Capri??? & need help Mykonos, rhodes, & Corfu

*TravelinTeacher*

Hi Everyone,

Mh and i will be traveling on Royal Caribbean legend of the seas next week and have a few questions. We will be in Naples and would like to visit capri on our own since we visited pompeii on our last trip. Do we need book something in advance or can we just take care of it when we get there? how much would it be to get to capri (doesn't have to be a private tour, we are looking for something not too expensive). Also once we get to capri is everything within walking distance?

Also for Mykonos, Rhodes, and Corfu any suggestions? Are there any wineries near any of the ports that we would be able to visit in a day? if not i would love to have some beach days at least once or twice so any suggestions for that and how to get there?

Thanks so much :)

We just returned from this cruise - you are going to love it :D

We had beach days in Mykonos and in Rhodes. We caught the bus both times which kept the cost right down and in each case had a morning on the beach and still enough time to have a good wander around the towns before boarding the ship.

In Mykonos we went to Platy Gialos beach and in Rhodes to Faliraki beach. The buses ran every 20 mins or so and the journeys were around 20 mins. We had planned to do a beach in Corfu but the best beaches are on the opposite side of the island to where the ship docks it was a short day so we didn't want to spend a lot of time on buses and the taxis were charging rip-off prices.

Can't help with the winery, but if you'd like any more info on the above I'd be happy to help. :)

Old Town Corfu is very nice, with a lovely British-style promenade area called the Esplanade and an Old Fortress on the point which has fantastic views and many fun in's and out's. There also is St. Spirodon Eastern Orthodox Church, an old synagogue, and lovely narrow shopping streets.

Our cruise had only a few hours in port, so we stayed in town, and had a very pleasant morning there.

If we had had more time, I would have visited the home of mid-19th century Hapsburg Empress Elisabeth, which I believe is about 20 minutes from town and has lovely gardens.

Old Town Corfu is very nice, with a lovely British-style promenade area called the Esplanade and an Old Fortress on the point which has fantastic views and many fun in's and out's. There also is St. Spirodon Eastern Orthodox Church, an old synagogue, and lovely narrow shopping streets.

Our cruise had only a few hours in port, so we stayed in town, and had a very pleasant morning there.

If we had had more time, I would have visited the home of mid-19th century Hapsburg Empress Elisabeth, which I believe is about 20 minutes from town and has lovely gardens.

How near to Corfu town do we dock? How do we get to Corfu Town?

It's a couple of miles into the centre of Corfu town and RCL run a shuttle bus (for which they charge $5 each way :rolleyes:). If you want to go elsewhere, there are taxis waiting by the port building but I warn you they were quoting VERY high prices, taking advantage of cruiseship travellers. :mad: It was only after we returned to the port that we noticed there is a list inside the port building showing how much a taxi should cost to various places. If you wish to go somewhere by taxi check out that list first because the prices some of the taxis quoted us bore no resemblance to the prices on that list.

You dock about a 15-minute walk to the old town area. The Corfu taxi cabal insists on 10 Euros for the very short (five minute?) drive to or from town. (Not unlike the Sorrento or Malta taxi cabals we ran into in June.) Others on our cruise last September walked but we knew we would be walking a lot in town and later that day climbing around in Butrint, Albania, so we coughed up the Euros.:)

We actually did a ship tour while visiting Corfu. This island is so beautiful it is definately worth a look-see if your ship is in port long enough.

the island gets more rain than anywhere else in Greece and is covered in more than 1 million olive trees - hence the nickname "the emerald island of Greece"

We went to the monastary (I am terrible at remembering names) then to quite a few mountain villages...... through incredible countryside. We also received lunch with the price of the tour at a seaside village restaurant where the owner and staff danced for us to Greek music. Good food too. Then back to Corfu where the gave us "free time" to explore the old town area. You could stay longer if you chose to get yourself back to the ship which was within eye sight but a good walk.

This was perfect for us as we were there in late Nov. so no beach days..... but loved exploring the one end of the island we saw ! Just an option I thought I would throw into the mix :D

Hi Everyone,

Mh and i will be traveling on Royal Caribbean legend of the seas next week and have a few questions. We will be in Naples and would like to visit capri on our own since we visited pompeii on our last trip. Do we need book something in advance or can we just take care of it when we get there? how much would it be to get to capri (doesn't have to be a private tour, we are looking for something not too expensive). Also once we get to capri is everything within walking distance?

Also for Mykonos, Rhodes, and Corfu any suggestions? Are there any wineries near any of the ports that we would be able to visit in a day? if not i would love to have some beach days at least once or twice so any suggestions for that and how to get there?

Thanks so much :)

For Capri, take the hydrofoil from Naples to Capri and back again. You can catch the hydrofoil from the port in Naples.

In Corfu we wandered around the old city and went to a beach near the old fort. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the beach, but you pay a small fee to use the beach for the day. They have dressing rooms to change in and a taverna to get some food and Mythos beer.

In Mykonos we rented ATV's and cruised all over the island. It was fantastic. In Rhodes we explored the old city then the new city of Rodos and then went to the beach (Cozino?) which is a short walk from the ship. There is a great diving platform out in the middle of the bay that you swim out to...

Archived