Sugar Ray Leonard boxed on QE2

hansol1966

On UK tv last night i saw as part of an unrelated programme a clip of Sugar Ray on the QE2 sparring five rounds with an amateur boxer (QE2 waiter Steve Sinclair). Sugar Ray was World champion at the time but recovering from an eye injury. The bout looked like it was set in the Queens room with a roped ring. After gingerley sparring the waiter chanced his arm and hit Sugar Ray with two hard head shots, this was not a good idea as Leonard promptly winded him with a heavy bodypunch, when asked if it hurt (no reply) he hit him again and said that one did. Leonard won the fight.

Just wondered if anyone saw this fight or knew about it..early eighties i think.

Fred & Sian

• 1 year later...
On UK tv last night i saw as part of an unrelated programme a clip of Sugar Ray on the QE2 sparring five rounds with an amateur boxer (QE2 waiter Steve Sinclair).

I do not see that this is an appropriate way for adults to behave. Normally an organised fight ends with a prosecution. I cannot see how boxing escapes this end.

On UK tv last night i saw as part of an unrelated programme a clip of Sugar Ray on the QE2 sparring five rounds with an amateur boxer (QE2 waiter Steve Sinclair). Sugar Ray was World champion at the time but recovering from an eye injury. The bout looked like it was set in the Queens room with a roped ring. After gingerley sparring the waiter chanced his arm and hit Sugar Ray with two hard head shots, this was not a good idea as Leonard promptly winded him with a heavy bodypunch, when asked if it hurt (no reply) he hit him again and said that one did. Leonard won the fight.

Just wondered if anyone saw this fight or knew about it..early eighties i think.

Fred & Sian

I was very likely on this crossing. I don't know how many times Sugar Ray Leonard was on the QE2, but he was on an eastbound crossing I made in 1982. I remember him nightly dancing n the theater bar. A young lady at my table in the dining room became very friendly with him. I didn't see the fight you mention, though.

I do not see that this is an appropriate way for adults to behave. Normally an organised fight ends with a prosecution. I cannot see how boxing escapes this end.

William - whilst I agree with your sentiments about boxing I can't see what point there is is stating them in a thread asking about an event on QE2 in the 80s.

Archived