Norfolk, VA. Cruise Terminal

bayrunner19966

Has anyone been thruogh the Norfolk, VA. Crouise terminal. We are booked on Horizon sailing on 9/11/04. (I know.)

I heard it is a big tent/quancet hut type structure. Supposed to be temporary until they build a permenant one.

How do they handle the baggage. We will be driving to Norfolk.

Galaxy 04/03

Rapsody Of The Sea 12/01-01/02

Hi Bayrunner!

I'm on the same cruise as you. FINALLY someone else who is "brave" enough to leave on September 11th!

Anyway, I went out of the Norfolk port a few weeks ago on HAL's Maasdam. We were supposed to be able to board around 3:00 and leave at five, I think. Unfortunately, so many people didn't get the message that the ship would be leaving that late and they must have gotten there much early that day. We got there around 1:30, we were still one of the last groups to board around 5, even though they really did start boarding at 3. Unfortunately for us, our ship didn't leave until a little after 10 that night. We were told that they had "longshoreman issues." I understand that it hasn't anymore except for our trip!

We gave our checked bags to a porter, who took them off to who knows where. We then had to wait in Nauticus, which is the science/aquarium building acting as the holding pen until a permanent terminal is built in a few years. Once our group number got called (#29 - and each group had 50 people in it!), we went outside to an enclosed tent-like area where we checked in with the HAL staff. We then went through security and walked outside the tent to go to the gangway to get on the ship. By the time we got to our room, most of our bags were there. The others arrived within about 15 minutes of the time we got to the room.

Our embarkation was a mess because the Maasdam kept getting in late to Norfolk and there were about 1,200 people sitting in Nauticus for hours waiting to get on the ship. There aren't a lot of seats in there, either, so lots of us ended up sitting on the floor. I believe this problem was unique to the Maasdam because of the itinerary. I don't anticipate the same problems with the Horizon.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Hi,

Bayrunner, glad to finally see someone else on the same cruise! Carolyn, thanks for the info, hopefully we won't have such a long wait, but we will be prepared.

Is it only April???

I'll be on the Zenith leaving from NYC on 9/11 icon_biggrin.gif Everyone thinks it's a big deal, but quiet honestly, I think cruising in the middle of the Atlantic is a lot safer than many other things I could be doing... like going to work (since I work in Washington DC)

Celebrity Zenith to Bermuda - 9/11/04

We're sailing 9/11 on the Century. The date crossed my mind as I was considering booking this one. I figured "screw 'em". We're all not going to be hiding under the covers at home that day- we'll all be going about our business. Yes, the victims are, frankly, always on my mind, and always will be. But, we're better than the animals responsible for these acts, and I will not let that alter my life. When I do, they win. Sorry to go off on that diatribe. I know it was no where near the topic. Nauticus is actually pretty nice, and there are some very nice shops, restaurants, and a nice mall right there. Enjoy your cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;9;11;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

'til the cruise of the Century

Celebrity Horizon '97

RCCL Sovereign '98

Grand Princess '99

RCCL Enchantment '00

Ocean Princess '01

RCCL Radiance '02

Golden Princess 4/5/03

RCCL Navigator 1/10/04

Celebrity Century 9/11/04

Diamond Princess-Alaska 9/05

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lois R:

denb..... Celebrity's Victory? icon_eek.gif Did you mean to say Carnival?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks Lois. Yes, I meant Carnival. I guess I have Celebrity on the brain...

<marquee direction=left width=33%> Time left until Galaxy - April 26th, 2004 </marquee>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;4;26;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

My parents are highly considering the 9/11 cruise out of Norfolk on the Horizon. I think it will be fine. Hope they get the embarkadation worked out though. We sailed out of Baltimore last Oct. Getting on was a ease, but getting off was grueling.

We are sailing in June to Alaska,cant wait.

enjoy everyone

Susan

Thanks for the info on the Norfolk Cruise Terminal.

A late arriving ship always manages to screw things up.

Lets hope the Horizon will be on time.

I was told by the terminal people that wheelchair s are available for those that need them.

Parking is $10.00/day with shuttle service back to the terminal.

Hope to chat with those of you that are sailing on the Horizon on 9/11/04

Holland American was having problems with the Maasdam running late, and causing all sorts of headaches with embarkation. About a month ago they changed the itinerary to get the ship back in time. Since then people have been reporting smooth embarkation in Norfolk. No reason to assume different with Celebrity.

Archived