Smoking in Staterooms?

Hi! I was just reading the Cruise Answer Book for Princess Cruises and I noticed that it said smoking was allowed in staterooms and on balconies. I have allergic asthma that is aggrevated by cigarette smoke. Does this mean that I may not be able to enjoy my room or my balcony? If someone has smoked in my room before me the smoke will be trapped in all the fabrics and will certainly set off my asthma, as will having smoke blown over from the next door balcony. I would certainly have booked a non-smoking room if that had been an option, but it wasn't, and now I am concerned that I will get a room in which I will not be able to breathe! Please help! Does anyone know more about the smoking policy? :confused:

Hi! I was just reading the Cruise Answer Book for Princess Cruises and I noticed that it said smoking was allowed in staterooms and on balconies. I have allergic asthma that is aggrevated by cigarette smoke. Does this mean that I may not be able to enjoy my room or my balcony? If someone has smoked in my room before me the smoke will be trapped in all the fabrics and will certainly set off my asthma, as will having smoke blown over from the next door balcony. I would certainly have booked a non-smoking room if that had been an option, but it wasn't, and now I am concerned that I will get a room in which I will not be able to breathe! Please help! Does anyone know more about the smoking policy? :confused:

Yes you can smoke in the balconies and staterooms. By the way the last 4 threads on this subject have been closed. Please do a search as there are plenty of posts about this.

Marilyn

My wife has similar problems with asthma and we have never once run into a problem. I think very few people actually smoke inside their cabins. It's a very small space and air circulation is poor. If you do have a problem have the steward change the bedding and you will be fine.

I'm sure this thread will be closed, but you can ask your cabin attendant to do what s/he can to make you more comfortable if this is the case. Extra bedding and chairs can be removed, and they may have a small air-exchange machine for in-room use. Just ask. However, please don't let this consume you the entire time before your vacation. There is absolutely nothing you can do about it beforehand, since Princess does allow smoking. If you need to deal with this, it can be handled when you board the ship.

Have a great cruise. :)

While smoking is allowed in many of the cabins on different cruise lines, I've never yet noticed any smell of smoke in any of the different cabins I've stayed in. They have some sort of cleaning -- chemical? air purifier? something! -- that removes all traces of smoke. And on the few occasions that I have heard of where someone has come into a cabin and smelled cigarette smoke from a past passenger, a call to the steward and a couple of hours leaving the cabin vacant has resolved the issue. The bedding has been changed, the curtains changed (or maybe they came back in and cleaned again?) Regardless, the odor was gone.

Unfortunately the balcony is different. They're out in the open of course. And smoke does blow in the breeze. If your neighbors smoke on their balcony...you may end up with it drifing your way.

i have been on alot of princess cruise,and have never had a room that smells like smoke,you could try royal caribbean,but they allow smoking on their balconies,or changing bedspreads if you do think it smells,hope this helps you;)

Thank you all for your feedback! The consensus seems to be that it will be well cleaned and will not be the issue, so I will plan for that and just ask the room steward if it is isn't. I just worried when I read that because although I always ask for a non-smoking room in hotels, there have been times when I was traveling with my dog and the only pet-friendly rooms were smoking rooms. The smoke that lingered from previous guests triggered my asthma and caused me to be wheezy and out-of-breath and never allowed me to be more than an arm's reach from my inhaler. I just wanted to make sure this is not what I could expect from this cruise, especially since it is also my honeymoon.

Archived