Taking drinks aboard

voiceofreason

I recently read a post which asked if passengers were permitted to take their favourite drinks aboard and it reminded me of an awful experience aboard "Costa Romantica" this year.

Returning from a tour of "Catania" on a sweltering hot day, I was told to ditch my 250ml bottle of mineral water before boarding.

OK rules are rules, I thought.

So, up the gangway I go, wearing polo shirt and shorts. "Put your bag through the scanner, empty pockets into tray and remove your belt" I was instructed. Holding my shorts up with one hand, I stepped through the passenger scanner.

Before I could retrieve my belt and wallet etc. I was ordered to open a beautifully wrapped present which I had purchased ashore. Looking at the screen, it was plain to see the shape of the olive oil pourer with spout and stopper. I pointed this out to the security guard and asked why he was insisting on ruining the wrapping. " You are not permitted to bring alcohol aboard" he replied.(Note! "Alcohol" not something more sinister) "That's rubbish" I protested, shaking it and asking him to feel how light it was, but there was no reasoning with this guy. He was convinced that I was trying to bring a bottle of alcohol on board. In the end I had no choice but to open the packaging. Totally ruining the presentation in the process.

Angrily I asked, "Are you happy now". He didn't even acknowledge me. Just pushed my possessions to me and ignored my protests as if I didn't exist. I was furious. (Not good for an "OAP" with a serious heart condition). What was meant to be a trip of a lifetime was beginning to turn very sour.

It was only later, when discussing the incident with fellow passengers, some of whom witnessed the embarrassing episode, that we realised the greed of some "Cruise operators".

Taking into account the extortionate prices that "Costa" charge for drinks, plus the sur-charges etc. Had I actually chosen to purchase a bottle of local wine ashore (Which I did not). Is it not miserly even by "Costa" standards to begrudge me the pleasure of drinking it at my leisure in the confines of my cabin?

So, if anyone is thinking of carrying liquid aboard their next cruise liner. I strongly advise that you check with the operator first because I would hate for anyone to be subjected to the indignity that "Costa" security put this "OAP" through.

May I wish you all "Bon voyage"

It really doesn't matter which cruise line (or airline for that matter) you travel with, it is always very unwise to have wrapped presents in hand luggage. Security always wants to see what you have got...for all they knew it WAS alcohol...they are not in a position to believe you, it is more than their job is worth.

I have travelled over holiday times and have seen people being asked to unwrap Christmas and birthday presents before now.

Unfortunately port, ship and airport security cannot afford to take chances with anything or anyone...even if that means requesting proof of what is inside a wrapped up parcel.

I never have anything giftwrapped, just not worth the hassle. So as annoying as it may have been for you, it is absolutely normal procedure for them to demand that the gift be unwrapped. A lesson learned, possibly, for future travels...don't have anything bought wrapped and don't take anything with you that is wrapped as having to unwrap it could cause you upset.

The security guard acted totally within his rights, he and his department are responsible for the safety of the ship and enforcing the cruise lines rules.

If you think the drinks are expensive, easy don't drink.

Costa like every other cruise line is not a charity organisation but a company that has to answer to shareholders and profit.

The alcohol is not confiscated but kept for you and will be handed back when youz leave the ship.

A bit of courtesy and a smile will help much more than getting angry. Example, 2007 Costa Med in Guadaloupe, 8 bottles of the finest rum and rum / coconut mix, security. :eek: Went up to the Indian guy and declared the 8 bottles as horse linament for the Indian Oplympic Equestrian Team, it made his day, it made my day seeing him laugh.:D

After all they are only dong there job.

Ron

• 4 weeks later...

Garbage, when we originally boarded we had wine in our luggage and this was not checked....however after our first port of call Costa was then checking bags, I guess they knew that people would try and purchase alcohol on shore after knowing what they were paying on board.

Garbage, when we originally boarded we had wine in our luggage and this was not checked....however after our first port of call Costa was then checking bags, I guess they knew that people would try and purchase alcohol on shore after knowing what they were paying on board.

It states in Costa T&C that passengers are not allowed to bring drinks onboard, if drinks are found they will be taken and returned to the passenger at the end of the cruise. So you get legless at home instead of onboard.:eek:

Don't know why anyone would want to bring Garbage onboard?

Ron

We have just recently returned from a Mediterranean cruise on a Holland America ship. Their 'more relaxed' attitude to bringing wine on board was greatly appreciated - it was a very pleasant experience to sit on the balcony at sunset having a glass of wine bought that day from the local vineyard.

I'm not too sure why other cruise lines take such a hard line on bringing wine on board - if it's to maximise their bar income, then I don't like being fleeced - if it's to prevent drunken behaviour, then I don't like being treated as a potential drunken lout.

Either way, the policy feels like the whole class is being punished for the misdemeanours of a few.

We have just recently returned from a Mediterranean cruise on a Holland America ship. Their 'more relaxed' attitude to bringing wine on board was greatly appreciated - it was a very pleasant experience to sit on the balcony at sunset having a glass of wine bought that day from the local vineyard.

I'm not too sure why other cruise lines take such a hard line on bringing wine on board - if it's to maximise their bar income, then I don't like being fleeced - if it's to prevent drunken behaviour, then I don't like being treated as a potential drunken lout.

Either way, the policy feels like the whole class is being punished for the misdemeanours of a few.

Totally agree with you - a few abuse the system and the rest of us have to pay for it.

Ron

Last year aboard the Costa Allegra they seemed fine about anyone taking some alcohol on board just as long as they were open about it. Those who tried to be sneaky were caught and it was confiscated, which is fair enough really as I can quite understand the frustration of security when faced with someone purposely trying to circumvent the system like that. But I saw several boarding with wine and spirits and they were allowed on without a problem.

It states in Costa T&C that passengers are not allowed to bring drinks onboard, if drinks are found they will be taken and returned to the passenger at the end of the cruise. So you get legless at home instead of onboard.:eek:

Don't know why anyone would want to bring Garbage onboard?

Ron

Why you got on board?????

Yes I did, but only to remove the lowest class of moaning garbage!:D

Ron the Garbage Remover

I'd say thats pretty much all that you would be capable to do....a garbage collector.

How dare anyone disagree with you...must own shares in Costa:rolleyes:

Yes I did, but only to remove the lowest class of moaning garbage!:D

Ron the Garbage Remover

I'd say that all your capable of.....a garbage collector

How dare anyone disagree with you, you must own shares in Costa :rolleyes:

I'd say that all your capable of.....a garbage collector

How dare anyone disagree with you, you must own shares in Costa :rolleyes:

I see you as a garbage collector, after reading your messages.

It's a pity that you cannot read properly as I said I was a garbage remover.

People can certainly disagree with me as I do vice-a-versa. I like Costa, b ut I don't love her after our last chaosic cruise. But I will also help people with my good and bad experience, but I will always disagree with global statements trying to put other people off Costa cruise. Most of the moaners ten to be people you have a grudge against a particular cruise line because they didn't get a cabin upgrade or refund, these people tend only to stay here a short while.

Ron

(Not good for an "OAP" with a serious heart condition). What was meant to be a trip of a lifetime was beginning to turn very sour.

"

Serious question who do you insure with?, We can not get travel insurance due to a heart condition (Well not for less than the price of the cruise)

Jack McH

I'm a pretty long standing CCL family customer. 15 Carnival Cruises, 12 Princess, 5 Cunard and 126 days aboard various Holland America Cruise ships. My next two cruises are on the Costa Fortuna on a back to back eastern western this summer ( which will be my fourth and fifth Costa cruise as well). Not to mention brands they don't own anymore or brands they have in other countries)

Sadly because of ..well after 127 days HAL didn't care enough about a massive F*up to even bother verbally apologizing after a really serious breech of standards. Though they did send my wife form letter :) I won't be booking anything past that i already have paid, or with any line in the Carnival family they have lost my loyalty.

Anyway I one of the three I already had booked when the HAL debacle happened was the Liberty which I just got off of next week ( Category 11.. not a bad cabin , could have done more with the extra space) ad as I mentioned the two back to back Costa Fortuna cruises the last week of Feb, first week of March.

I have noticed some comminalities on the booze thing and I have to go with the majority here. I've been on the Maasdam 5 times. Here's how is has worked out. A- I'm not a big drinker. a few daiquiri's and I'm three sheets to the wind.I am a big pop drinker though.

However I have traveled with some people who seriously drank wine, I married a Canadian woman 5 years ago an by American standards everyone I've ever met in Canada is a clinical alcoholic.

Catnival you can bring aboard one bottle of wine and they charge you few bucks to uncork it, honestly I've known people who went out and bought a few boxes of wine to stick in their lugagge and just to keep around the cabin, but thats braking the rules, so just because you CAN get away with it, doesn't make it right.

Thinking It wouldn't be such a big deal I once took a mickey of scotch ( a mickey is a pint) in my carry on ( That was a problem on Carnival...guy actually said your taking money out of our pockets. It was a pint who cares , I tossed it) Other times though I've brought another bad and filled it wit a couple of cases of coke and other soda so when I'm in my cabin and i cannot use my Soda card, i don;t have to budge or dressed and buy a can of coke. As long as your forward about this and indicate your understanding thats it' for consumption in you cabin. No problem there. If you bring along a cooler however. They will take it away from you, They don't want you to obviously be cheating ( So wrap them well and put them in checked luggage and hope like hell) ) but walking on with cooler makes everyone el thing to do the same and crews them out of the money hey get for Pop, so if you honest and discreet, no issue) so as soda goes you can tell them and be fine biut not be obviou Otherwie everone gets of at the next island and buys a case of pope.

Holland america allows you to bring as much wine in your luggae as you want as longas it's drunk in your cabin..I have never lied to anyone doing security on cruise check pitn..t's just not worth it. Howeve again if your obviously walking on with wine that they dopn;t like. You can discreetly let them know you have a few of those big 4 liter wine boxes in your luggage which you will drink in your cabin or your balcony and NOT outside and they seem to always pas you.

Carnival the mother ship has 0 tolerance for anything past one bottle of bon voyage wine and or champagne with a corkage fee's. lets face it with the price of cruises dropping , our economy dropping, it's like bringing in your own casiono. You pay so little to get on ships these days ( if you can make a commitment on the spot...I know several agents and PVP's at cruise lines who keep a short list of people who will actually , as opposed to saying they can , but actually give out a credit card on the spot for a goo enough deal. I'v had agenct cal me at work and say I can get you a six category upgrade and a two for one on this ship and sailing date but I can't hold a cabin and full pay is due now. If you keep a little bit of money for just such a n occasion, you realy can cruise five or six times a year even with single supplement's without killing yourself..you just have to actually follow through and show them you will book if they come to you with a good enough deal) I'v had people call me ( and 90% I travel as a single , since the one cruise I got my wife on the HAL one turned into such a bad exeriance she won't be going again) and offer me a cruise six months in advance to two weeks out with deals so good it's obvious that a great deal of he time as far as cabins go, They lose money on that hoping to make it up on the shipboard spending.. Any major cruise line worth it's salt will not cancel a cruise because only half the cabins are booked, what they will do is start discounting the hell out of things and then hope to hell they get at least a good percentage of people who drink big, spend big and gamble big. Personally I just make sure no matter if I'm traveling alone and regardless of if I prepay my tips I tip a second time on the first day ( the take care me tip and i'll do i again as I leave tip) and then a third time on the last day which is the thanks for taking care of me tip. Oh, and I tip the room service guy a buck for bringing me food. Doesn't sound like alott but I get my room service usually in 15 minutes even when they say it's a 45 minute wait. They know who tips. Leave $20 in single dollar bills on th side o your bedside table drawer an give them out whichever room service person brings you anything, you"ll be shocked t how fast your food gets to you.

Given that when we sat down and added it up I've cumulatively spent over two years of my life on one cruise ship or another and that I've never paid a full price for any sailing it's reasonable to expect them to want you to buy the on board services from them. Their not even obligated in you look closely enough they leave enough room in the passage contract hat they could change their policy even mid cruise and not hold liquor you buy in ports for you until the final night. If they wanted to they could dump it overboard..

On the other had I have never ever had a cruise line get pissed at me for walking a few cases of non alcoholic pop on board ..and I tell them always. That bag there, it has two cases of coke and two cases of Root Beer. If thats going to be a problem let me know and i'll toss it now. Hell I even ask the maid to clear out the mini bar so I can use the fridge. as long as you keep to your word an don't bring he damn stuff outside No problem. lie and your always going to have a problem.

HAL and CCL all have a soda card you can but for $40 that gives you unlimited pop. If you need to drink to the ;point of drunkenness, then you either do the HAL thing and get squiffed in your cabin or if your on another line tat has different rules pay the money an get squiffed at the bar. The thing to me has always been if getting drunk is such an intrinsically vital part of you vacation. Pay for the luxury of not having to drive home and being allowed to act like an ass in public, or stay home or do to an all inclusive that includes booze. They have enough of those too.

It's like people who travel thousand of miles to pay thousands of dollars to go to some of the mot beautiful the Caribbean and then sit in front of the freaking Jumbotron TV and watch MTV all day while on deck.

I know I'm l older guy but ..I cannot see how that makes sense. Or worse people who sit on deck every sea day and do nothing but drink and then get off at a port and not even leave the pier area an sit at like Ruby Tuesdays drinking there not 100 feet from the ship and say " I've been to Mexico, don't understand what the big deal is,, drinks are cheap there though" I herd a a week and a half ago in Cozumel talking bout what crap it was. Because the drinks were no cheaper and the bar was filled of Americans, None of which pay any attention to him. if he had walked 25 more feet he could have drank $1.00 coronas or 2 or 1 Margarete's until he had to be wheeled back to the ship..I still doubt many people would have had much to do with him though.

Lastly customs. I cannot for the life of me understand why so many people try and lie to customs. It's a godddam federal offense and your going to lose your passport for ten years so as to not pay duty on a few cartons of Marlboro's. yet every time I go through customs off a ship, here , or in The states, especially Miami or lauderdale. I see at least 20 people detained over something like two cartons of smokes. And it's not the two cartons they care about, hell I never get off without ten cartons of smokes which is 9 past my allowable duty either here or In Canada an I have never ever been hassled, yes I've had to pay some duty , I've never had to pay the full duty though. On an average if i b ring in10 cartons that I paid $20 or . I'll usually get charged for 5 and at another $100. But If you lie about even being over on one. They have every right to deny you a passport and god forbid you ever deiced you want to live or work in another country let me assure you it follows you. when I immigrated to Canada I had to pay my won FBI, My own country to investigate me . Much less the ten thousand other incidences I had to waive my privacy to prove that I had no criminal record and by that they especially include lying to customs officials. One incidence, no matter how minor goes on your file and could deny you a passport, a passport renewal adnd if they push it to the max which they can because lying to a federal officer is a felony no matter what, There are countries you will never ever be able to enter again without a pardon. pardons are hard to come by I might add.

Pay the $2.00 or at least be honest with they custom guys. If they charge you more money then your comfortable with paying the touch luck. throw the stuff away.They deserve it and appreciate it.

Lastly if Carnival or any cruise line know that your cigarette duty is one carton. why do they even sell those buy four and get one free cartons . The last cruise on the liberty was the only time I read a small sign paced out of my eye view and I'm 6 feet tall saying the port of Miami has a new rule now in effect saying they won't even in most cases let you go over your limit with the intention of paying the duty, but rather more frequently they just toss whatever you have thats over the limit which

A- I think is bull-crap. why turn down free taxes.

And B- if that really is true and or your custom limit is one or two cartons. either don't sell them in packages of five cartons and or put a note or sticker on it saying clearly that by buying this, they are eligible to pay a max of X amount of duty per carton or bottle which they must report or make people sign a paper saying they are aware of the fact that they are over their duty limit and are responsible for reporting it to whichever custom officials are at their final country of destination.

even in Airports in Duty free, I've had people lie to my face and say no, you can buy as much as you want. Wow, In Canada a carton of smokes costs about $75.00. Buying them on ship in quantity is usually $20 per carton. that means if after duty I pay anything less then $75 per carton. I'm still making out ( as long as I take currency exchange into account) I always have custom guys ask me why are you doing this? I tell them, Lets say I pay $20 a carton for the smokes and you charge me a 100% duty ( they can charge you to 125% in some places like Canada..but I've never ever seen anyone pay more then double . Now that means each carton is now at a cost of $50 to me, which means I'm still saving $25 per and some change on each carton..thats why it makes sense.

And when I usually am honest and explain my rationality including my total willingness to tell them I'm over and to pay whatever they want me to without complaint. I have never to this day paid more then half duty on half my items. which means a $10 surcharge on 5 cartons as opposed to a $20 on 10 cartons.

Ok, I'm done. Just ask questions to the cruise line, understand they aren't here to give you a free vacation, don't lie to federal agents and Oh god don't pull that civil right's bull-crap on Customs people. For the record you have no right to remain silent or not consent to search in any TSA area . Ship or Airport.

Your civil rights begin again when you pass out of the secured area an while your in i,t you have none. If they wanted to demand you do the funky chicken wearing G- string . You have no legal authority to stop them unless you file a federal lawsuit after the event. I hate getting tied up waiting to go through customs because some putz decides that arguing with a customs agent is the smart thing to do, Yes sir ( ma'am), I understand sir ( ma'am), what would y0u like me to do sir( ma'am)

That's it. If they ask you to pay them money, pay it. Or ask if you can leave the booze or smokes there to be destroyed. But for everyone who is trying to make a flight's sake. don't argue. You're just going to get an anal probe at the end of the day anyway.

Each cruise line will be very clear about ahat you can and cannot do and un like some things the realities of what res tells youversus the reality of wht occurs on the piere seem to in this case coincide. Basically what they want is for you not to publically be seen ( in HAL's case) walking with enough booze to kill a hores in your hnd luggeage. In your luggae delivered to your cabin. No problem. if your bring cooler it's oine. No one wants you to bring ny sreious booze like scotch on board. doesn't matter if it's hidden or dicretee. You're takin money from them.

Costa seems to hve an almost unlimtd booze pkage , but i don;t drink nough to warrent it> would rtehe py for my trwo drinks day an then tick with coke. I gues th thing i if having booze long an having to pay alott for it is gpoing to ctually ruine your vcation then you should think about hat you shoul be doing. ..if you don;t require three cgllons of rum to njoy yur day pay the $2.00 plus tipe or whatever and drink away. If your on certain lines bring your wine on board and get squiffed in your cabin. but don't expect any cruise line to say ok, were going to feded you, enetertyain you, take you to ports nd oh by the way if you want to sve money and bring your on booze, that's ok too.

Serious question who do you insure with?, We can not get travel insurance due to a heart condition (Well not for less than the price of the cruise)

Jack McH

Have you tried Costa direct about insurance?

Try an independent insuarnce agent, who will work for you and not an insurance company.

Ron

Markcruising,

all I can say is Pheeeew!

Made great reading.

With regards to Duty Free, all I can say is never trust anyone (absolutely no one), do your homework on the Net with offical government sites.

An example, on the ship to Singapore we were informed everone could take one carton, when we arrived it turned out that one opened packet could be taken from onboard. There ere a ot of unhappy passengers.

Ron

Archived