honduras unrest

lvislands

I am on the Crown cruise immediately before yours. It will be interesting to see when and what excursions are listed. This is not a port that we have our hearts set on so if things change, we will go with the flow.

...Cruise lines have been going to Venezual and Haiti and they both have had political unreest and I am less worred about Honduras then those two countries

Do you know the name of a cruise line that goes to Caracas, Venezula?

one port on our 12/5 Crown cruise is Honduras. I noticed on Princess.com there are currently no excursions offered. Is it likely Princess will change the itinerary? And if so, best guess as to where it will go instead?

We will be on the Crown at the end of December, and I hope Roatan is not bypassed for any reason, and I don't think the unrest on the mainland will affect it, but you never know.

It is a beautiful island, and we can't wait to go back.

Mike

We are on the Crown on 11/7 and are stopping at Roatan. No shore exursions show up yet for us as well. This may be due to the fact that this is the first year that Princess will be going to Roatan. Most of the previous Western Caribbean cruises on Princess stopped in Jamacia, but Princess dropped Jamacia and added Roatan starting in November. I think we are actually the first Princess ship to dock in Roatan. That being said, Carnival has been stopping there for some time and since Princess is owned by Carnival, I am assuming the excursions will be similar. Carnival has continued to stop on Roatan despite the unrest on the mainland so I am betting we will all stop too absent of something bigger happening.

Tim

We were in Caracus in January on Sea Princess but I think they dropped it for the next cruise.

We had a great tour with Princess there.

Nice to hear, Shogun,

We did the Princess 4x4 tour which went up the mountain, with great views over Caracus. We stopped for lunch which was a very fresh sandwich and real fruit juice, thick like a smoothie.

At the top you should have had a view of Caracus on one side and the Caribbean on the other but it was very misty. We decended on the cable car, taking off into the mist at some speed. It was just like Space Mountain. There is an ice rink at the top of the mountain which the local Caracus people use, accessing it by cable car.

We had a drive round Caracus on the way back to the ship.

We are on the Crown on 11/7 and are stopping at Roatan. No shore exursions show up yet for us as well. This may be due to the fact that this is the first year that Princess will be going to Roatan. Most of the previous Western Caribbean cruises on Princess stopped in Jamacia, but Princess dropped Jamacia and added Roatan starting in November. I think we are actually the first Princess ship to dock in Roatan. That being said, Carnival has been stopping there for some time and since Princess is owned by Carnival, I am assuming the excursions will be similar. Carnival has continued to stop on Roatan despite the unrest on the mainland so I am betting we will all stop too absent of something bigger happening.

Tim

Roatan isn't new. Our Western Caribbean cruise on the Grand stopped there in, I think, 2006.

We were in Roatan last week (7/31) on the Carnival Legend and there were no problems at all. The Captain did send out a notice that there was a planned peaceful demonstration by the island's teachers at one of the local parks, but we didn't see it and everyone seemed very happy and welcoming.

We booked the Fins & Flippers Resort day on our own and loved the peaceful day on the beach and around the pool. I would highly recommend this place if you just want to kick back and relax. $20.00 pp if booked online and $$25.00 if you just show up - food and beverages are not included (but very reasonable).

Our oldest child recently returned from a year of teaching in Honduras. She feels Roatan is entirely different than the mainland, and that there is very little danger for Gringos even in the cities. The people in Honduras were very warm and welcoming to her. It is a very, very poor country and thievery is rampant, that is probably the more likely risk. She had her ipod, camera and most of her jewelry all taken, and at different times, but loved it there.

They went to Roatan several weekends. It is the original banana republic.

Nice to hear, Shogun,

We did the Princess 4x4 tour which went up the mountain, with great views over Caracus. We stopped for lunch which was a very fresh sandwich and real fruit juice, thick like a smoothie.

At the top you should have had a view of Caracus on one side and the Caribbean on the other but it was very misty. We decended on the cable car, taking off into the mist at some speed. It was just like Space Mountain. There is an ice rink at the top of the mountain which the local Caracus people use, accessing it by cable car.

We had a drive round Caracus on the way back to the ship.

Can we ask when you were able to do this? Politics aside, how could we not see Caractas. I'm checking with our travel agent now. Sure hope we experience that which you did. Sounds fun.

Several of the online cruise TA web sites have an option to search for cruises based on a port to be visited. I do not see this port listed abong the many choices.

Archived