Chance of seeing whales in Bar Harbor early Sept?

lumpkin8

We want to do a whale watching tour in Bar Harbor, in very early September (Caribbean Princess). I know there cannot be any guarantee of sightings, but do any Bar Harbor experts (or whale experts) know if that time of year is usually a good one for seeing whales? Does weather have any bearing on whether we would sight whales? (I assume it is going to be fairly rainy then, as the northeast has had way too much rain so far this summer....this tour runs rain or shine.) If it is not likely we would see whales, we would prefer to pick a different tour.

Thanks.

I’m not the whale expert you were seeking but found this as I was researching whale watching in BH. I hope it increases your comfort level.

From late April through October, a number of cetacean species feed in the Gulf of Maine, including humpback, finback and minke whales. Later in the summer, around August, northern right whales arrive. All of the various kinds of whales remain off the Maine coast into October before they head out in search of warmer waters.

Excerpted from the article Whale Watching in Bar Harbor, Maine posted at:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/

Whale watching tours in Bar Harbor:

http://www.barharborwhales.com/default.php

• 1 month later...

lumpkin - what did you do and how did it turn out?

We just got home from the Caribbean Princess last night and we did the Princess Whale Watching tour in Bar Harbor. First thing is you go on the same boat as those who pay the company direct - and it's cheaper by far buying direct! Our 3 hour tour took 5 hours because they had to go so far out to find any whales. About an hour and a half out they finally spotted a spout and we chased two Fin (?) whales around for awhile as they went up and down - not a dramatic event like some of the other types of whales - but at least we saw them.

We were late getting back to the ship so we were glad we were on a Princess tour - but as I said earlier the other folks who paid at the dock were on the same boat so everyone from the ship was safe :-)

Archived