customs in bermuda

hotweathergirl

when you arrive via cruise ship, when do you go through customs? will be arriving at the dockyard

You go through customs when you get BACK to the US not when you arrive in Bermuda.

However, I have seen Bermuda customs officials search bags taken off the ship, and I have seen a couple of people detained for what I suspected was possession of drugs.

However, I have seen Bermuda customs officials search bags taken off the ship, and I have seen a couple of people detained for what I suspected was possession of drugs.

Were those people taking suitcases off the ship?

All countries have some sort of customs / duty. Duty on imports is a major source of revenue for the Government of Bermuda. When you arrive in Bermuda, HMS Customs is available. However items brought for personal use generally do not cause problems for visitors, but large quantities can arouse suspicion. Visitors to Bermuda are allowed to bring the following into the country duty-free:

[*]Apparel and articles for personal use, including sports equipment and cameras

[*]200 cigarettes

[*]One quart of liquor

[*]One quart of wine

[*]Approximately 20 pounds of meat

Coming in on a cruise ship, virtually all passengers are there for a vacation, but some passengers do try to illegally inport things for sale, electronics come to mind.

Last week nobody looked at us as we got off the ship. However there is a random search as you get back on. We were with anohter family and the 20something kid with a backpack was pushed to the search line both times. No big deal............ As we were told on the way out no drugs no problem.

Archived