Rough seas on Canada cruise??

Hi

My daughter is considering a Canada cruise leaving from NYC Labor Day weekend. She is concerned about getting seasick. Is the Atlantic normally rough going from NYC to Canada? Can anyone offer advise based on their experience. We have never cruised in that area before. Thanks!

Laurie

One person's definition of rough can be quite different from another person's, but that is the area where most of the storm remnants go, and it is the North Atlantic, not the Caribbean. In my opinion, you are more likely to feel the ship move on this itinerary, but again, it affects people differently. I've seen people complain about movement when I could swear we were in a hotel on land.

NYbumpkin,

I'm taking the Triumph to Saint John's and Halifax on 8/24 and have some questions regarding the Hopewell Rocks and the Reversing Falls. Did you do those excursions and if so, what are your suggestions.

Many Thanks,

Chantal

Any itinerary can have rough seas. Have had hurricane remnants on an Atlantic cruise last year, and outran Hurricane Dean in the Eastern Caribbean two years ago. I would tell your daughter to decide about the cruise not based on what might happen, and simply take the necessary precautions.

There is really no way to know for sure. I have done a Canadian as well as an Alaska cruise with smooth sailing all the way. However, once I took a cruise to Bermuda and my cruise was fine but the ship that left one day after ours hit horrible weather and many people on board were sick. We met up with those passengers in Bermuda.

NYbumpkin,

I'm taking the Triumph to Saint John's and Halifax on 8/24 and have some questions regarding the Hopewell Rocks and the Reversing Falls. Did you do those excursions and if so, what are your suggestions.

Many Thanks,

Chantal

Hi Chantal - We did Reversing Falls on our own - in fact, we walked via the Harbour Passage. It's about a two-mile walk, and it's uphill from the port area. The Harbour Passage is a very nice walk, but when you exit the Passage you're walking along a busy road. If I were to do it again on my own, I would take the city tourist bus - I think Acey has a link in his thread.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived