The First Day

Skyhawk61

Hi all.

Crusing on the Dawn in 17 days, 15 hours, 43 minutes and 12 seconds from now (but who's counting?). Anyway, a quick question of embarkation. After we get on board, how long before we can get to our rooms, and how long before our luggage will arrve? Trying to figure out what to pack in our "take on" bags......do I need to take the pants and shoes that I will need to wear to dinner that night, or will my luggage arrive before dinner? Just trying to figure out what I need to pack in which suitcase.

Thanks!

Hi Mike.

It depends upon what time you board as when you can get into your cabin. The cabins are generally ready 1:30-2PM. The luggage is delivered anywhere from before muster drill to after dinner...depends upon where your luggage is in the great scheme of things. It's been my experience that the later I arrive for embarkation, the sooner the luggage arrives. Last in-first out thingy.

Chances are your luggage will arrive well before dinner. The good news is you don't need to change for dinner IF YOU DON'T WANT TO on the first night. Casual is expected in the dining room on the first night.

Have a great cruise...you're gonna love the Dawn!

Hi all.

Crusing on the Dawn in 17 days, 15 hours, 43 minutes and 12 seconds from now (but who's counting?). Anyway, a quick question of embarkation. After we get on board, how long before we can get to our rooms, and how long before our luggage will arrve? Trying to figure out what to pack in our "take on" bags......do I need to take the pants and shoes that I will need to wear to dinner that night, or will my luggage arrive before dinner? Just trying to figure out what I need to pack in which suitcase.

Thanks!

If you arrive at about 11:30 you should be onboard very quickly--and have a full day to enjoy!! At the pier, go up the ramp and take your first right to parking--you will find porters up there to take your luggage. Rare that luggage would not be in your cabin before dinner--cabins always ready no later than 2:00. As for your carryon luggage--be sure to put everything you MUST have in there!! Medications, contact lenses--the things you would really need if, one in more than a million, your luggage does not come at all...not trying to scare you--that is a VERY rare occurence, but there was a post on here recently where a person's luggage was delivered to the wrong cabin and not found for many days. Things can happen, so just be prepared. And have a GREAT cruise on our favorite ship with the best crew at sea !! We, too, are counting the days for another Dawn cruise!

I always board dressed in attire that would be appropriate for whatever dining venue I plan on going to that evening, just in case the luggage doesn't make it to the cabin in time to change.

We have been fortuante on our past two NCL cruises in that our cabin was ready upon embarkation at noon and our luggage arrived--honestly--within two hours. It is a credit to the staff that they wrok so hard and so fast.

That said--you cannot EXPECT that to be the case. There is no way they can get all the bags and all the rooms ready by early afternoon. So be prepared with a small bag holding any medications and items that you would need in the afternoon. Then if your bag does arrive early or if your cabin is ready--then all the better for you. I sometimes read complaints about the cabins not being ready--I think it is great you can get on the ship and go to lunch and enjoy yourself for the day. Also remember that it is always possible for luggage to go missing etc--another reason to be prepared!

yoyocruiser

On most of my cruises (Princess, Celebrity and NCL) our luggage has arrived and I've managed to unpack before muster drill, but there were 2 that our luggage did not arrive before dinner, so plan accordingly.

After reading that horrifying thread about the guy's luggage that sat in someone elses closet for 5 days.......I'm definitely packing at least 1 change of clothes in my carry on and of course we always cross pack.

Have fun, I have to wait another 2 months for MY cruise <sigh> :rolleyes:

Assuming you embark by early afternoon, if the luggage is not in room by late afternoon it is worth having a look around the elevator area on your deck...we once saw our luggage in a huge pile there, and simply pulled it out! On all 12 cruises we have had, that was the only time it was not delivered to our cabin by late afternoon/early evening.

When I have been in balconey and above my suitcases were there while before dinner. When I am doing an inside they sometimes are not there until just after muster but before dinner. Only once were they past dinner (they were sent to the wrong room). This has been on other cruiselines but they all sem to follw the same time frame. If your luggage is not there before dinner inquiry as it may not have made it.

Sounds like you prefer to board early like we do. Unless you travel all night what you embark in should be fine for dinner. If you prefer to freshen up I would suggest your luggage most likely will be there. Loved the Dawn. Enjoy!

Also, since someone mentioned the possibility of lost luggage, one of the best tips I can give anyone is to cross pack. Where you put some of your clothes in your travel partners suitcase and vice versa. That way if one of your pieces of luggage happens to be the 1 in a million lost, you both still have things to wear. If it wasn't for our next cruise being a 14 nighter and knowing we will be taking a lot of clothes with us, I would for sure try to carry my own luggage onboard that way I would not have to worry about it. Having lost luggage has always been a great fear of mine and after the recent threads, it just made the fear worse.

Archived