Driving from WDW to Ft. Lauderdale day of cruise?

V and S

From reading this board, I see that it is (traffic-wise) advisable to stay on the Florida Turnpike when going from Walt Disney World to the harbor in Ft. Lauderdale. I'm just wondering what time you all would advise we leave WDW (we are driving)? Our cruise departs at 5:00 pm on Wednesday, December 10. Thank you! :)

It is a 3-4 hour ride, so plan accordingly. I like to arrive at Port Everglades at noon, so I would leave around 8:30. Also it goes a lot faster if you use a SunPass transponder. You can purchase a Sunpass mini at Publix for $4.95, then when you register it you get the $4.95 back in credit on your acct. You save about $3 each way and get to zoom right around the turnpike toll booths. If you have a rental car, I think they may offer a Sunpass option.

It is a 3-4 hour ride, so plan accordingly. I like to arrive at Port Everglades at noon, so I would leave around 8:30. Also it goes a lot faster if you use a SunPass transponder. You can purchase a Sunpass mini at Publix for $4.95, then when you register it you get the $4.95 back in credit on your acct. You save about $3 each way and get to zoom right around the turnpike toll booths. If you have a rental car, I think they may offer a Sunpass option.

If you buy a sunpass, you have to set up an account with a minimum of $10. The mini-transponder has to be permanently mounted, so that wouldn't work with a rental. The standard transponder costs $25, and I don't know if you get that (or any part of it for that matter) back in credits. If you really want to look into this option, check out http://www.sunpass.com ... or check with your rental company about the sunpass option.

I'm doing a back to back Disney World/Cruise out of FLL in October. I'm flying to FLL the day before.

Its only a short flight, maybe see if you can book a first AM flight instead of driving?

If he already has a rental car, it would be one tank of gas and about 4 hours driving. Flying would cost much more and plan on about 2-1/2 to 3 hours for checking in luggage, flying time, and retrieving luggage.

Do NOT get on 95. The construction is bad just north of Palm Beach. Stay on the turnpike to 595 East.

Sunpass is great for the locals but a waste of money if you only use it once.

We have driven from WDW to FLL/MIA many times before a cruise. We usually try to leave WDW property by 8, you just never know about the traffic or an accident that could put a halt to it. We have never had to wait more than a couple minutes at most to pay the tolls so it was never a big deal.

Give yourself plenty of time, nice rest stops along the way. By the time you turn in your rental car and get a ride to the port it will be 1 or so and time to enjoy your cruise!

Bev

Clarification regarding my earlier post...If you are renting a car, I am NOT suggesting that you purchase a Sunpass, but ask the rental company about a Sunpass option. I don't know if you are renting a car or if you have a personal car available.

Thank you, everyone!! We will be renting a car. We are going to Disney World for a few days before our cruise, so we are flying into Orlando, going to DW, renting a car and driving to FLL, and then flying out of FLL after the cruise.

Archived