I don't understand why people don't want other people making money :confused:

..and you resent a company making money, why????? :confused: :confused:

To each their own. I know my DH doesn't like to pay anything in advance but I would definitely do this...I would have no problems with NCL making a month or two interest off my prepaid gratuities. The interest I'd be making having it in my account is miniscule so it's not a big deal to me.

I don't understand why people don't want other people making money :confused:

Wow! I went back and read my post. I just can’t see where I said or insinuated that I resented the company making money. :confused: I was merely aggregating the piddling sums a previous poster was ambivalent about to show that little bits do add up.

Actually, since your comment really peeved me, I think I will continue with my illustration:

Let us see:

Brown bagging it saves me about $4 a day equaling about $1040 a year.

Moving some savings to a high-yield savings account (yes 2% is better than 1%) earns an extra $100 a year.

Using an average of $6 in coupons at the market a week = $312

Opening a savings account with a national credit card company quadruples my travel points from ~ $250 a year to $1,000 a year.

Not letting the cruise line take my $0.68 for paying early, priceless.

Paying attention to my money saved me $2,202.68, which will pay for my January cruise –without taking a single extra dollar from my paycheck.

I am a capitalist and I respect the right for companies to make money, but if I had the choice I’d keep it myself. Since you don’t mind giving yours away, send some this way and I’ll put it in the kitty for next June’s cruise. :D

<Off soap box>

Wow! I went back and read my post. I just can’t see where I said or insinuated that I resented the company making money. :confused: I was merely aggregating the piddling sums a previous poster was ambivalent about to show that little bits do add up.

Actually, since your comment really peeved me, I think I will continue with my illustration:

Let us see:

Brown bagging it saves me about $4 a day equaling about $1040 a year.

Alternative: eating fresh, hot meals, no cooking, and no cleaning up.

Moving some savings to a high-yield savings account (yes 2% is better than 1%) earns an extra $100 a year.

So 1% = $100 a year.... so you have $10,000 in savings tied up, and not being more effectively used. If you applied $10,000 to a mortgage, you'd save the PRE-TAX mortgage rate. So if the rate is 5%, and you are in a 50% tax bracket...you'd save 10% by paying down the mortgage. Lost opportunity cost: $900 per year ($1000 - $100)(Just assuming we're not illustrating this just for YOUR scenario, but to outline how others could / could not replicate it.

Using an average of $6 in coupons at the market a week = $312

Time spent finding coupons, per week: 30 minutes at hourly wage of $120 equals lost wages of $54/week ($60 - $6) = $2,808. NOT clipping coupons would pay for my cruise! :eek: Good thing I don't clip coupons!

Opening a savings account with a national credit card company quadruples my travel points from ~ $250 a year to $1,000 a year.

Not letting the cruise line take my $0.68 for paying early, priceless.

LOL.

Paying attention to my money saved me $2,202.68, which will pay for my January cruise –without taking a single extra dollar from my paycheck.

That's not paying attention to your money, it's prioritizing how YOU use your money. Others may have different priorities. Some want stability and peace of mind, others worry about currency exchange rates, etc.

I am a capitalist and I respect the right for companies to make money, but if I had the choice I’d keep it myself. Since you don’t mind giving yours away, send some this way and I’ll put it in the kitty for next June’s cruise. :D

Poor cat...some of those coins must hurt, as they exit. :rolleyes:

<Off soap box>

we have a winner !!

Yes. An investor who, instead of living off the proceeds of their investments....is living on a pension. (actually...I know NOTHING of their financial situation, but the tag line on his posts has always amused me).

Yes. An investor who, instead of living off the proceeds of their investments....is living on a pension. (actually...I know NOTHING of their financial situation, but the tag line on his posts has always amused me).

"I'm a retired investor living on a pension" is a line spoken by Hyman Roth (the Meyer Lansky-like character) in The Godfather, Part II. As I recall, he said it right before he gets gunned down in the Miami airport. (I added the word "just' in my tag line.)

By the way, the proceeds of one's investments can be used to purchase a type of pension...an annuity.

"I'm a retired investor living on a pension" is a line spoken by Hyman Roth (the Meyer Lansky-like character) in The Godfather, Part II. As I recall, he said it right before he gets gunned down in the Miami airport. (I added the word "just' in my tag line.)

By the way, the proceeds of one's investments can be used to purchase a type of pension...an annuity.

Too true...and thanks for the trivia... of course now that you put it in context, I remember him saying it. :)

i like the option. There are times I'd do it and times I wouldn't. If you know you're going to be having some big payments due the month or so after your cruise, (expensive helicopter excursions or anything else in your life like pet insurance etc) perhaps taking care of the service charge ahead of time will lessen the shock of the big ticket expenses after the cruise.

I have searched the NCL site and re-checked my e-docs. Where is this option listed??:confused:

Go back and open your edocs again online. I printed mine a couple weeks ago and it just said something about the $12 service charge. Friday it became the following on the Guest ticket Contract To be presented for Passage page 2.

Cut and paste from 2 minutes ago.

FARES AS AGREED

IMPORTANT NOTICE The guests' attention is specifically directed to the Terms and Conditions of this contract, located at the end of this document. These terms and Conditions affect important legal rights and the guest is advised to read them carefully.

If you should experience a flight interruption while en-route to your cruise, you may call us toll free from the US and Canada at 1-800-456-7179. Outside the US and Canada you may reach us at 1-305-468-2029. Please note we accept collect calls.

NCL now offers you the ability to pre-pay your Onboard Service Charges of $12 per person per day for guests over the age of 3. Please contact your travel professional to add to your reservation. See our brochure or http://www.ncl.com for details.

Ship Registry: BAHAMAS

Archived