What's the process on the last day of the cruise

cruiser1177

Hi, could someone please advise what usually happens on the last day of the cruise once you have disembarked the ship. We are on Sea Princess Southern Carribean later this year.

We fly in and out of Barbados from UK and I wondered if we would actually get a chance to see Barbados. Our return flight is around 7pm.

Is something organised to fill your time until the flight and what happens with luggage do you have to carry this around or is it transferred to the airport?

Thanks

c1177

Have you booked your own flights, or is the whole lot a package organised via a TA? We've done a number of Caribbean cruises, including a Sea Princess, all of which involved a late departure/overnight flight home. In a number of cases, we have had a day room at an hotel near the airport supplied - it might be worth asking the question?

If it's a UK based package, Princess may well not have much involvement. I'd contact your TA, and ask them what, if any, arrangements have been made for you after disembarking and pre-flight. The answer may be Nothing, we'll just take you to the airport for a long wait, in which case look at possible shorex as mentioned above. Or they may say, Yes we'll be taking you to a nice hotel to wait, and then to the airport.

Can't hurt to ask??

Once we have disembarked the ship, usually DH has to use all of his brute force to pry my fingers from around the wrists of our cabin steward, whom I have dragged along with us. After the good steward has gained his freedom, DH drags me kicking and screaming all the way to the airport. You'd think he'd get used to it after all this time, but no . . .:rolleyes:

I suggest you bring a good book to keep your mind occupied while at the airport.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

I'm going to back the question up a step because disembarking is a little more complicated than you might imagine:

At some point towards the end of your cruise, your cabin steward will leave a form in your cabin asking what time you expect to depart the ship. If you have an airline flight, you'll need to tell him what time that flight leaves. Based upon your answers, the next day you'll get colored tickets to attach to your luggage.

I'm totally making up these colors/times, but you'll get the idea: People who are scheduled to leave first might receive orange luggage tags and instructions to leave the ship between 7:30-7:45. People who are scheduled to leave second might receive gray tags and instructions to leave theship 7:45-8:00 . . . and so on.

On the last night of your cruise, you have to have your appropriately-tagged luggage out in the hallway be 11:00 or 12:00 --whatever time your steward tells you -- and it'll disappear magically.

The next day you'll leave the ship, go through customs, and then you'll be reunited with your luggage.

If you leave the ship at the "wrong time", you won't be stopped . . . but your luggage won't be waiting. They'll put all the orange tags on the conveyor belt between 7:30-7:45, the gray tags between 7:45-8:00, etc.

OR

You can choose to self-disembark, which means you carry your own luggage off at your own pace. Out of politeness to your fellow passengers, you shouldn't choose self-disembarkation if you have lots of luggage. The elevators are something of a problem on the last day because so many people are carrying excessive stuff.

Now, back to your question . . . when you've cleared customs and have found your luggage, you're on your own. If your flight is early, you might need to hurry to the airport. If it's not until evening, you may have the whole day at your disposal.

You need to find out what kind of transportation your package is providing for you. If your flight isn't until evening, I'd suggest renting a car at the terminal and driving around a bit. You'd be able to store your luggage in the trunk. The ship probably offers excursions, and they probably have a plan for luggage storage in these circumstances.

On the last morning you have the same options as every other morning: room service, dining room (although shorter hours), or the Lido. We like to have breakfast in the Lido, as it gives us just a few more minutes to see the crew and say goodbye to those who have been so good to us during our trips.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

On the morning of disembarkation, do most cruises offer breakfast or are we supposed to fend for ourselves after disembarking?

Yes, breakfast is offered (early) and then everything closes down for disembarkation. Some past cruises disembarkation was a nightmare with passengers having to wait, corwded into various lounges, etc. until their group was called and then the stairwells were swamped. Things have gotten better over the years.

Last time on HAL it was a breeze - we had a "silent disembarkation". Passengers had an assigned time for debarkation and had "free run" ofthe ship (Bars, pools, etc closed, but we were able to walk on deck and/or relax in our stateroom) until then and then just proceeded to the gangway at their assigned time. Much less stress!

Hi, could someone please advise what usually happens on the last day of the cruise once you have disembarked the ship. We are on Sea Princess Southern Carribean later this year.

We fly in and out of Barbados from UK and I wondered if we would actually get a chance to see Barbados. Our return flight is around 7pm.

Is something organised to fill your time until the flight and what happens with luggage do you have to carry this around or is it transferred to the airport?

Thanks

c1177

Pay your bill and get off:D

Archived