Converters needed in Europe?

Warm Weather Fan

I will be on the Summit in August and assume we don't need an electrical converter, but I will also be spending some nights in Barcelona and Venice at hotels, and wondering if I need a converter there, and what type.

Thanks for your help.

The Summit (and all Celebrity ships) have 110V and 220V outlets in every cabin, so you don't need a converter on the ship. Europe in general (Barcelona and Venice are definelty included here) uses a 220V, 50Hz power system, so you will need a converter. Check the labels on whatever equipment you need to have with you. Many modern devices, such as camera and laptop chargers, will accept a wide range of input voltage (for example, the label may say something like "Input: 100-240V, 50-60Hz). This means that you just need a plug converter that makes the two flat prongs fit into the two round prongs of a European outlet. Devices that only accept 110V will need a transformer-type converter that actually changes the voltage from 220 to 110 to avoid frying your device. You should be able to find a kit that includes the transformer and plug converters at any store that sells luggage and it shouldn't cost more that $30.

I will be on the Summit in August and assume we don't need an electrical converter, but I will also be spending some nights in Barcelona and Venice at hotels, and wondering if I need a converter there, and what type.

Thanks for your help.

It depends on what you are wanting to use? Can you be specific about what appliances, or electronic devices you plan to use there?

For instance... you cannot use a curling iron or hair straightener with or WITHOUT a converter. You have to have one that operates on 220 or you have to buy one that is dual voltage (which are a piece of crap). A converter will do you NO good for anything with a heating element that is in a hair appliance. Most decent hotels will have blow dryers.

My husband has used a converter with his shaver and that works well enough.

Most of your newer cameras, cell phones, and laptop chargers will work with just an adapter alone. Make sure... but all of mine just require an adapter.

Shapiros has the best supply of adapters that I have found. Get a universal two prong - grounded - adapter. This works for almost everything. This universal adapter even worked with my 220 hair straightener that I got in the UK so I can finally have something that works in Europe... but I still needed the adapter so it fit in the wall in Italy.

Let me know if I can help you further.

It depends on what you are wanting to use? Can you be specific about what appliances, or electronic devices you plan to use there?

For instance... you cannot use a curling iron or hair straightener with or WITHOUT a converter. You have to have one that operates on 220 or you have to buy one that is dual voltage (which are a piece of crap). A converter will do you NO good for anything with a heating element that is in a hair appliance. Most decent hotels will have blow dryers.

My husband has used a converter with his shaver and that works well enough.

Most of your newer cameras, cell phones, and laptop chargers will work with just an adapter alone. Make sure... but all of mine just require an adapter.

Shapiros has the best supply of adapters that I have found. Get a universal two prong - grounded - adapter. This works for almost everything. This universal adapter even worked with my 220 hair straightener that I got in the UK so I can finally have something that works in Europe... but I still needed the adapter so it fit in the wall in Italy.

Let me know if I can help you further.

I have used my curling iron, hot rollers and steam rollers all over the world, using converters and plug adapters with no problem.

You'll need (2) different converters: 1 for the hair straightener and 1 for the electronic devices (ipod, camera, etc.)

Most "travel converters" are designed for personal electronics (it will say on the box somewhere) and have a low wattage rating.

Anything with a heating element will need a travel converter designed for heating appliances-typically these will have a wattage rating over 1200 or so.

Somewhere on your hair straightener it should say how many watts its rated for - you want to make sure your converter is rated for an equal or greater wattage. The converter will say its made for hair dryers or "heating appliances".

My wife brought her hair straightener to Italy and we found an appropriate 220->110 converter in Florence. Mind you, when she plugged in the hair straightener when it was "off" it would still light up and get slightly warm (the converter was a bit much for it).

Take a good look at the chargers you have now for your camera and Ipod. Chances are they say that they'll work on 220V current. If so all you need is a plug adaptor - these run under $10. You want one that converts to the round prong European style - like this one on Amazon - click here.

Converters are another matter. We've stayed away from them as we know several people who have ruined their appliances with them. If you feel you have to have one - don't skimp and make sure it is designed for the type of appliance you're using it on. These are not generic - in most cases you need different types for battery chargers and your hair dryer. Although I've seem some pretty expensive ones that claim to do it all. You might find it is cheaper to buy a 220V hair straightener than a converter.

Thanks for your help.

What are you taking in the way of electricals? If its camera battery charger, I-Pod charger

these are probably dual voltage so CONVERTER will not be necessary. ADAPTOR plugs will probably be needed as shape of outlet is different than in US. Check with your manufacturers. Go to Magellens.com- great source for all things travel. They have an entire section on electricals.

Carole

Thanks for all the info. I actually need it for a hair straightener, plus an ipod and camera charger.

My wife bought a 220 hair straightner that she takes with her everytime we go to Europe. As far as Ipod and camera charger, check to see what the voltage is. Most are 110/220 rated and all you will need is the plug adapter. http://www.voltageconverters.com/plug_adapters.html

The GS-9 or GS-104 should be sufficient for your Ipod and camera charger.

Archived