Experience Filing a Trip Cancellation Claim?

bardstowntraveller

We may have to cancel our cruise due to a family member illness (non-cruiser). My FIL was hospitalized this week but should be released today. We sail on Thursday. He will require care at home for at least the next couple of weeks. We bought travel insurance that on surface should cover us but the wording is very vague. I contacted the insurance company and they wouldn't confirm whether our cruise will be covered or not. They basically read me the clause from the policy and said I would need to file a claim and then they would determine if I was covered or not.

Has anyone else had to cancel due to a family member illness? If so, can you give me advice on making sure the insurance covers us if we have to cancel

We had to cancel our cruise 2 years ago, same issue, critically ill FIL. We had to provide doctor's reports, but were able to do that without causing the MIL and FIL distress, and we got full reimbursement. We think that the reason it was uncontested was that there was a change in his condition that could not be predicted, although we can't confirm that.

We had to cancel our cruise 2 years ago, same issue, critically ill FIL. We had to provide doctor's reports, but were able to do that without causing the MIL and FIL distress, and we got full reimbursement. We think that the reason it was uncontested was that there was a change in his condition that could not be predicted, although we can't confirm that.

I'm not concerned about pre-existing condition. He fell after we purchased the policy and his injuries are due to the fall. My concern is that they will contest our need to provide post-hospitalization care

Make sure to ask for their claim form. You must be absolutely certain to give them everything they ask for, and even more. Make sure every i is dotted and every t is crossed. Make sure you sign wherever they ask you to sign. Believe me, they can be very picky. Include every piece of medical information you can get your hands on. Have the doctor include a letter saying your FIL is in need of constant care----make sure that letter is on the doctor's letterhead. Include copies of emergency room visit, hospital stay and copies of any prescription medication that he must take. The process once you mail it in should take two weeks.

Three years ago we had to cancel a land based vacation that was a gift to my grandson because he suddenly became ill and was in the hospital for several days a few weeks before we were ready to leave. There were forms to complete and submit, but the claim was paid quickly and without any hassles.

In addition to all of Kitty9's suggestions, I would add that the Doctor's letters/forms should include a statement about why it is important that you and your husband personally provide the care. For 20+ years I worked in a hospital/clinic and know how many times insurance reimbursement requests came back for more specific information from physicians.

When a traveler is medically unable to go it is much easier to justify by the physician saying - they cannot travel. For staying home to care for a FIL it can be A much more complicated justification.

Rosalie

We had to cancel in 2004 due to an illness (and subsequent death) in my family. After sending in the papers we were reimbursed for the trip. Then in 2007 we again had to cancel a trip and again we received full reimbursement from the insurance company,

We had to cancel a trip in February. We had Celebrity's Cruise Care insurance. When we cancelled with Celebrity, they gave me the number to call to place my claim. I phoned, gave appropriate info; company sent me forms and told me I had one year to fill out. We did not need to include any medical paperwork -- just had the doctor fill out the provided questionnaire. We promtly received a refund less the cost of the insurance.

Archived