Travel time between Sydney airport (SYD) & Circular Quay

jerseysmom

We're hoping to cruise NZ from Sydney on an RCI cruise in Jan 2010. We should have plenty of time getting to the ship when we arrive. Our dilemma is on the return home. If we dock at Circular Quay in Sydney how much time should we allow to get to the airport? The flight we really want to catch leaves SYD for LAX at 11:30am. That would get us into LAX around 10am. Since we're 90 minutes from LAX when the traffic is light, we still have a drive to get home. The next flight after gets us into LA @ 2pm which means hours of traffic to drive home in. I'd love to book the flight at 11:30 but I'm just worried that it wouldn't give us enough time.

We would be docking on a Thursday morning and can self-disembark if need be.

Thanks for any suggestions!

11:30 a.m. departure ideally means check-in around 8:30 a.m. at the airport, although you could (probably) get there by 9:30 and still be able to check-in. Given check-in queues, then clearing customs that is making things tight.

If you were to get off the ship and be through Customs by 7 a.m. then you should be fine. You could take the train to the airport which is probably half an hour, or take a taxi which would probably be a little bit longer. Although there can be traffic delays, particularly at peak times, 1.5 hours should be sufficient.

The key though is that everything goes according to plan. If for any reason you are not off the ship on time, you don't have a lot of leeway.

When I checked in at Sydney most recently for an international flight the lines were long and slow. The question you need to ask is if your airline will let you fly at no additional charge on the later flight if you miss the first one?

And if not, how much?

and if no seats available how much would it cost to stay overnight to wait for another plane?

I've found security at Sydney to be more careful than in the US. They were polite, but determined.

It will be peak hour.If you take your bags off the ship yourself so that your in control you should have no problem getting to the airport well before 9am.The run to the Airport is anything from 30mins to 50mins at worst from the Quay by Taxi.Depending on which way he goes, ie via General Holmes Drive which is longer and make sure also he doesnt take you via the M5 TO THE AIRPORT.

Via Hickson Road thence connecting across to Riordan St, mileage wise is by far shorter.

(Its very interesting to observe empty taxis all coming back into the city from the airport travel via Riordan St)

Alternatively if you walk the length of the ship (infact its probably not 1 ships length walk) from the O/S Terminal with your bags you would be inside Circular Quay Station and there is a train during the morning peak every 7/8 minutes to the International Air Terminal with a train journey time of 20 minutes. http://www.cityrail.com.au

If you feel you are running out of time, I recommend you take the train from Circular Quay.

My daughter, who has to go to work, always catches the first train of the day, so she doesn't have to worry about traffic delays. Whilst I take the more leisurely shuttle transport, which picks me up at my accommodation.

Good question re are you able to change to a later flight, at no or little charge, in case the ship is late getting in.

Just make sure you tell the Pursers Office the time of your flight, so you will be allocated early disembarkation.

If you decide to take a taxi, don't wait in the taxi queue, which can be quite long and slow, just take the lift down to the Quay and walk a short way and hail a taxi on the street.

I personally would not risk it..too much can go wrong..too many "what ifs"..I would stay the night and get a flight the next day...

This is what we are doing before and after our flight and cruise from San Francisco to Sydney..This way there are no nervous waits hoping that all your plans will come together..

I personally would not risk it..too much can go wrong..too many "what ifs"..I would stay the night and get a flight the next day...

This is what we are doing before and after our flight and cruise from San Francisco to Sydney..This way there are no nervous waits hoping that all your plans will come together..

Yes your right.Once we step away from home too much can go wrong when travelling of any kind?Thats why we have travel insurance.

There will be other cruisers on the O/Ps flight as well.

Enjoy your cruise jerseysmom and Australia and its people, relax and you will get that flight.

Just checked with Air New Zealand. They have a decent fare right now. However if you miss the flight you are charged a penalty. If there are any seats available on the next flight you will have to pay the difference (as well as the penalty) of what the going rate is then. I commented that it could get expensive and the agent agreed. I forgot to ask about checking in online but I can't find it anywhere on their website. MANY thanks to those who mentioned the train. That sounds like a very good option rather than sitting in a taxi in traffic for 30-50 minutes. Is it all right to get on the train with 2 large pieces of luggage?

Jerseysmom.

As i mentioned earlier you are the length of the ships walk away from Circular Quay Station and there are lifts and escalators to the platforms.The trains are pretty empty in the direction of airport as there going out to the suburbs to bring the early

morning commuters back to the city for the morning peak.

Its simply a matter of you handling your luggage which more and more of us are doing because of airline limitations.

Just checked with Air New Zealand. They have a decent fare right now. However if you miss the flight you are charged a penalty. If there are any seats available on the next flight you will have to pay the difference (as well as the penalty) of what the going rate is then. I commented that it could get expensive and the agent agreed. I forgot to ask about checking in online but I can't find it anywhere on their website. MANY thanks to those who mentioned the train. That sounds like a very good option rather than sitting in a taxi in traffic for 30-50 minutes. Is it all right to get on the train with 2 large pieces of luggage?

Have you checked with V Australia they are doing a afternoon flight out of Sydney last time i looked and they start code sharing with Delta, however im not sure when?

Thanks for the info. I checked VAustralia's site but can find only 3 morning and 1 late evening flight (expensive). Don't really want to stay over until the next morning. We will be coming 2 days early and we'll be ready to head home once the cruise is over.

I read all the posts to my DH and he doesn't want to book the 11:30 Air NZ flight b/c I will spend the last few days of the cruise stressing over making the flight. He said to pay the extra $90 for the 3:30 flight.

The train sounds great and I would never have known about it without you. THANK YOU!!!!;)

Thanks for the info. I checked VAustralia's site but can find only 3 morning and 1 late evening flight (expensive). Don't really want to stay over until the next morning. We will be coming 2 days early and we'll be ready to head home once the cruise is over.

I read all the posts to my DH and he doesn't want to book the 11:30 Air NZ flight b/c I will spend the last few days of the cruise stressing over making the flight. He said to pay the extra $90 for the 3:30 flight.

The train sounds great and I would never have known about it without you. THANK YOU!!!!;)

Here are some pictures of Circular Quay station taken from the Sydney Overseas Passenger Terminal.

696205606_SydneyOverseasPassengerTerminalwithCircularQuayStationinbackgroundwithMarriottHotel.jpg.12bcc6e83850bd8f49cd883c8e3e2801.jpg

1655810860_SydneyOverseasPassengerTerminalwithCircularQuayStationinbackground2.jpg.c2e0a9239b9a2b55290cb4555426b336.jpg

jerseymom- We used the train to/from SYD airport last month. It's fast and stops right at the airport...the first stop is the Domestic terminal and the next stop is International. Since you're from SoCal too, all I can say is LAX can only dream of being in the same league as SYD. (Green Line goes a mile from LAX but doesn't enter the terminal area...what the **** were they thinking ???)

The walk from the cruise ship terminal to the Circular Quay station is about 1/4 mile and I believe the waterfront walkway is level with few if any steps. The tracks at CQ are elevated but I recall there are elevators; send a "scout" to find them if it's not obvious.

Fare is about AUD $15 per person, and they accept credit cards. There's also an airport shuttle bus, however it's only about $2 cheaper and subject to traffic and picking up others. So train vs. bus was a "no brainer" for us.

Kenish, I hear you! I am in Canyon Lake and try to fly out of Ontario, Santa Ana or San Diego. Getting in/out of LAX is daunting! I avoid it whenever I can!! :eek:

It's good to know about the train. We would have taken a taxi both ways but now will take the train.

Archived