Carnival Bread Pudding

tggs726

I was blown away on my recent Miracle cruise by the two bread puddings that were served for desert. One was a white chocolate whith almonds and the other i beleive was a bitter blanc or something like that. They were amazing and even better than the Grand Manier Souffle which has been my favorite for years. Anyone else share these thoughts? Do they have these on the entire fleet now?

I was blown away on my recent Miracle cruise by the two bread puddings that were served for desert. One was a white chocolate whith almonds and the other i beleive was a bitter blanc or something like that. They were amazing and even better than the Grand Manier Souffle which has been my favorite for years. Anyone else share these thoughts? Do they have these on the entire fleet now?

I tried both. I still favor the souffle'.

The bitter and blanc has been around for awhile. It is always one of my favorite desserts. But, the white chocolate bread pudding must be new. I haven't seen that one on the menu yet. It sounds delicious!

I think that the bitter and blanc is my favorite dessert on Carnival with my second favorite being the chocolate melting cake.

A friend of mine didn't want to try the bitter and blanc because she "hated" bread pudding, she ordered one and was in heaven, she loved it!

The bitter & Blanc is my favorite dessert on the ship.

Joanne

I love the bread puddings, the chocolate melting cake, the souffles and once I had this pear desert that was to die for. I only ordered it because I was not hungry but the waiter wanted me to order something, so I did. I ate every morsal. YUMMY.

I love Bitter and Blanc. IT is my favorite dessert. I wish it was on the menu every night like the warm chocolate melting cake. I prefer Bitter and Blanc to the warm chocolate melting cake. I usually only have the warm chocolate melting cake once. If Bitter and Blanc was on the menu every night, I would probably have it every night.

I have done 3 Carnival cruises this year. 5 days on the Carnival Fantasy in March, 6 days on the Carnival Freedom in June, and 5 days on the Holiday in July. Bitter and Blanc was served on the Carnival Fantasy and the Holiday, but not on the Carnival Freedom. I don't know why it wasn't served on the Carnival Freedom.

Bitter and Blanc is my favorite too.

But sometimes it is much better than others.

Last summer on Fantasy I convinced our tablemates to order it and it was not good.

Overcooked and totally dried out.

The people thought that I was wack to have suggested it.

Having grown up in New Orleans, I don't care for any of Carnival's versions of bread pudding. Give me some bread pudding with whiskey sauce any day!

AMEN to that. Us cajuns/creoles like us some whiskey sauce.;):D

So what is Bitter Blanc a dark chocolate bread pudding?

From http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7099806&postcount=93

The recipe includes (for 700 sevings shocked.gif):

Egg yolk 15 lb

Sugar 10 lb

Brioche bread 36 no. ( 9 four inch pans)

Heavy cream 14 ea

White chocolate 40 lbs

Butter 15 lbs

Meringue :

Egg whites 12 lb

Sugar 8 lb

For Vanilla sauce :

Milk 6 ltr

Sugar 1 kg

Corn flour 300 gms

Egg yolks 40 ea

Vanilla extract few drops

For greasing :

Butter solids 4 lbs

Sugar 6 lb

Ganache 8 lb

See here for the 8 serving recipe 20shxqv.gif : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7252918&postcount=98

I love Bitter and Blanc. IT is my favorite dessert. I wish it was on the menu every night like the warm chocolate melting cake. I prefer Bitter and Blanc to the warm chocolate melting cake. I usually only have the warm chocolate melting cake once. If Bitter and Blanc was on the menu every night, I would probably have it every night.

I totally agree! Unlike the majority on this board, I'm not that crazy about the warm chocolate melting cake. I can take it or leave it. (too rich for me) But the Bitter and Blanc?! Now that's a different story entirely! I'd order it every night!

Mmmmmmm..... LOVE the bitter and blanc. I haven't tried the white chocolate version but you can bet I will in 32 days! :D (Another not-so-much a fan of WCMC.) I also love the Grand Marnier soufle as well as the creme brulee.

Thanks for reposting this. It cracks me up that this recipe keeps on coming up on these boards over and over again.

I am forever indebted to my chef friend who cut the recipe down for me from 700 to 8 servings!! Bitter n Blanc is the best dessert ever! Enjoy!

I know bitter and blanc was near the end of the cruise.

I LOVED the b and b. But it runs a close race with Paula Deen's bread pudding, which is served in her buffet restaurant in Tunica, Mississippi. I'd have to have them side by side, with a spoon in each hand, one bite from b and b, one bite from PD, just to taste test them.

Ask me why I can't lose weight!!

Shay

Bitter & Blanc is my favorite dessert. :)

Here is the recipe cut to serve 8

Ingredients / Quantity

For Vanilla Sauce:

Whole Milk / 6 ounces liquid

Sugar / 1 ounce (2 Tbsp)

Cornstarch / 1 Tbsp.

Egg yolks / 2 quantity

Vanilla Extract / 1 tsp.

For Pudding & Meringue Mixture:

PUDDING:

Brioche bread, crusts removed / 8 ounces

Egg yolk / 3 ounces

Sugar / 2 ounces (4 Tbsp)

Heavy cream / 5 ounces liquid

White chocolate / 8 ounces

Butter / 3 ounces (6 Tbsp)

MERINGUE:

Egg whites / 2 ounces or 1/4 cup (about 2-3 yolks)

Sugar / 1 1/2 ounces (3 Tbsp)

For Ganache:

Dark Chocolate / 6 ounces

Heavy Cream / 4 ounces liquid

For greasing :

Butter solids / 1-2 Tbsp to coat

Sugar / 1-2 tsp to coat

1082423332_bitterblanc.jpg.abffd4992ef50fc302924c7fbedb0059.jpg

Yes they are fleetwide

Several years ago I saw a white chocolate bread pudding with raspberry sauce in the buffet on Fascination. I was passing through after lunch in the dining room, so I passed on it figuring I would have it the next time I saw it. I haven't seen it since although I always ask. Most waiters tell me they haven't heard of it.

I will be on 3 Carnival cruises between now and Jan 2010 so hopefully one of them will have a white chocolate bread pudding.

I remember getting my first taste of a Carnival bread pudding at a deck buffet on the Imagination back in the 90's.

I was happy to see it once again on a lunch menu on the Legend. In fact, I went to the MDR for lunch after going on a galley tour and catching them making it.

DELISH!

Archived