Wine for princess cruise.

mollywest

We are flying into Paris en route to Rome for our cruise. Will I be able to purchase wine for the ship in duty free and carry it onto our flight in Paris in sealed plastic bags? Want to take wine on-board to drink in cabin, which is permitted by Princess.

Are you flying from Manchester? If so, if the duty free shop will sell you wine then you should be able to ask for it to be sealed into an EU duty-free bag so that it will be accepted through security at Paris.

However, there is no guarantee that the duty free shop at Manchester will sell you any wine at all, because there are no duty free alcohol sales for intra-EU travel. Some duty free shops will sell some alcohol to intra-EU passengers, but even there it's often the case that the shop will only sell a limited range of alcohol to intra-EU passengers - so you may not get exactly what you want.

Frankly, if you have any time in Rome why not buy your drinks there at a supermarket. You will not get duty free intra Europe as already noted by Globaliser, and based on my experience living in Spain, even if you were going out of the EU you would save money by buying at a supermarket and packing it in your checked luggage, rather than being ripped off by a Duty free store at the airport.

I would not put wine in luggage to save a few bucks. You are taking a chance of it breaking and ruiming your clothes. Here in Minneapolis everything is automated and they use big arms that 'smack' luggage to get it from conveyer belt to conveyer belt. Anything inside can break easily if not packed well. If you ever watch baggage handlers load stuff on the belt that goes to the plane, they don't handle them like they are fragile, many times the bags are thrown or dropped onto the belt.

Take a look at this video

then tell me you want to pack a bottle of wine in your luggage!

You are better off going by a wine store near the cruise dock before you board.

Be sure to also post on the Princess board to verify if you can bring wine onto the ship.

Keith

LMFAO, sorry Keith, but if you stop and think about it, that is actually funny.

A hard sided suitcase and bubble wrap are your friends, I bought a small hardside that will take for 750ml bottles wrapped in plenty of bubble wrap, that thing as flown around the world with no breakages to date.

Archived