Civitavecchia or Rome for 1 nite pre cruise

spatsmcd

We land at FCO 5:45pm the night before our cruise, right now i have a hotel in Rome and a transfer the next day. Now i am thinking about going straight to Civitavecchia from the airport and i am sure fall asleep after a bite. Then we would be able to walk around the town, do a little shopping. What do you think? Also do you know of any hotels in town that allow smoking? I have spent 10 days in Rome before. Thank you.

Why not? As long as there's nothing you need to see or do in Rome, head straight to Civitavecchia. Get a good night's sleep and you won't have to worry about anything but heading over to the port when you're ready.

Lew

Hotel Traiano in Civitavechia.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g194743-d565780-Reviews-Hotel_Traiano-Civitavecchia_Lazio.html.

The hotel is family run and is clean and well furnished.Just what you need

We stayed there in 2007 and will be doing the same in September. If you have come in long haul you will be really tired. You would not have chance to see anything in Rome. Just chance for a stroll and something to eat before crahing out.

get in touch with the hotel direct. They do airport pick ups at a competitive rate and a free shuttle to the ship on the morning of embarkation

We land at FCO 5:45pm the night before our cruise, right now i have a hotel in Rome and a transfer the next day. Now i am thinking about going straight to Civitavecchia from the airport and i am sure fall asleep after a bite. Then we would be able to walk around the town, do a little shopping. What do you think? Also do you know of any hotels in town that allow smoking? I have spent 10 days in Rome before. Thank you.

Given your details, I'd take the train to Civitavecchia. Hotel Miramare (on the water) is an easy 5 minute walk. We did exactly that last Oct and will do it again the next time (maybe this Oct).

We are arriving in Rome early morning, have a guide for all day, into the night and then he is taking us straight to the hotel in Civitavecchia.

I would rather be able to sleep in, the morning of sailing and have a non rushed day.

Might be able to do a quick walking tour before heading to the ship.

There isn't much to see in Civitavecchia, it was largely destroyed during WWII. Nearby (about ten miles north, I think) is Tarquinia, which has a good Etruscan antiquities museum. A few members of our group were going to so there rather than traipse into Rome when we were in port a couple of weeks ago. As it turned out, they felt lazy and never left the ship, but I still have the research data.

http://www.ufficioturistico.comunetarquinia.it/Default_ENG.aspx

We are leaving from Civitavecchia and figured we'd leave Rome around noon (so we can get a little early morning sightseeing in) as there isn't much worthy to see at the port. Are thre any "must see" things in Civitavecchia? Or is it advisable to just head there for the cruise and board the ship...?

Archived