Hotel in Ft. Lauderdale

hlv71

You are saying that the Holiday Inn Express is one block from the entrance? If so, where would you put the Renaissance?

The Renaissance is even closer. Maybe you thought that they meant the HIE on State Rd 84, which is a couple of miles from the south port entrance. There is a HIE on 17th St a block west of the port entrance/Eisenhower Blvd. The Renaissance is between the port and the HIE.

You can buy wine at Target, but Publix has a very good selection. You can also buy wine at CVS, Walgreens, Kmart, etc. Wine isn't sold on Sundays until noon anywhere.

There is also Total Wine, which is fairly close to the cruiseport, but I wouldn't recommend walking. You can actually order on line, and they will have your order available for pick up, or if ordering more than $250, they will deliver......incredible selection. The selection at Publix has proven adequate, though not extraordinary.

Did you dispute the charge with the CC company?

Yes, without success. I don't hold any ill will toward the credit card company, now on the otherhand the inflexible hotel...:mad:

P.A.

How did you get a $98 rate at Hyatt Place? I have a $109 thru Valuetrips and I called Hyatt Place direct because so many have said $98 and all they could do was $152 senior.

Are you using a web site? I'd love to know which one since you had a lower rate at Sleep Inn as well.

P.A.

How did you get a $98 rate at Hyatt Place? I have a $109 thru Valuetrips and I called Hyatt Place direct because so many have said $98 and all they could do was $152 senior.

Are you using a web site? I'd love to know which one since you had a lower rate at Sleep Inn as well.

You aren't comparing apples with apples. Your cruise is in November, Pam's cruise is in October. Same hotel, different times, different prices.

P.A.

Pia is correct, it is based on travel date. But I first just checked online and noticed they offered a AAA rate but couldn't do it online for some reason, so I called them directly. She gave me that rate. Then I called back a few mins later and booked another room for my sister and her husband and ask if I could book two rooms at the AAA rate and she said yes, so got two rooms at $98 each, plus tax of course. I do know that the AAA discount is not really that much but hey, every little bit helps! I tried the valuetrips.com but can't get anywhere on it, the page freezes everytime. Have tried several browsers too. I sent them an email.

As far as the $79 rate at Sleep Inn. I really lucked out on that rate! I think the guy might have messed up or something! But I have it booked and do have a conformation number and have my C.C. secured. And my sister got in on that rate too!

FYI....I have always had luck with anything by just calling the hotel/airline/rental car agency, etc directly. I'm sure you can get a good price on things through Priceline, etc, but i don't like the fact that I don't know where I would be staying, or flight times etc. I've done Priceline one time but it wasn't a bid. I picked the flights, etc.

Good luck to you!

There is also Total Wine, which is fairly close to the cruiseport, but I wouldn't recommend walking. You can actually order on line, and they will have your order available for pick up, or if ordering more than $250, they will deliver......incredible selection. The selection at Publix has proven adequate, though not extraordinary.

I can heartily endorse the Total Wine store. It's probably about 1/4 mile from the pier and yes, you can order online. I do not know whether they will cancel the charge for your purchase if for some reason you don't make it there, but it's so easy to grab a cab. The advantage here over, say, the Target or Publix is the fabulous selection of wines and beer at good prices. The problem is you get in there and tend to wander around looking at all the choices (and what's on sale) while the meter is running. I'd recommend this place if you make a list of exactly what you want to buy, pick it up and pay for it, and return to the ship. We bought quite a bit of beer and wine just prior to a particularly long cruise and that's all we brought back onboard as we had already dropped our carry-on stuff in our cabin. People saw us going up the gangway to enter the ship and said, "hey, they're not going to let you on with all that are they?" I just shrugged my shoulders and they waited to see. When we got thru without a problem I went back to the top of the gangway, gave them a thumbs up, and they cheered and raced off.

I can heartily endorse the Total Wine store. It's probably about 1/4 mile from the pier and yes, you can order online. I do not know whether they will cancel the charge for your purchase if for some reason you don't make it there, but it's so easy to grab a cab. The advantage here over, say, the Target or Publix is the fabulous selection of wines and beer at good prices. The problem is you get in there and tend to wander around looking at all the choices (and what's on sale) while the meter is running. I'd recommend this place if you make a list of exactly what you want to buy, pick it up and pay for it, and return to the ship. We bought quite a bit of beer and wine just prior to a particularly long cruise and that's all we brought back onboard as we had already dropped our carry-on stuff in our cabin. People saw us going up the gangway to enter the ship and said, "hey, they're not going to let you on with all that are they?" I just shrugged my shoulders and they waited to see. When we got thru without a problem I went back to the top of the gangway, gave them a thumbs up, and they cheered and raced off.

Just curious...when you returned to the ship with all your wine/liquor, was it in a concealed bag or open or what? I've always heard they won't let you on with it. It would be my luck they wouldn't.

We walked right across the street and into the port from the Renaissance for our Ruby cruise. ;)

Colo -- we are staying at the Ren and would like to do the same -- I read somewhere that you could NOT walk to the port as security would not let you in unless you were in a vehicle. Was there a problem getting into the port on foot? Please advise. THANK YOU!

I've got a room booked at the Embassy Suites for our December 4 Ruby cruise......does anyone know if they provide shuttle service to the pier? Or is it within walking distance?

Thanks!

Colo -- we are staying at the Ren and would like to do the same -- I read somewhere that you could NOT walk to the port as security would not let you in unless you were in a vehicle. Was there a problem getting into the port on foot? Please advise. THANK YOU!

We walked in too, though not recently. Perhaps something has changed. I think Keith's walk was more recent than ours.

I've got a room booked at the Embassy Suites for our December 4 Ruby cruise......does anyone know if they provide shuttle service to the pier? Or is it within walking distance?

Thanks!

Yes, they have shuttle service. It's walkable, but not practical.

Definately try PriceLine....We bid online thru Priceline and won the Renaissance Fort Lauderdale. We are cruising on the Emerald Princess on Oct 25th, and will be in Fort Lauderdale the day before. We Paid only $59 + Tax for this hotel which normally sells for over $199 + per night. This is a 4 Star hotel and a very short distance from the Pier and close to the Airport as well. When Bidding we Selected #2 Downtown Area and 4 Star.

Good Luck in your bidding and enjoy your cruise.

Having never used Priceline, I was wondering did you offer the bid price of $59 + tax? Or did they come up with that price when they assigned you the hotel? I appreciate any feedback on this question as we will be doing the Grand in January and have found hotel rates to be quite exorbitant for just to sleep there the night prior to the cruise. Thanx for any helpful advice on this as we do wish to be in the 17 Street area and current rack rates there for January are high.

Having never used Priceline, I was wondering did you offer the bid price of $59 + tax? Or did they come up with that price when they assigned you the hotel? I appreciate any feedback on this question as we will be doing the Grand in January and have found hotel rates to be quite exorbitant for just to sleep there the night prior to the cruise. Thanx for any helpful advice on this as we do wish to be in the 17 Street area and current rack rates there for January are high.

I bid $59 for Oct 25 and got the Ren - it is plus tax. You probably will not get that good of a rate in January. October is still pre-season. January through March and April is high season and the same hotel will probably cost you close to or above $200.

Your bid on Priceline does not include any taxes or insurance ($5).

Ron

We walked to the Ruby inaugural last Nov, you just stop at the guard shack and show your ID and walk right in, it is really not bad at all.

As we left the hotel we watched everybody queing up outside for taxi's so after we got in line at the terminal the people from the hotel started arriving with their taxi's.

We walked to the Ruby inaugural last Nov, you just stop at the guard shack and show your ID and walk right in, it is really not bad at all.

As we left the hotel we watched everybody queing up outside for taxi's so after we got in line at the terminal the people from the hotel started arriving with their taxi's.

Thanks Colo -- that is what we will plan to do -- I hate standing in line for such a short trip -- we only bring one roll on suitcase each -- so we should be fine. THANKS!!

Thanks Colo -- that is what we will plan to do -- I hate standing in line for such a short trip -- we only bring one roll on suitcase each -- so we should be fine. THANKS!!

Just make sure your ship will be docked at pier 2, otherwise you could have a very long walk - Port Everglades is a big port.

Ron

Just curious...when you returned to the ship with all your wine/liquor, was it in a concealed bag or open or what? I've always heard they won't let you on with it. It would be my luck they wouldn't.

We have never been challenged or had any difficulty whatsoever bringing wine and beer on board, in the relative open. Hard liquor might be confiscated, they have a no hard liquor policy, and we have seen that happen in San Diego. Could have happened elsewhere, it was very prominent in San Diego.

We have embarked in LA with a rolling carryon filled with wine and beer (it was a b2b2b and we were packin' for 6 people), had carryons with 2 wine bottles each in them, used a small 4 bottle carrier with no problem. Between FLL, San Diego, Vancouver and LA we never had an issue. Trying out Brooklyn at the end of August, hope not to have a problem either.

I've stayed at the Marriott and Renaissance, both very nice but on the pricey side, especially the Marriott. On the lower end, the Comfort Inn Cruiseport offers airport pickup, breakfast, and transfers to the ship at a reasonable price. For our upcoming cruise in November, we are staying at the Candlewood Suites at the airport, (used hotel points), and they offer airport pickup and a transfer to the ship in the morning.

Have and will! :cool:

We have had an extra day or two the last couple of times from FLL, so we have stayed at the Marriott Harbor Beach. But, I think next time, we'll go back to the Renaissance so that we can walk. We both loooooove to walk, and I would like to get a nice walk in before boarding. We have never really had a day in FLL that it wasn't pleasant for walking.

I have heard people say they do this, but we've never tried -- we're going to join you on the sidewalk next time! Definitely not worthing doing it to save $10, but worth doing it because it's pleasant to do!

Archived