Thomson Destiny 22nd October 2009 - Med Renaissance

We're sailing on this cruise, first timers. Sailing from palma - flying to Palma from Newcastle. Anyone else on this one? have looked but can't find a thread for it already. Countdown has begun!

• 2 weeks later...
We're sailing on this cruise, first timers. Sailing from palma - flying to Palma from Newcastle. Anyone else on this one? have looked but can't find a thread for it already. Countdown has begun!

hi we are on this cruise we fly from liverpool at three thirty so we arrive late :):)

We'll be sailing on Destiny 10-17 Sept around west med for our honeymoon..

If you let me have your email, I could let you know details about the ship, however, my route is different to yours. We've booked hotel in Mallorca for first week, and cruise the second week.

Jon and Teresa

• 3 weeks later...

sounds lovely! thank you for your replies :D

Im concerned about what to take to wear in the dining room on an evening (although we dont plan to eat in there much to be honest - my son has his sights set on the buffet!) - and what about captains night? Im not a 'dress' person and would prefer to wear smart trousers and a nice top - would that be acceptable??

hi clare, my wife and i are doing this cruise on 24th sept.we,ll let you know how it goes as its our first cruise too.deps on wifes birthday and our 41st anniversary is on 28th.5 weeks thurs and counting.adrian.

We'll be sailing on Destiny 10-17 Sept around west med for our honeymoon..

If you let me have your email, I could let you know details about the ship, however, my route is different to yours. We've booked hotel in Mallorca for first week, and cruise the second week.

Jon and Teresa

thank you - Id love to hear about your experiences :D I cant seem to use the Pm system at the moment (probably not enough posts yet?)

hi we are on this cruise we fly from Liverpool at three thirty so we arrive late :):)

6 weeks and 3 days! Im a bit nervous now - its very daunting! still grappling with what to pack and what we need for the formal night etc. Having a weight limit with flying is a bit of a problem, I am almost wishing we had chosen a different cruise and were meeting the ship here! almost :p

sounds lovely! thank you for your replies :D

Im concerned about what to take to wear in the dining room on an evening (although we dont plan to eat in there much to be honest - my son has his sights set on the buffet!) - and what about captains night? Im not a 'dress' person and would prefer to wear smart trousers and a nice top - would that be acceptable??

In the dining room evenings for men are just smart, Eg : slacks, polo shirt shirt jacket. ladies just smart. Formal night for men is DJ or tux or just nice suit and tie, lady short or long coktail dress. go on treat ya self its part of the fun hahah.. Happy hols

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,Myself, my partner and our 5 year old daughter are on this cruise on the 22nd of Oct flying out of Manchester (about 7am i think)

We're really looking forward to it, none of us have cruised before - we're also a bit apprehensive about dress codes, but after reading advice on this site, we're just taking casual/smart casual - and maybe something a tad smarter for the Gala evening.

PS - does anyone know if we'll get to spend a little time to have a look around Palma, after we've gone through the on board check-in formalities?

Cheers

Hi,Myself, my partner and our 5 year old daughter are on this cruise on the 22nd of Oct flying out of Manchester (about 7am i think)

We're really looking forward to it, none of us have cruised before - we're also a bit apprehensive about dress codes, but after reading advice on this site, we're just taking casual/smart casual - and maybe something a tad smarter for the Gala evening.

PS - does anyone know if we'll get to spend a little time to have a look around Palma, after we've gone through the on board check-in formalities?

Cheers

No problem! Picking up your coach is usually quite quick at Palma then it's a short ride 10/15 minutes to the port. The registration/I.D. process depends on how many passengers arrive at the same time but doesn't usually take long and then it's boarding and finding your cabin. About an hour from making yourself known to the rep at the airport to getting on board is not an unreasonable time frame.

Your cases will arrive at your cabin some time later. As you have an early flight, you should be all settled in well before lunch. You are free to leave the ship as soon as you're ready and as it's a late sail away you have loads of time without worrying about getting back by say, 5pm as is the case with many ports of call.

It's convenient to get from the port into Palma - just turn right and follow the waterfront - or if you don't feel like walking, at the end of the port is a bus stop and the Linea 1 bus will take you into the centre.

I hope you enjoy your first cruise :)

No problem! Picking up your coach is usually quite quick at Palma then it's a short ride 10/15 minutes to the port. The registration/I.D. process depends on how many passengers arrive at the same time but doesn't usually take long and then it's boarding and finding your cabin. About an hour from making yourself known to the rep at the airport to getting on board is not an unreasonable time frame.

Your cases will arrive at your cabin some time later. As you have an early flight, you should be all settled in well before lunch. You are free to leave the ship as soon as you're ready and as it's a late sail away you have loads of time without worrying about getting back by say, 5pm as is the case with many ports of call.

It's convenient to get from the port into Palma - just turn right and follow the waterfront - or if you don't feel like walking, at the end of the port is a bus stop and the Linea 1 bus will take you into the centre.

I hope you enjoy your first cruise :)

Many thanks for your excellent (and informative) reply.

hi claire,we came back thurs off med renneissance its great.weather was very good too.the ship is excellent the crew are brilliant and everything is spotless.we didnt go to seven seas at all we dined at lido buffet at stern of ship.very good food plenty of choice and a lovely veiw too.as soon as you empty your plate the waiters are ther taking it away.theres cold water and coffee on tap and tea bags and hot water 24 hrs a day.the entertainment is brilliant and the can can and oaklahoma lounges are really nice.lager is stella beer is boddingtons.we had a few glasses of rosay wine here and there and it was cold and lovely.the excursions are great but beware in rome there is a lot of walking and the guide didnt hang about tho theres one behind too in case of stradlers.we were shattered at the end of it.and we had a couple of small pizzas and a 1/2 a lager and shandy in a cafe bar and it was 20.65 euros.tho i didnt mind as we needed a cold drink and a sit down so we could finish the walking tour.i walk miles with my dog but the heat and pace was hard for me.villefrance is lovely,pisa was nice[we did the trolley train trip]not much walking on that one.monuments of rome is lots of walking and you dont go inside the collosium only outside. corsica is beutifull and we did the best of costa brava in spain and it was fantastic,tossa del mar and lloret del mar were lovely.good shops and time to get some pressies at last.also a lovely little shop in lloret that sells ciggies as my mum wanted some and we couldnt get any till then.much cheaper than uk and took euros or sterling too.i think i enjoyed that trip most really.the guide was excellent and the scenery on the coast road was wonderfull i recomend it to you if you like a nice relaxing coach trip.nice new air con coach and very good driver. i hope you have the same weather we had it was warm/hot and sunny all week.just a tad of rain as we docked in spain but cleared up later.i cant see how you cant enjoy the cruise as your spoilt from start to finish and its the first time i was sad to be coming home.anything else you want to know just ask ok.cheers adrian.

Hello ade, so pleased you had a great time - you sound as though you've got the 'bug' It happens to most of us!!!! :)

We did Rome on the train on one occasion - but felt we needed to get back early just in case! The next time we did the 'Rome on Your Own' ship's trip which gave us about 2 more hours in Rome. We were 'independent' in Rome so could do things at our own pace - of course you don't have the benefit of a guide though. Last time we bought tickets for the Colosseum on-line before we left (also gives entry to the Forum). It was an 'open' ticket so we weren't worried about making it for a 'timed' entrance and we bought the audio guide to tell us all about the site. I know what you mean about Rome though, there's such a lot to see and it's very tiring - sounds as though you had a pretty hot day too. I love Rome - so interesting. Plenty to see next time ade............:D

Hi Adrian - so glad you enjoyed it and you have made it sound so good! great advice on this thread - and Im so glad a few more have come to post - so its not just me and the family on the ship alone then LOL we fly 7am from newcastle so a nice early flight too - glad to know we can get off once settled and go see palma.

cant wait - 2 weeks on thursday!

quick question for those who have been on destiny recently - I have asked this already and was told the voltage was same as uk and so were the sockets however in the ticket book today i have read that they are american style 2 pin sockets and its only 110 voltage? which is no good for my battery charger or hairdryer or toms DS charger.

Can anyone tell me what they actually are?

Most things will re-charge as Jenny said but I had to take my camera to reception to get charged. Reception will re-charge any appliance you have. Just book it in and collect it a few hours later. Very Nice:D

quick question for those who have been on destiny recently - I have asked this already and was told the voltage was same as uk and so were the sockets however in the ticket book today i have read that they are american style 2 pin sockets and its only 110 voltage? which is no good for my battery charger or hairdryer or toms DS charger.

Can anyone tell me what they actually are?

just back tonight from the Destiny-the plugs are American 2 flat pin and 110v

you wont need a hairdryer-one provided in cabin

take an adaptor for the socket and as long as your chargers are dual 110/240v they will work-I charged my phone,camcorder battery and camera battery

only one socket tho so cant charge lots at once

we were in an outside deck 6 cabin-I believe some of the deluxe cabins have a british socket by the TV butcant confirm that!

Flat pin American Stye socket on the dresser. But the TV On the wall has a 2 pin round socket. We attached the adaptor on there and ran out a small extension lead which we brought with us. Dead easy. Only used one adaptor and used the standard 3 pin extension lead. Plug loads in at one time. :D

Although as I said before, it did charge my camera, but it did it very slowly. That is why I took it to Reception. My phones and everything else was fine. 3 Phones plugged in charging every night.

Archived