Wearing bathing suit coverups around ship

tecflyer

Hi. First cruise (Carnival Pride) and first question. We get up and dress in bathing suit and coverup or bathing suit and shirt for DH and head to buffet for juice and something to eat then go to pool to lay out. Later head back for some lunch buffet before going back to cabin. My question is: Is this proper attire to walk around in all morning before getting dressed to do other things? Thanks for everything I am learning on here.

Most people dress just as you do. I don't know about Carnival, but on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity you can't go into the buffet unless you have on a swimsuit coverup - or shirt over bathing trunks for men, and flip flops or some other sort of shoe (no bare feet).

Also, I'm sure this will be common sense to you, but don't go into the interior food areas when you're dripping wet, or sit on chairs in the buffet when your suit is wet because you'll leave a nasty surprise for the next person!

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi. First cruise (Carnival Pride) and first question. We get up and dress in bathing suit and coverup or bathing suit and shirt for DH and head to buffet for juice and something to eat then go to pool to lay out. Later head back for some lunch buffet before going back to cabin. My question is: Is this proper attire to walk around in all morning before getting dressed to do other things? Thanks for everything I am learning on here.
I've only sailed Royal Caribbean and Disney, but, yes, a bathing suit /cover up is acceptable for the buffet or just walking around the ship during the day. After 5:00 or so, "real clothes" would be in order -- even if you're heading to just the buffet for a casual dinner, real shorts would be a minimum.

You didn't mention sandles or flip-flops, but I'm sure you'd wear them too.

Last month many people were strolling around the Splendor in Carnival's bathrobes. Not just the pool deck and spa, all over. Interestingly, the robes are big and long, and many cruisers in them were often petite. Oversized robe hanging almost to the ankles, but they seemed happy.

Personally When we go to the Buffet, we think it is RUDE to walk around in just your bathing suit, and UNFORTUNATLY on Carnival, it seems to be the NORM...

To us, it is just proper to be covered, and wear shoes (even flip flops). When I say covered, I am talking a bathing suit coverup where you are NOT hanging out and showing anything, when you are in the area where the food is..

BUT that is just OUR opinion. We try to teach our kids manners, and we feel that is bad manners to do..

But to your question, Yes a cover up and shoes would be proper.

Just make sure your cover up really "covers" you when in the buffet--sometimes they won't let you in if they can see the bathing suit!

Serious? As far as the buffet goes, I have seen many bathing suit only wearers and can't imagine that someone would be turned away. Not doubting you of course. Just not my experience for carnival or maybe I wasn't paying very close attention, lol. Now the DR would be different of course. I do think that a coverup is best, at the least, to go eat anywhere.

I have never sailed Carnival but on NCL & RCI a small portion of the buffet extends into the pool area so you can grab something -- usually a burger, fruit, cheese, & ice cream -- right from pool side without having to go inside. Personally I can't go to lunch in just a bathing suit b/c the AC is too cold. :)

Serious? As far as the buffet goes, I have seen many bathing suit only wearers and can't imagine that someone would be turned away. Not doubting you of course. Just not my experience for carnival or maybe I wasn't paying very close attention, lol. Now the DR would be different of course. I do think that a coverup is best, at the least, to go eat anywhere.

I can't speak about Carnival but I can tell you on Princess and HAL you would be told to leave if you didn't have a cover-up. :eek:

Yes, this is fine. For men, try a Hawaiian shirt over the trunks (instead of a t-shirt)....it's a bit more dressy, but also casual and cool (you can unbutton when outside to keep cool, while still keeping the sun off your back and shoulders which tend to get burned more easily).

Archived