CANADA LINE TO OPEN AUG 18th

Putterdude

The much anticipated rapid transit line from YVR to Vancouver's downtown will open Aug 18th per attached article in the Vancouver "Sun". This will be good news for cruisers.:)

http://www.vancouversun.com/Canada+Line+debut+August/1859013/story.html

WOO HOO!!!! PD you're my hero.:D That was my birthday present today. Thanks for posting.

T'anx PD....this means that hopefully they'll have most of the kinks worked out by 20Sept. We are staying at the Sutton Place and looks like it's only a couple of blocks from one of the dwntnw stations.... can't wait to be back in your beautiful city

Granville Street is still a mess as is traffic downtown because of all the road construction. Hastings and Granville currently does not have sidewalks but if they are planning this to go ahead as posted in the paper, they will be working night and day to get sidewalks done.

Too bad Translink wasn't smart enough to have the first day of trains on a weekend instead of a regular workday when thousands of commuters are forced off of their one-bus commute and onto the sardine cans. As you may be able to tell, I'm not looking forward to this commute. If I could afford it, I would choose to pay $20 a day to park downtown instead of riding the train. I guess on the plus side, it's good they are starting them before the long weekend as that first week after is usually chaotic with all the students heading back to school and university.

So now I have a follow up question. From where the downtown station is' date=' what would be the best way to walk to the Renaissance (Marriott). When I googled it both ways (going down Hastings or Cordova) it said sidewalks may be missing. :confused:[/quote']

I would take it to the Waterfront Station and walk west on Cordova and then Hastings. I don't know of any missing sidewalks but it is a bit far for me to see from here. If some are dug up as a result of construction normally the sidewalk on the other side of the street is open or there is some accomodation for pedestrians.

I would take it to the Waterfront Station and walk west on Cordova and then Hastings. I don't know of any missing sidewalks but it is a bit far for me to see from here. If some are dug up as a result of construction normally the sidewalk on the other side of the street is open or there is some accomodation for pedestrians.

Thanks again PD. Yea, I bet it is a little bit hard for you to see that far.:D I appreciate the help. Getting closer to the time I'll be waving to you as we go by.;)

We have decided to take the Canada Line from the airport to the Blue Horizon Hotel.

How long of a walk apporx. will it be with luggage?

Where do we get off again?

Ok...now give me directions tooooo.....I am jealous!

We have decided to take the Canada Line from the airport to the Blue Horizon Hotel.

How long of a walk apporx. will it be with luggage?

Where do we get off again?

Six blocks west on Robson Street from the Vancouver City Centre station.

Should I take a quick taxi or walk from the station to the Blue Horizon if it is a nice day? We will have a piece of luggage each.

If you have wheeled luggage (or can manage the weight), I'd just walk, unless it's pouring rain.

:)

If you have wheeled luggage (or can manage the weight), I'd just walk, unless it's pouring rain.

:)

We have wheeled luggage. Still wanting to know how many minutes it will take to walk there approx. ?

One last question.....We are coming in from Toronto so where do you catch the train once you leave arrivals?

Just follow the signs to Skytrain. Lacking that, follow the signs to the parkade, the Skytrain station is located on the top level of the parkade.

Hey ScottBee looks like your informed source wasn't quite correct - regardless it is good that they are finally getting the line up and running - am gonna attempt to take in the free trip - just have to decide whether to board at Vancouver Center station or Yaletown as both are about the same distance for me.

Cheers

Dennis

So no golf today - what items does DW have on the list for you to do today that you have avoided doing because the weather was great for golfing.

And yes it is raining here in the city as well but it has eased somewhat.

Cheers

Dennis

Can you take this from the cruise terminal to YVR? We have a flight at 1:00 and hoping to get off the ship and to the airport in time. Should we take a cab? We dock Wed a.m. Will morning traffic be an issue? We were originally scheduled for the red eye at 11:00 pm but Air Canada fooled us with an itinerary change. I don't want to OK it unless I'm confident that I can get my flight on time.

Also, we're staying on Burrard (can't remember where), arriving on Aug 29th around noon. Transportation is paid for so should we take a cab?

Thanks for your input.

Melinda

Archived