Victoria transportation question

My DH and I will be traveling to Victoria on the Infinity in a few weeks. We will be there from 2:00-10:00pm and would like to go to Butchart Gardens on our own. On previous trips to Victoria, we've always had a rental car so transportation was no problem. This time, no car. What are our best transportation options to get to the Gardens? Are there public buses? What would a taxi cost? We would like to avoid a ship tour if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

Sheila

My DH and I will be traveling to Victoria on the Infinity in a few weeks. We will be there from 2:00-10:00pm and would like to go to Butchart Gardens on our own. On previous trips to Victoria, we've always had a rental car so transportation was no problem. This time, no car. What are our best transportation options to get to the Gardens? Are there public buses? What would a taxi cost? We would like to avoid a ship tour if at all possible.

Butchart is about 15 miles north of downtown, A taxi will be in the $35-45 (ea way) range. It is possible to get there with a combination of the #30/31 bus (from the cruise terminal) and the #75 bus (to Butchart), it takes just under an hour each way, cost is $2.25 ea way. A number of Victoria's routes operate on Double Decker buses, a very nice way to see the city and surrounding countryside.

Victoria Transit info:

http://bctransit.com/regions/vic/schedules/schedule.cfm?p=dir.text&route=75:0&day=1&

Map of Victoria for cruise passengers:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.0004665d7f3e28f06866d&ll=48.419404,-123.367195&spn=0.03452,0.090895&z=14

If you have any more questions, fire away. I lived in Victoria for 30 years.

• 2 weeks later...

There are also some tour companies that will take you to Buchart Gardens. There's a tour company that operates a shuttle bus to the inner harbour area for about $8 round-trip (I can't remember exactly but it was somewhere in that price range). Then once you're there, there are a few stands set up in front of the Empress selling tours to Buchart Gardens and other places. I have no idea what the cost is. I think the public bus option is a lot cheaper, but probably takes a bit longer with having to change buses (note to Victoria's public transit agency: you could make a heck of a lot more money off of tourists if there was a direct bus service to compete with the tour companies).

There are also some tour companies that will take you to Buchart Gardens. There's a tour company that operates a shuttle bus to the inner harbour area for about $8 round-trip (I can't remember exactly but it was somewhere in that price range). Then once you're there, there are a few stands set up in front of the Empress selling tours to Buchart Gardens and other places. I have no idea what the cost is. I think the public bus option is a lot cheaper, but probably takes a bit longer with having to change buses (note to Victoria's public transit agency: you could make a heck of a lot more money off of tourists if there was a direct bus service to compete with the tour companies).

There is a direct bus, the #30 and #31 buses run straight from Dallas Rd in front of the cruise facility to downtown. $2.25.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.0004665d7f3e28f06866d&ll=48.418279,-123.384833&spn=0.00863,0.022724&z=16

shows you exactly where to catch it. And that $2.25 ticket is good for 90 minutes on any bus, so you can actually catch the #75 to Butchart Gardens w/ it.

The name of the company that operates the shuttle is CVS Cruise Victoria, for $6 they they will shuttle you to and from the Ogden Point pier to across the street from the Empress Hotel. From there you can pick up one of their buses that will take you out to the Gardens...upon return they will take you directly back to Ogden Point. Here is a link for your convenience:

www.cvscruisevictoria.com/

There is a direct bus, the #30 and #31 buses run straight from Dallas Rd in front of the cruise facility to downtown. $2.25.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.0004665d7f3e28f06866d&ll=48.418279,-123.384833&spn=0.00863,0.022724&z=16

shows you exactly where to catch it. And that $2.25 ticket is good for 90 minutes on any bus, so you can actually catch the #75 to Butchart Gardens w/ it.

Oh, I meant a direct bus to Buchart Gardens from the cruise terminal, not to downtown. Yes, getting to downtown by BC transit is easy. And it's not a bad stroll either if you're fit.

Oh, I meant a direct bus to Buchart Gardens from the cruise terminal, not to downtown. Yes, getting to downtown by BC transit is easy. And it's not a bad stroll either if you're fit.

Walking across the street at Royal Oak is all you need to do to change buses.

#30/31 to Royal Oak Exchange, #75 to Butchart. Same $2.25 bus ticket. Hard to be much easier. Reverse the process to get back.

Thank you all for the great information! I have a couple more follow up questions. I can't seem to locate the Royal Oak Exchange bus stop on the map. Where exactly can I find it? Also, it doesn't appear from the map to be too long a walk from the pier to downtown. About how far is it?

Thanks again.

Sheila

Oops! Looks like I was looking for Royal Oak on the wrong map. Found it on the right map. So it seems we'd HAVE to take the #30/31 bus out there in time to get the #75 to Butchart. How long will it take us to get from the pier to Royal Oak?

Sheila

Oops! Looks like I was looking for Royal Oak on the wrong map. Found it on the right map. So it seems we'd HAVE to take the #30/31 bus out there in time to get the #75 to Butchart. How long will it take us to get from the pier to Royal Oak?

Sheila

It's about 40 mins to Royal Oak exch

http://bctransit.com/regions/vic/schedules/schedule.cfm?line=31&

The cruise ship stop is just after the terminus stop on this timing

Greyline also has a direct shuttle to the Gardens. You don't have to buy their tour. Last time we went we took the shuttle bus into town, then walked the block to the Greyline terminal. We bought our Gardens tickets on-line and saved a bunch over the ship and the Greyline tour. The bus is fast and easy. google Greyline and Buchart Gardens and then scroll through until you find the transportation only information.

• 5 weeks later...

The gardens are a year round attraction but in all candour, as we move into mid October the vibrant colours of summer will be waining. Yes it does rain in Victoria in mid October but it much dryer than most areas of metro-Vancouver and probably won't impact your visit much if at all.:)

Archived