Favorite excursion from Naples?

sjde

We are going on an eastern Mediterranean cruise in November on Celebrity and have a stop in Naples. One of our group wants to see Pompeii but the other 3 are debating Isle of Capri with lunch, or Sorrento and Amalfi coast by boat. (I've heard that coast drive is death-defying and one of the three has a fear of heights!)

Which is the quaintest, most picturesque city--Amalfi, Positano or Sorrento? I would think Positano since it is the smallest?

Which did you like best--Capri, Amalfi or Sorrento?

Thanks!

Sue

We did a private excursion from Naples. (8 of us from CC) We drove the Amalfi coast stopping in Sorrento and Positano. I liked Sorrento better. (Be sure to buy some lemoncello) The scenery along the drive was spectacular! Then we stopped for a wonderful lunch. The afternoon was spent at Pompeii. This was a highlight for me. We had a guided tour. The ruins are AMAZING! It was hot (early Sept.), but our drvier/guide wanted to do Pompeii on the way back since it was closer to the ship. It was easier to gauge the time.

If I had to do it over again, I would take the same trip. It was nice to see both part of the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii. Leave the Isle of Capri for another trip.

For me, Positano wins out, with Amalfi second. Sorrento is nice, but it doesn't have the "spectacular" factor that the other two do.

Capri is also lovely but requires a full day, so if you do it, don't plan on anything else. I've been there piecemeal (half days, with something else on the agenda) and it wasn't as satisfying.

Pompei is interesting and so is Herculaneum, which is smaller and easier to see in totality.

Don't leave out Naples herself. There's lots to see and do there as well, you could easily fill a day and not get to most of it.

I think it depends on what you and the other members of your group enjoy. For views, atmosphere and great food, I'd choose Positano, Amalfi or Capri (for shopping as well). For pure shopping, Sorrento. For ancient history, Pompei and Herculaneum. For a little bit of everything (including ancient history, at the archeological museum), I'd choose Naples.

Archived