Novo/H1N1

alohadad

You seem to be consumed with the possibility of getting ill on a ship. If it bothered me that much, I wouldn't cruise.

If you use good hygiene practices you would be fine, but the mind can create illness if you let it.

Make the choice that you will be comfortable with.

Hi RUTH

You have a better chance of catching something going about your daily activities, or in your journeys to the ship. Since cruise ships have a contained environment in which to track illnesses, you hear about them more. In shopping centers, airports/planes, hotels, you could be exposed to anything and not know you'd been exposed.

Just exercise good judgement and WASH YOUR HANDS!

I work in a doctor's office and if I was worried constantly about catching a virus I'd be a wreck. Just use good judgment. Wash your hands often. Also, my philosophy is to never, ever touch my eyes, mouth, face, ears, especially after knowing I've touched something in public, like a door handle. You'd be surprised how many people rub their eyes! Think of all that bacteria on your hands getting into your system via your hands.....one reason why pink eye is such a big problem!

You really can't compare Norovirus with H1N1 Swine Flu. Noro is gastrointestinal and Swine is respiratory. For those already compromised with breathing problems such as asthma and emphysema, such as myself, H1N1 can be very serious. Washing hands is the way to prevent Noro and avoiding touching things which may be contaminated. So there is a lot you can do yourself to avoid Noro. H1N1 is airborne and while washing your hands is always good it is just as important to stay out of close contact with others in confined environments and not getting in places where people might sneeze or cough on you.

I hope the vaccine will prove to be successful for those who would be in more than average jeopardy if they caught it. It is a mystery as to why those over 65 are going to be the last on the list for vaccination, behind healthy younger adults. Very young children and the elderly always have higher mortality rates from any flu than young and middle aged adults. And I listen to the CDC, not to the media about this. The virus is mutating and expected by the CDC to be very virulent when it comes back this fall and winter. So making light of it and saying just wash your hands is short-sighted.

...........It is a mystery as to why those over 65 are going to be the last on the list for vaccination, behind healthy younger adults. ........

It has been noticed that the H1N1 is infecting young people, pregnant women and the already compromised. The healthy older or elderly people who have had many flu shots over the years seem to have some kind of resistance at this point to the H1N1 and will not getting it first if it becomes rampant. Also front line workers will get the vaccine fist, doctors, nurses, police, firefighters and undertakers, those who take care of the rest of the population if it becomes full blown. Eventually everybody who wants the vaccine will get it.

And those who don't believe it can happen........ now how many died in the pandemic of 1918, like 50 million or so.

Before my last cruise I had been invited to a wedding in Mexico on the 24th of April. Unfortunately the timing was too close to go to both. But I can honestly say that if I hadn't have already been scheduled for the cruise, I would have gone on the Mexico trip which was right in the midst of the H1N1 epidemic. The previous poster is correct; you can't live your life in a bubble.

A cruise ship is a microcosm of germs no more than a workplace.

If the last cruise before your sailing date had a large % of passengers/staff that were sick (some kind of flu) and you found out from either HAL or the News. What would you do ?

As long as I used the necessary precautions, such as handwashing, utilizing the hand sanitizing stations, avoiding touching my mouth, eyes, etc., getting proper nutrition and rest, I wouldn't worry about it.

And the correct term is Norovirus. It is a completely different illness from the H1N1 (swine) flu.

The media is turning everyone into a bunch of hypochondriacs.

If you're so worried about getting ill you'd better stay home as you certainly will not enjoy yourself dodging germs, washing your hands, bathing in Purell, etc. Bail out and let someone have your cabin who will have fun. I would take normal precautions and go.

If the last cruise before your sailing date had a large % of passengers/staff that were sick (some kind of flu) and you found out from either HAL or the News. What would you do ?

I'd be the first one in line at the pier! Nothing is going to keep me off this ship, and common sense, and lots of handwashing and hand gel will help with the getting sick part.:D

It's pretty cheerful to read that few are concerned. However, if it does in fact mutate, there will be businesses closed, schools closed, and general changes to life as we know it.

I would stay home.

Lock the door.

Pull the shades.

Make sure I have enough food and beer to last a while.:)

It's pretty cheerful to read that few are concerned. However, if it does in fact mutate, there will be businesses closed, schools closed, and general changes to life as we know it.

I would stay home.

Lock the door.

Pull the shades.

Make sure I have enough food and beer to last a while.:)

Just bear in mind that you are more likely to have an accident at home than anywhere else.

It is a mystery as to why those over 65 are going to be the last on the list for vaccination, behind healthy younger adults. Very young children and the elderly always have higher mortality rates from any flu than young and middle aged adults. And I listen to the CDC, not to the media about this. The virus is mutating and expected by the CDC to be very virulent when it comes back this fall and winter. So making light of it and saying just wash your hands is short-sighted.

Apparently there is evidence that this strain of flu went around in the late 1950's and as a result older people have something of an immunity to it.

Another thing to consider is that back when the Avian Flu was a big concern - people sat down and did some hard thinking about how to prioritize medications in a serious panademic. The assumption was that there would not be enough medications to protect even half of the population.

As a result - the idea was to allocate medications in order to maintain the critical functions that our society needs to function: Medical, Law Enforcement and Emergency Responders, Telecommunications, Food Distribution, Electricity-Water-Sewage, Essential Banking and Finance, National Security, Political Leadership and essential public service management, etc.

After that you use whatever is left over for containment and protection of the most vulnerible people.

I don't know if you have noticed, but there is alot of MERSA staph in hospitals these days. If you want to take it all lightly, then that's ok. I am in the health care field, married to a doctor, and am quite concerned about the swine flu virus. Certainly I tend to be humble, and rather silly, but this one is driving us crazy.

ttyl.

Susie:)

Why would you be more likely to get sick at home than anywhere else? That makes no sense at all. You have your regular germs at home, and are probably rather immune to them but on the outside anything goes. You are certainly safer in your own home. Hope you like it. I do.:)

Archived