Mandatory vaccine implementation

cruiseawaits

I was visiting my TA's office this afternoon, and this was the topic of discussion among the agents:

As was reported by national news organizations yesterday, the upcoming flu season is expected to be quite a whopper for both the seasonal flu and H1N1(aka "Swine"). Has anyone read or heard anything about the possibility of the cruising industry requiring all passengers to show "proof of vaccination"? That is, assuming a vaccination is available. Taking into consideration the mayhem(and that is putting it mildly) caused by the recent outbreak, maybe it is something they, along with the local governments, should take into consideration. It would not only protect the cruise passengers and crews, but the citizens of the different "ports of call" and the tourists visiting such ports. It was the consensus of the agents that some course of action will need to be taken so as not to have a repeat of the fallout from the last outbreak(which took everyone by surprise). In addition to the obvious health issues(first priority), there is the significant financial loss the industry would again suffer should another outbreak occur. Personally, I would have no objection in having to be vaccinated prior to my February cruise. Opinions?

It will never happen. Totally unenforceable. Can you imagine the number of people denied boarding at embarkation? How many people can't even get straight what type of identification they need to bring?

End result would be another decline in the number of people cruising. There's much more chance of picking up a bug on an airline flight...which many people take to get to their cruise.

And, even should required vaccinations be implemented, you are still going to have folks catching/spreading Noro because they simply don't follow basic hygiene.

Howard

I am an infection control practitioner so right in the thick of this stuff. There is no way the cruise lines could enforce mandatory vaccinations. We may however see a lot of missed ports due to passengers exhibiting symptoms of H1N1 and the ship being denied to port there.

What about all the foreign pax? We had a huge number of Mexican nationals on board during their spring break. How are you going to enforce it on a ship not flagged in the US on Pax who aren't US pax??

Sounds pretty crazy to me, something those TA havent thought thru to even suggest it might be possible. Makes me wonder about them ....

I was visiting my TA's office this afternoon, and this was the topic of discussion among the agents:

As was reported by national news organizations yesterday, the upcoming flu season is expected to be quite a whopper for both the seasonal flu and H1N1(aka "Swine"). Has anyone read or heard anything about the possibility of the cruising industry requiring all passengers to show "proof of vaccination"? That is, assuming a vaccination is available. Taking into consideration the mayhem(and that is putting it mildly) caused by the recent outbreak, maybe it is something they, along with the local governments, should take into consideration. It would not only protect the cruise passengers and crews, but the citizens of the different "ports of call" and the tourists visiting such ports. It was the consensus of the agents that some course of action will need to be taken so as not to have a repeat of the fallout from the last outbreak(which took everyone by surprise). In addition to the obvious health issues(first priority), there is the significant financial loss the industry would again suffer should another outbreak occur. Personally, I would have no objection in having to be vaccinated prior to my February cruise. Opinions?

I have not heard anything but I don't foresee this happening. How can they mandate something that may not be available to everyone? There are also cruisers that for personal/religious/medical reasons that may opt to not have immunizations esp optional ones such as the flu shots.

The other consideration is there are many strains of flu and as of yet I have not heard of a vaccine for the norovirus? There's been talk of a vaccine in the works but last I heard none available yet. The noro virus is the most common on ships and on land.

Influenza vaccine supplies are never relaible and vary from season to season. I'd hate to think that someone would or should be eligible for a vaccine just because they are going on a cruise ship. There are many out there that can't get them during limited supply issues.

I personally get the vaccine each year but I do not think it should be mandated. If they make it mandatory then how long before it would become mandatory for all passengers to provide proof of all immunizations?

Just curious, are DH & I the only ones who have had to get shots recorded in the International Certificate of Vaccination booklet before traveling to certain areas around the world? I see the flu shots as being on a par with Yellow Fever shots that are required for countries where it is a problem. Those shots can be waived for very specific reasons, but they are required for everyone else for the protection of the general public. They have nothing to do with cruise lines other than the lines must follow the rules of the countries they visit.

The vaccination will not be readily available-the availability will come in stages with a priority list i.e. pregnant women, young children, caregivers,etc this being said it would be almost impossible to enforce a must have rule-the best option is to get the shot if you can and want to and hopefully this will cover your concerns-I am getting it as I am a caregiver of small children-

I'm going to re-read my travel insurance policy(all the fine print) to see if it addresses missed ports at all. I realize that the cruise lines should not be held accountable for something that is beyond their control such as being denied docking at ports. I would never expect compensation from them other than, perhaps, port fees.

The vaccination will not be readily available-the availability will come in stages with a priority list i.e. pregnant women, young children, caregivers,etc this being said it would be almost impossible to enforce a must have rule-the best option is to get the shot if you can and want to and hopefully this will cover your concerns-I am getting it as I am a caregiver of small children-

I just love your name thingy.

I'm going to re-read my travel insurance policy(all the fine print) to see if it addresses missed ports at all. I realize that the cruise lines should not be held accountable for something that is beyond their control such as being denied docking at ports. I would never expect compensation from them other than, perhaps, port fees.

Carnival has a policy if you miss a port (that isnt substituted) to give you a flat $20. Since port charges generally run over $50, you arent going to get port charges back. The $20 is in writing.

What could you get back from insurance?? Very few excursions require payment ahead of time and wouldnt refund if the ship doesnt come into port.

I don't know that they could require this. I can't get flu shots, I'm allergic to one of the ingrediants in them.

Slightly OT to SportsChick - if you are allergic (such as my DH to eggs) and cannot take certain vaccines, you can get the requirement waived by the CDC for areas such as those now with Yellow Fever vaccine requirements (if you are travelling to those areas). Just as a FYI. I had to look into it for our Panama Canal cruise earlier this year.

I doubt, for reasons already stated, they could require flu shots though with the expected lack of vaccine already being reported (being the first major reason).

I would not go if they forced me into the vaccinations. My thoughts on vaccines in general would take too long to get into, but I will say that I think the flu shot is crap. And whos to say that if everyone did get the two flu vaccines, that they would even be effective. It's always a guessing game as to which strain to include in that years vaccine.

What would be next? Taking people's temperatures at the port to make sure they didn't have a fever? It's CCL not CDC.

I would not go if they forced me into the vaccinations. My thoughts on vaccines in general would take too long to get into, but I will say that I think the flu shot is crap. And whos to say that if everyone did get the two flu vaccines, that they would even be effective. It's always a guessing game as to which strain to include in that years vaccine.

What would be next? Taking people's temperatures at the port to make sure they didn't have a fever? It's CCL not CDC.

That's already being done. There was H1N1 flu on our Emerald Princess July 5th cruise to the Baltics. Russian health officials boarded the ship in protective gear at St. Petersburg. They did take our temperature before allowing us off the ship. Not only that, the local dance company scheduled to be in the theater canceled because of flu concerns. These are minor concerns in the greater picture. It would be more troubling if health officials quarantined an entire ship for 14 days. That would be a nightmare.

Here is a link to an article written about the June 25th cruise.

http://politiken.dk/newsinenglish/article745599.ece

Just curious, are DH & I the only ones who have had to get shots recorded in the International Certificate of Vaccination booklet before traveling to certain areas around the world? I see the flu shots as being on a par with Yellow Fever shots that are required for countries where it is a problem. Those shots can be waived for very specific reasons, but they are required for everyone else for the protection of the general public. They have nothing to do with cruise lines other than the lines must follow the rules of the countries they visit.

According to the CDC and other authorities, unless the H1N1 virus mutates it should be no worse than the regular flu among people who do not have a comprimised immune system. Right now, this virus, cannot and should not be compared to Yellow Fever.

By law they can not force anyone to have something injected into their bodies. I work as a Paramedic and management tried to enforce a mandatory vaccination. It was denied in court because a vaccination is a choice and cannot be forced upon someone, nor can they be denied equal access to services.

On another note, the flu vaccination is a "best guess" as to what strain is going to come out that year. Last year the 2 strains in the shot were not the strains that were circulating. I don't get the shot because of an allergy, but I wouldn't if I had a choice. Even with asthma I would prefer to battle out a bout of flu than inject the wrong virus plus other chemicals into my body. If you are a healthy adult the odds that the flu is going to kill you are not very high.

Martini Mom I would not go if they forced me into the vaccinations. My thoughts on vaccines in general would take too long to get into, but I will say that I think the flu shot is crap. And whos to say that if everyone did get the two flu vaccines, that they would even be effective. It's always a guessing game as to which strain to include in that years vaccine.

I agree!! I worked in an ER for 5 years as an EMT. I never got the flu shots and I could get them for free. From what I have herd about the H1N1 vaccine it is taken in 4 different shots not just 1.. They are just beginning to test it now.. It will not be ready by my Sept. cruise... :D:D

I would not take it.

Archived