Looking for a quick getaway end of August! Help

Scott_F

I need ideas. I'm all over the Carnival and Royal website. We live in TX, but went on Ecstasy this summer, Conquest last summer and really don't want to repeat Ecstasy. Conquest has the same 3 stops we've seem to do just about every cruise.

So, I'm up for an airplane ride to get to FL or CA.

I've checked New Orleans and Mobile and Tampa and they seem to be quite similar to the Galveston itineraries.

I guess I'm asking my fellow Carnival cruisers what's the best 4-5 night ship sailing off either coast these days? I realize the shorter cruises get the older, smaller ships. That's okay.

Also, while we're at it, we're not opposed to a 7 nighter but really wanted to try to keep the costs lower on this "getaway".

Help!?!?!?! :)

Check-out the San Diego five day sailings on Elation that include Cabo. It's a great getaway and San Diego is a wonderful town to sail from and spend a pre and/or post cruise night in. You can usually find good deals on Southwest to San Diego also.

Yep, I did look at Jacksonville. I wasn't sure about the ship, just trying to bone up on the various reviews. Cruise Critic reviews are pretty good for getting a good general feel for a ship. I don't necessarily focus on the bad reviews. But if the balance of reviews are 3-4 stars, it's probably not a bad ship for us to try.

We were on her back in Mar. and to be honest, the ship is pretty old and smaller then we're used to...BUT, our room was fine, the food was good, and the entertainment was really good.

We also really enjoyed a little outside eating area just off the lido that ISN'T around the pool. The Fascination has this neat little deck area with tables and chairs that make for really intimate, fun times with your significant other. You have to either walk through the buffet and through an outside door to get to it, or through a door just off the bar area of the pool. It's very private and in the evenings, no a soul there! Great!

We also enjoyed the relaxed feel. I'm not sure why, but the Fascination in particular had this really....chilled out feel to her. We liked that a lot!

Anyway, just a suggestion. Let us know what you decide. :)

Scott, just booked a cruise yesterday on the Freedom for 6-nights out of Ft. Lauderdale. Was able to get a good deal as a past guest. I was also looking for a great rate due to the fact that I will be sailing again the 2nd week of September. Will most likely book the Splendor today for the September trip.

Conquest does a "eastern" too, key west and two bahamas stops... but doesnt look like it matches your dates. We are doing it sept 20th, but the eastern is also more expensive out of galveston, so maybe it doesnt match your criteria.

I like the Monarch of the Seas out of Port Canaveral for short, but its not so easy to fly into Orlando and get to the port, so that sort of confines you to Tampa, Miami or Ft. Lauderdale? Imagination or Inspiration next would be my choice, but I dont know that I would fly for only a 5 day cruise. Id do a B2B!!

Check-out the San Diego five day sailings on Elation that include Cabo. It's a great getaway and San Diego is a wonderful town to sail from and spend a pre and/or post cruise night in. You can usually find good deals on Southwest to San Diego also.

This would be my pick.........they offer a 4 & 5 days to Cabo.......

And as yst said........you can't beat sailing out of beautiful and easy San Diego.

Good luck!

Go to the west coast: great cruises out of both LA and San Diego: OR go NW and do the Alaskan cruise.

Our best cruise was Alaska (2006) and the end of August is a great time to sail. Additionally, we did the Mexican Riveria (2007) out of LA in late September, it too was a great cruise.

As long as you are considering flying, there are several cruises out of Port Everglades, Port Canaveral, and Miami to the Eastern and Southern Caribbean. :)

Scott, just booked a cruise yesterday on the Freedom for 6-nights out of Ft. Lauderdale. Was able to get a good deal as a past guest. I was also looking for a great rate due to the fact that I will be sailing again the 2nd week of September. Will most likely book the Splendor today for the September trip.

I looked at the Carnival Freedom but my date (near Aug 23) corresponds with the same old ports we've done over and over out of Galveston.

Freedom of the Seas out of Canaveral is a 7 nighter option I tossed out to the wife a while ago. I'd prefer the 7 nighter. Our last cruise was a 5 nighter in June and I was ready to stay another day or two.

I'm booking the Conquest again out of Galveston. The bottom line is that it's close to home. It's a ship we've had a good experience with. And its just the two of us trying to find some alone time. :) Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Archived