Where to stay in Galveston?

wildcats82

Harbor House was only $80 a night for my upcoming cruise thru hotels . com site. You could book just one night. It isnt always that expensive, if you count that you can park there (I think) and walk to the cruise, it would have cost about the same as what we are paying for hotel and EZCruise.

Depends on when you are staying at the Harbor House...some weekends it is a 2 night minimum! We got the HH for $109/ni for Mardi Gras precruise on 2/14/2010. But minimum 2 nights.

Depends on when you are staying at the Harbor House...some weekends it is a 2 night minimum! We got the HH for $109/ni for Mardi Gras precruise on 2/14/2010. But minimum 2 nights.

We booked one night at Harbor House for $65.00 through Priceline for our pre-cruise at Easter.

I know sometimes its a 2 night minimum thru the hotel, but sometimes you can get it for one night thru hotels.com too. For my dates no 2 night minimum. January lots of bargains.

How does their parking work. Do you need to book direct? Is it free, except for the one $10 charge?

I thought about doing Harbor House since it was such a bargain at $80, but there were many good deals. The hotel I did pick Quality Inn and Suites Beachfront is $100 more if I book it for my Sept cruise!! :eek: Yes, its exactly $100 more to book Sept 25, when I will be back.

• 5 weeks later...
For the total cruise experience, we stayed at the Harbor House Last February. It was fabulous!!! It was so awesome to watch the Carnival Conquest cruise silently down the harbor early Sunday morning and do her 180* turnaround. We watched the whole show right out of our windows in our room. I kept screaming, there she comes, there she comes. And my DH, said, no, that can't be her. But, sure enough, the closer she came to the terminal, he could see that it was indeed the Conquest.

It was a total treat to stay at the Harbor House and have the conveniance of Willie G's and the Fisherman's Wharf right next door!!! Would we do it again, in a heartbeat, BUT it is expensive.....and everyone should do it one time at least. We are staying at a Best Western in Texas City this time and then driving on to the terminal on Sunday.

See ya soon:D

This where we are staying in Sept. before our Conquest cruise and I booked directly thru hotel and got a rate of $120 per night and I think that is very reasonable for the time of year...Hotel Galvez, Tremont, and Hilton wanted way more per night so like you said for the total experience of getting to watch my ship come in:rolleyes: I think it was a pretty fair price!!!! Now if September would just hurry up and get here....;):D

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Harbor House on Pier 21 and it is within walking distance of The Conquest. But try and book your hotel on-line. My sister saved almost $100 by using a national known on-line hotel booking company instead of booking through the hotel. And we had a wonderful view of the ships coming into port the morning of the cruise.

All: Thanks for your recommendations! I LOVE CC!!

I just talked to Harbor House to clarify the parking situation. You pay $10/day for each night you stay there, plus $20 for the duration of the cruise. They do not have covered or gated parking, but it is patrolled by Harbor police. There's is a lever-type gate for entering/exiting. It still sounds like a GREAT deal!!

I just booked a night at Harbor House for a cruise in October. If you book a room on Galveston.com then you can park for free during the cruise. We cruised a couple years ago and stayed at Harbor House. We booked on galveston.com and parked for free during our cruise. But, you may find a cheaper rate on another website and that may make up for the parking fee.

All: Thanks for your recommendations! I LOVE CC!!

I just talked to Harbor House to clarify the parking situation. You pay $10/day for each night you stay there, plus $20 for the duration of the cruise. They do not have covered or gated parking, but it is patrolled by Harbor police. There's is a lever-type gate for entering/exiting. It still sounds like a GREAT deal!!

Plus, it's close enough that you can even walk to and from the pier!

We, (Me, husband, my sister and her husband), are leaving Sept 13 on Conquest. We are flying down the day before we leave and I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere nice, but not too expensive to stay in Galveston. We won't have a car, so I was hoping to find something close to the port. Also when you fly down early how do you usually get to the ship, shuttle, taxi etc.? I've been online today researching hotels, but it just gets me confused. I would be greatful for any suggestions. Thanks:D

The best place was the one & only "Flagship"; it is being re-built following damage by hurricaine ike. It is built over the water and is absolutely wonderful. The next best is Hotel Galvez; it's elegant but across the street from the beach.

• 4 weeks later...

Are there any other hotels besides The Harbour where you can watch The Conquest sail in while in Galveston? We're sailing November 21st & plan on staying the night. I'd love to start the day by seeing that!

Are there any other hotels besides The Harbour where you can watch The Conquest sail in while in Galveston? We're sailing November 21st & plan on staying the night. I'd love to start the day by seeing that!

The only other hotel down there close to the pier is Tremont House. I'm not sure if you can get a view of the harbor from down there as it is a few blocks away...certainly not the view that you would get from the Harbor House hotel. However, it is a nice, historic hotel and next to the Galvez, it's a favorite!

My husband and I have some Travel rewards and were thinking of using them towards the Best Western (this is the only hotel option). I read one review on the one in Texas City but my husband wants to stay in Galveston so the night before we can walk the beach and have dinner... any comments or concerns on the Best Western??? We were thinking of parking our vehicle at EZcruise either way so cruise parking or shuttles do not really matter to us.

The only other hotel down there close to the pier is Tremont House. I'm not sure if you can get a view of the harbor from down there as it is a few blocks away...certainly not the view that you would get from the Harbor House hotel. However, it is a nice, historic hotel and next to the Galvez, it's a favorite!

On top of Treemont there is open air veranda,

that provides a great view of port from up high.

Whether or not open that early??????

From Treemont walk out door go two blocks

and down two blocks you are at Harbor House and pier.

Watch from there.

My husband and I have some Travel rewards and were thinking of using them towards the Best Western (this is the only hotel option). I read one review on the one in Texas City but my husband wants to stay in Galveston so the night before we can walk the beach and have dinner... any comments or concerns on the Best Western??? We were thinking of parking our vehicle at EZcruise either way so cruise parking or shuttles do not really matter to us.

see website on internet with lots of reviews

On top of Treemont there is open air veranda,

that provides a great view of port from up high.

Whether or not open that early??????

From Treemont walk out door go two blocks

and down two blocks you are at Harbor House and pier.

Watch from there.

I didn't even think about the veranda on the roof of the hotel...you definitely would be able to see the port from there. I love the Tremont House and it's close proximity to the Port of Galveston and The Strand! We've stayed there several times just for weekend getaways. It is indeed a very short walk to the pier from the hotel.

• 2 weeks later...
For those that have actually taken a shuttle through a hotel I have a question.

Where did the shuttle drop / pick you up at the pier?

Cheryl...

It was usually right where we came out of the terminal building. We just told the porter that we were riding the Galvez or Hilton shuttle, and he led us to the spot.

And we were dropped off closer to the other end, but the porters came out immediately to load our luggage.

For those that have actually taken a shuttle through a hotel I have a question.

Where did the shuttle drop / pick you up at the pier?

Seems like they told us 4 arches back, but might have been 5, but they told us which arch to come to in order to catch the shuttle back.

We stayed at The Galvez for a wedding this past weekend and I was surprised to see they are renovating the hotel again. We stayed on the 2nd floor which was recently renovated. It has new carpeting, all new furniture...kind of surprised at the furniture because it's very contemporary...a big switch from the traditional furniture they've had for a while. New beds, bedding, etc. The bathrooms remained the same except for new light fixtures and mirrors. It was a nice surprise! The hotel employees said they are renovating one floor at a time and should be finished in about a year. BTW...we also had a great time at the wedding and reception that were both held at the hotel. Their staff really does a great job!

Archived