Melbourne Cup Cruise J033 2010

Kruzein

I'm happy have booked another cruise. Something different to the South Pacfic and a group of us are goin to do the Melbourne Cup Cruise and i know it will be a great experience. :D

Now to start a rollcall and get some more to join us as my other group members are not on the forum :rolleyes:

Cheers

• 8 months later...
I'm happy have booked another cruise. Something different to the South Pacfic and a group of us are goin to do the Melbourne Cup Cruise and i know it will be a great experience. :DCheers

Hi Kruzein,

Just a question on this cruise.

Does the cruise include transport and admission to Flemington?

Hi Kruzein,

Just a question on this cruise.

Does the cruise include transport and admission to Flemington?

Hello David

Yes it does, it includes transfers to and from Flemington and General admission to the raceday and you can upgrade it if you like to one of the grandstand or seated areas.

cheers

Thats great...

We have been lucky enough to have been to 2 Melbourne Cups,

once on our own ,

and once on a cruise with Norwegian Star

when it was down here.

It sure is an amazing day,

and an experience we will never forget.

The best one was with the cruise,

as we just went down the gangway,

boarded a bus and then we were there.....

and at the end of the day,

found the bus in a special car park ,

and back to the ship...

no hassles.

Make sure you buy a pin on the day.

We did and every year the Cup is run

we drag them out and wear them for the day.

Its a great memento.

We went on this cruise last year as a large group and had a fantastic time. We paid an extra $265 on Melbourne Cup day and opted for one of the marquee areas-this was FANTASTIC and worth every penny! We had a welcome champers, shade, tables and chairs, a booky, a hamper lunch, a coffeee, a betting book, toilets, a huge screen so we missed none of the action, reserved seating in the grandstand for when you wanted to get up close and personal and a bar-all in a special gated area-it was heavan compared to the mad crush in the public areas-i would never do it any other way-there is over 100,000 people on race dAy so you can imagine the madness! You book through Flemington Racecourse itself as it is seperate to the cruise-they bring out the brochure in about July and offer various packages starting at 1000's of dollars and down to 100,s of dollars-it is well worth considering-turned a great day into a FANTASTIC one!

Have fun and back a winner!

Thats great...

We have been lucky enough to have been to 2 Melbourne Cups,

once on our own ,

and once on a cruise with Norwegian Star

when it was down here.

It sure is an amazing day,

and an experience we will never forget.

The best one was with the cruise,

as we just went down the gangway,

boarded a bus and then we were there.....

and at the end of the day,

found the bus in a special car park ,

and back to the ship...

no hassles.

Make sure you buy a pin on the day.

We did and every year the Cup is run

we drag them out and wear them for the day.

Its a great memento.

Well this is something we have always wanted to do and thought that the crusie just mad sense with it being our accomodation and meals etc and the transfers will make it so much easier.

I will buy a pin, where do you purchase them from? Is there an outlet at the racecourse? If you can think of anything else that may assist us it would be appreciated. I am looking forward to. :D

Cheers

We went on this cruise last year as a large group and had a fantastic time. We paid an extra $265 on Melbourne Cup day and opted for one of the marquee areas-this was FANTASTIC and worth every penny! We had a welcome champers, shade, tables and chairs, a booky, a hamper lunch, a coffeee, a betting book, toilets, a huge screen so we missed none of the action, reserved seating in the grandstand for when you wanted to get up close and personal and a bar-all in a special gated area-it was heavan compared to the mad crush in the public areas-i would never do it any other way-there is over 100,000 people on race dAy so you can imagine the madness! You book through Flemington Racecourse itself as it is seperate to the cruise-they bring out the brochure in about July and offer various packages starting at 1000's of dollars and down to 100,s of dollars-it is well worth considering-turned a great day into a FANTASTIC one!

Have fun and back a winner!

Thank you so much Pearler for your assistence with the package we do want to buy something as we have an older lady with us and she wont be able to stand or get intot he hustle and bustle all day so will be wanting somewhere to sit and soak up the atmosphere and this sounds like just what we are looking for i have joined up with Flemington racecourse and am on the mailing list but will definentely be purchasing this when it is offered. If you have any other tips that may assist us to make the day a memorable one it will be appreciated.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Actually my dad was part of our group and he has terrible mobility-he had a hip replacement 8 weeks prior to sailing and was on a frame and unable to walk long distances-and we did have to walk up a steep incline when we got there-but the staff at Flemington were fantastic and went and got him a golf cart to get him to our marquee area-they sais if we had of rung ahead they would have had a golf cart ready when he hopped off the bus-so might be worth ringing ahead. But definately i would go for the marquee areas as there is no way dad would have coped in the open areas. Good luck!

Actually my dad was part of our group and he has terrible mobility-he had a hip replacement 8 weeks prior to sailing and was on a frame and unable to walk long distances-and we did have to walk up a steep incline when we got there-but the staff at Flemington were fantastic and went and got him a golf cart to get him to our marquee area-they sais if we had of rung ahead they would have had a golf cart ready when he hopped off the bus-so might be worth ringing ahead. But definately i would go for the marquee areas as there is no way dad would have coped in the open areas. Good luck!

Hi Pearler

You have helped immensely and now we have it down to 2 choices the 1st is a new enclosure called Riverside which includes entry to the enclosure a seat on outdoor furniture which you can book and a few other things + reserve seatin in the lawn stand. Option 2 is the Saintly restaurant wheich is a little more expensive in the $500 mark but includes inside seating plus reserved stand seating 2 minutes away also 3 course lunch and morning and afternoon tea + beer, wine, bubbles, soft drink and coffee so becasue of everything under the one roof i am going toward that it is extra but it will be a once in a lifetime experience so might as well do it in style. I have my hat already just need the rest to go with it

Thanks again for the ideas :)

cheers

Hey Lisa I just realised we'll both be cruising at the same time just in different parts of the world :D:D:D.

We will Rose we will have to send a message in a bottle to each other :p

cheers

• 1 month later...

5 Months or 153 days to go til we cruise to Melb Cup... I am waiting til August when the stand tickets are released and will upgrade from the GA that is included in the price to a stand as there are some older people in the group and they wont be able to stnad and walk around all day :D

Wont take long to come around now.

cheers

5 Months or 153 days to go til we cruise to Melb Cup... I am waiting til August when the stand tickets are released and will upgrade from the GA that is included in the price to a stand as there are some older people in the group and they wont be able to stnad and walk around all day :D

Wont take long to come around now.

cheers

Hi Kruzein

I was at Melb Cup last year (not with a cruise). Just thought I would give you a heads up since you will have some older people in your group. We were in a marquee & when it came time to go up into the stand to watch the big race there were lots of steps to walk up, about 3-4 steep flights if I remember correctly. We asked if there was a lift or some other way to get up as my mother is older as well but we were told there was only the stairs. Of course there may be some other way up or easier access from a different end/side so you might want to check ahead of time.

Have a great time:)

Hi Kruzein

I was at Melb Cup last year (not with a cruise). Just thought I would give you a heads up since you will have some older people in your group. We were in a marquee & when it came time to go up into the stand to watch the big race there were lots of steps to walk up, about 3-4 steep flights if I remember correctly. We asked if there was a lift or some other way to get up as my mother is older as well but we were told there was only the stairs. Of course there may be some other way up or easier access from a different end/side so you might want to check ahead of time.

Have a great time:)

Hi Spanish eyes

Thanks for that information we are looking at a couple of options atm. We also have to consider financial ability for some of the group as well so i think it will be a headache to be honest but we have to meet somewhere iin the middle.. I am happy to stay in the general section but will go with the flow.. They have introduced a couple of new marquee areas this year but as you say you have to get to the seat in the stand and if it were stairs then maybe they will go up halfway thru the day and stay there. The stand tickets go on sale to the public in August so will look at it then if not they can take a fold up stool to sit on :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. Our group has just booked into the Riverside Enclosure which will satisfy everyone it was extra however it guarantees a stand seat and also cover if it rains etc so were are happy with that. So thanks again for everyones advice and help it was much appreciated :D 143 days to go :eek: better start working on the outfit to go with the hat that i have already bought

cheers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

2 months today til we cruise on the 150th Anniversary of the Melbourne Cup. This will be our first Balcony Cabin so really looking forward to it. :D

We have also bought tickets in the Riverview enclosre

I see this cruise is an "Adult Only" cruise and no kids or teenagers can be booked on it. Is this the only cruise this happens? Also it doesn't show up on the P&O site as part of the PJ sailings.

I think that would be to do with the betting legislation, as on the cruise they run sweeps etc,

at least they did when we did a Cup Cruise.

I think that would be to do with the betting legislation, as on the cruise they run sweeps etc,

at least they did when we did a Cup Cruise.

David

On an earlier post you mentioned that you get the pins from the melbourne cup. I have just ordered 4 and i want to give you 1 to add to your collection it is the 150th Anniversary pin if you would like it. I can put an email addy up here if you do want the pin.

I dont mind if it is child free it probably isnt a real good cruise for kids anyway

cheers

Archived