Snorkel off beach vs. Glass Bottom Boat w/ Victor

Host Carolyn

Going on Victor's tour but not sure if we want to do snorkeling off West End beach or the glass bottom boat..

Any recommendations on which is best? 3 snorkel in our group and 3 don't...

When are you going and what ship are you on? We are taking the GBB Tour with Victor and it is only an additional 15.00 plus equipment if you don't have your own. My hubby doesn't snorkel either, but he is going on the boat too.

Going on Victor's tour but not sure if we want to do snorkeling off West End beach or the glass bottom boat..

Any recommendations on which is best? 3 snorkel in our group and 3 don't...

I have done both and the snorkelling was better offshore. However, you could split up and do both with Victor. When we went out on the glass bottom boat, we left our stuff at Half Moon Bay [we were able to hold two chairs by the water while we were out]. Since Richard will pick you up, some could hang out and snorkel of the beach and others could go out on the boat. I highly recommend going out to the reef though- I enjoyed the view much more.

MDSue thanks for your reply. I am one of the possible snorkelers in Caroline's group. Can you tell me if the coral is near the surface off the shore? How is the current if you snorkle off the boat? Thanks for your help.

Kathy

... and how deep is water if you snorkel off the boat? There "could" be another snorkeler... just don't to the deep water stuff.

NCarolina- While the reef is fairly shallow, you need to really swim alongside of it so as not to brush against it. Offshore, the current was not a problem on the day we were out. It does drop down quite a bit in places, There were divers below us in some places. I had a life preserver that I swam along with for safety. I found them cumbersome to wear but easy to bring one along while swimming.

One of the reasons I didn't like snorkelling right off the shore [the reef is right there also] was because I was afraid the current was going to push me into them when I got close. They were very close to the surface. The water was also a but cloudy in the morning near shore, however, later in the day, the conditions were much better and there were a lot of people snorkelling from shore. If you are worried about the water being deep then I would either have a life-jacket with you or snorkel from the beach.

On my next post- I'll include some pictures of near shore and off shore.

I took this picture from the water while snorkelling at the Blue Channel

2328165090104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

swimming alongside the reef:

2635725380104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

you can see the waves breaking over the reef here [offshore]

2030949600105078574S600x600Q85.jpg

This is a view from Half Moon Bay. You can see the waves breaking over the reef in the distance. There is plenty of shallow snorkelling from here also. The dock for the glass bottom boat is very close by

2969252570105078574S600x600Q85.jpg

You can see the dock from here:

2585080450105078574S600x600Q85.jpg

Love your pictures :) Thank for posting them...

Victor suggested going to Half Moon Bay for snorkeling .. assuming they have a place to get drink, something to eat.. we haven't decided yet. bummer is we are only here 8-3:00 so only really have about 5.5 hours for the entire "tour"...

Archived