Athens - cruise excursion or on our own

LilRhody

Just wondering whether we should stick with the ship's excursion we've booked or cancel and go on our own. We clearly want to see all the main sites, but lately I've heard that the ship excursions tend to result in more tim spent sitting in a bus than actually seeing the sites. Since my husband is a photographer, getting a real chance to see/shoot is important to us.

We just came back from Athens, and used Paul from Athens Taxi. We had the best time, saw all the main sights, and did it the way we wanted. I highly recommend them. They are reliable, knowledgeable, friendly, and very affordable. We had a 9 hour private tour that included everything (except lunch)....however, we asked him to recommend a nice place for lunch, which turned out to be outstanding.

Just wondering whether we should stick with the ship's excursion we've booked or cancel and go on our own. We clearly want to see all the main sites, but lately I've heard that the ship excursions tend to result in more tim spent sitting in a bus than actually seeing the sites. Since my husband is a photographer, getting a real chance to see/shoot is important to us.

We very rarely use ship tours, so when in Athen's last October, we toured on our own. Very easy to do Athen's on your own.IMO

If Celebrity has a shuttle find out if it drops passangers off at Syntagma Square, which is in the heart of Athens. It it does, you should have no trouble getting to the more popular attractions: Acropolis, Parliment Building(Changing of the guards), Plaka, Ancient Agora, Hadrian's Arch, Temple of The Wind, etc.

I would highly suggest that you also take a taxi to the National Archeological Museum. It is exceptional. Taxi ride from the square should run around 8-10 euros.

It you look at the threads further down this page, you will see one titled "Should we do a tour of Athens or a DIY?". I have three post there # 7,12 & 16. They should provide some additional info. for you, including a map of Syntagma Square & its surroundings. Of course, there are post from other members which also provide helpful information as well.

We this should give you a few things to consider.

Have a wonderful time, and make sure you get to the Acropolis as early as possible. Hopefully, before the tour buses arrive. VBG

Anthony

If you are going to spend the bucks do it private and avoid the ship cruise at all cost. You'll get far more for less $. As another poster said if you got energy to do a little walking and use the subway Athens is very doable DIY.

We did private, our ship was scheduled to dock at 7am. It was early and we were off at 7:10am or so. Our private van was there waiting and we were off by 7:20 or so. I don't think a single cruise tour was scheduled to leave before 8:30 or so. We did Acropolis at opening ( you want to do it early in the summer to avoid the heat ). We were pretty much done and coming down when the first of the big bus cruise tours came by. So avoiding the bus tours gets you going early and faster no question.

Good luck

I'd say: If You do your homework, do it on your own... I and the hubbie went on a cruise with Celebrity in July -07, and if I'd do it again, I'd still do the trip to ancient Athens on my own. Though it's quite a walk to the Metro-station, if You could do it early in the morning, it's the best and cheapest way to get to the Syntagma Sq. There is a small tractor-pulled train up to the Acropolis, through the Plakka-area, for a small fee, that we found worth the money, if you think the walk is too long.

Have a nice time in Athens, we're going there again, for sure!

We chose to take a taxi to the Acropolis from the port. Fortunately we were there on a Sunday so the traffic and the crowds were very light. It only took us about 15-20 minutes to travel each way. I have heard that on a weekday the travel time can take an hour.

The taxis were about 20 euros for the cab. Our cruise line gave us a heads up on the going rate to the Acropolis and how the prices were normally quoted (per cab NOT per passenger). If the cabbie won't do it for 20, simply walk away and the price will go down.

Once you are at the Acropolis you can purchase a ticket that is good for many of the historical sites on and around the Acropolis. Can't recall how much that was.

If you are looking for a great place for lunch, we ate in the Plaka at a place called Scholario (sp?). It was fantastic. Family style Greek...

Archived