Anyone ever taken an NCL fishing excursion?

giantcrazy

Hate to double post - put this in the Bermuda section but there's not much volume there (and past posts don't seem to have garnered much attention).

Wanted to see if anyone had ever taken an NCL sponsored fishing excursion. The one I'm looking for is out of Bermuda, but I figured NCL must be somewhat consistent across the line, even out of other ports of call.

Some questions I had:

- Does NCL provide transportation to/from the fishing boat (their description is a bit sketchy)

- Food is listed as provided, but what food do they give?

- If you do catch fish, are you allowed to bring it home? How do you store it until you return?

- Are gratuities for the crew provided?

TIA for any feedback you might have...

Hate to double post - put this in the Bermuda section but there's not much volume there (and past posts don't seem to have garnered much attention).

Wanted to see if anyone had ever taken an NCL sponsored fishing excursion. The one I'm looking for is out of Bermuda, but I figured NCL must be somewhat consistent across the line, even out of other ports of call.

Some questions I had:

- Does NCL provide transportation to/from the fishing boat (their description is a bit sketchy)

- If you do catch fish, are you allowed to bring it home? How do you store it until you return?

I've never taken a fishing excursion, but assuming you are talking about the Deep Sea Charter excursion, I clicked on the link for the full description, and it says you get a box lunch and beverage. Box lunches on other excursions I've been on are usually a sandwich and some sort of snack-type item.

NCL tours normally include transportation to the tour start site. In the case of an excursion like this, it is quite posible the fishing boat will come to you...tie up at the pier near your ship.

Gratuities for tour guides are normally not included on any excursion.

Common sense tells me you will not be allowed to bring your catch on board your cruise ship.

njhorseman-

Common sense tells me you will not be allowed to bring your catch on board your cruise ship.

That's what I'd think as well (well, common sense and customs regulations - didn't think they allowed meats/produce/vegetables/etc., of which this would be considered a part of).

But I came across a posting on a fishing excursion (out of Cozumel) stating that they caught quite a bit of fish and brought it back home. It was an older post, otherwise I'd have bumped it, but between the logistics and regulations I'm thinking it's probably not feasible.

Still - I'd rather have the facts from someone who did go rather than take guesses on my own.

You can dress it up in a baby balnket like Lucy did on the plane with the cheese from Italy:D (Geez, she was a funny lady!)

I would like to hear more about the fishing excursion too. I think there was a reef excursion and deep sea excusion.

njhorseman-

That's what I'd think as well (well, common sense and customs regulations - didn't think they allowed meats/produce/vegetables/etc., of which this would be considered a part of).

But I came across a posting on a fishing excursion (out of Cozumel) stating that they caught quite a bit of fish and brought it back home. It was an older post, otherwise I'd have bumped it, but between the logistics and regulations I'm thinking it's probably not feasible.

Still - I'd rather have the facts from someone who did go rather than take guesses on my own.

Interesting information about that Cozumel excursion. Even if the ship was willing to allow you to bring it onboard and store it for you, there is no way they could have brought it home to the US...as you have noted in your comment about customs regulations.

You're right of course about getting the facts from someone who has done it.

See, and this is why I don't guess:

* Fish, wildlife and products made from them -- These are subject to state laws, import and export restrictions, prohibitions, permits or certificates as well as quarantine requirements. For details, contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service before you leave if you plan to bring back any wild birds, land or marine mammals, reptiles, fish, shellfish, mollusks or invertebrates or parts of these (such as feathers, bones or fur) or products made from these parts (such as ivory combs or tortoiseshell boxes). We must be aware of endangered species and products made from these species and must obtain permits from Fish and Wildlife to import them. This list includes any kind of ivory (except from the warthog or unless the ivory product is an antique and can be documented as being at least 100 years old); there are specific laws pertaining to each kind of ivory (from African elephants, Asian elephants, whales, etc.) so make sure you know the law before you consider purchasing ivory in a foreign country. (Contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service at 1-800-358-2104.) These items are dealt with only at certain Customs entry ports; contact Customs for a list.

A call to the US F&WS a few minutes ago revealed that I am allowed to return with fresh fish provided it's either frozen or sealed in plastic, and not on the endangered list. Seeing as they're out for tuna and marlin, I'm in good shape from a regulatory perspective!

Now, the ship is a different story entirely - I wonder how I'd go about contacting NCL to find out how they handle the catch from these excursions (seeing as they're sponsored by the boat, they must be expecting a question like that).

Edit: Just tried accessing NCL.com - and now it says 'no available excursions' wrt my cruise. Is that because they sold out?

See, and this is why I don't guess:

A call to the US F&WS a few minutes ago revealed that I am allowed to return with fresh fish provided it's either frozen or sealed in plastic, and not on the endangered list. Seeing as they're out for tuna and marlin, I'm in good shape from a regulatory perspective!

Now, the ship is a different story entirely - I wonder how I'd go about contacting NCL to find out how they handle the catch from these excursions (seeing as they're sponsored by the boat, they must be expecting a question like that).

Edit: Just tried accessing NCL.com - and now it says 'no available excursions' wrt my cruise. Is that because they sold out?

Thanks...interesting information on bringing fish into the country.

You're cruising shortly? I think you said next week on the other board? NCL closes shore excursions to online booking a couple of weeks before sailing. You can still book any available excursions once to get on the ship.

A thought that crossed my mind...maybe NCL has made an arrangement with the operator of the ship-sponsored shore excursion that has the fishing charter operator package the fish for you in a way that is acceptable to the cruise line, so you would be able to bring it on board.

There may be local restaurants that will cook your catch. Also consider booking this yourself as you are there for several days and don't have the worry of missing the ship. Also, regarding fishing from the balcony, I actually saw some crew members fishing off the back of the RCL Legend of the Seas when it was anchored in Cozumel a couple years ago.

Some questions I had:

We went on a NCL sponsored fishing expedition in Juneau, Alaska. The charter picked us up at the dock and drove us to the boat. As for food, I don’t remember if NCL advertised food was provided, but we were not served a meal . . . rather they provided non-alcoholic drinks and some smoked salmon on crackers which was very good.

We caught some salmon. The fishing boat offered a deal where they would clean, fillet and if you chose, smoke the salmon and overnight ship the fish to your home on the day of your choice. The day after we arrived home from the cruise we received the smoked salmon in vacuum sealed bags boxed and packed in ice “gel” packets. They charged us around $75 to process and mail the fish. We figure the fish cost us about $100 a pound when all the costs were tallied, :eek: but we would do it all over again as it was a blast. :D

Gratuities were not provided and we tipped the captain and his first mate.

I did the same thing in Juneau, Alaska. We had a short walk to where they assigned the fishing boats then off you go. I don't remember about food and drink either. They will clean and ship your fish, I got mine the day after arriving home. The fishing part, the boat gets in a line with all of the other boats then you go in a big oval. Like circling the wagons. It was fun.

Fishing off of your balcony. That's the ticket:D;)

You know you've done a good job raising your kids when your five year old expresses outrage at the fact that you can't fish from the balcony ('but we ARE going to be at sea, right? So why not?').

I gave NCL a call yesterday and confirmed that they do not make accommodations to return the fish home. I did speak with a couple of seasoned fishermen who say that the charters typically have an option to seal, freeze and ship the stuff back home, but it's not inexpensive.

I'm going to give it a shot - I'm more about the fishing than the fish anyway, but wanted to know what my rights and options were before heading out.

Thanks again to all for the feedback.

You know you've done a good job raising your kids when your five year old expresses outrage at the fact that you can't fish from the balcony ('but we ARE going to be at sea, right? So why not?').

Why not?

One can get the line fouled in the propeller witch will stop the ship and maybe throw you overboard.

Hey maybe that's why so many cruisers end up overboard.

Why not?

One can get the line fouled in the propeller witch will stop the ship and maybe throw you overboard.

Hey maybe that's why so many cruisers end up overboard.

I too was disappointed with the 5 year old's understanding of marine propulsion, and sentenced him to his room with a copy of 'Boating for Dummies'. :rolleyes:

I have been on NCL deep sea fishing excursions in both Hawaii and Mexico. In Hawaii they transported us to the marina. No food or snacks were provided, but you could buy them at the port. I did give the crew a tip upon return.

In Mexico we tendered to the port and the fishing boat's were right there. They did provide water, soda and some snacks. Tip to crew on return.

Did not catch fish on either trip, so I am not sure what you would do with it.

I know you can take to a restrauant, on land, and have it cooked. On the Mexican cruise, I booked my own boat in Cabo. Expensive but really nice. I thought I could get some people from the ship to go and split the cost. I was wrong so paid for the whole thing. They provided breakfast, water, soda and beer. 2 marlins in 4 hours. In Mexico you can keep 1 game fish per license. I kept the first one and gave it to the crew. They were very pleased and I had a great day fishing.:)

We did an awful NCL Reef Fishing excursion in Belize. Hardly any fish and too many people crammed on a shallow hull boat with very little shade. The rails were shoulder to shoulder with people, no way to cast, and about 8 fish total caught for like 25 people - each would be a nice size for my fish tank.

We do a lot of private charters from cruises and land vacations. Alaskan charters usually provide the chance to have your catch smoked or frozen and shipped home. It is very expensive but nice if you can afford it (cooking the salmon that you caught last week and serving your guests provides great stories). Most Caribbean charters are catch and release for game fish or the boat keeps the catch. Have caught marlin, sailfish, mako (and other sharks), and a lot of tuna in Hawaii and the Caribbean, have hardly ever kept the catch - although we did keep a couple small tuna in Hawaii on one charter - but had a house to cook it in that night - the larger fish went to the crew. Never done a Bermuda charter, so I couldn't tell you what the "rules" are, but unless they can arrange for freezing and shipping, I doubt you will be permitted to keep the catch - especially on an NCL sponsored trip.

Robin

Archived