Santorini Donkeys

Dorset Cruiser

Just received a newsletter from The Donkey Sanctuary, a charity which looks into the welfare of donkeys all over the world and which we support.

Apparently a new Code of Practice has been set up with the Municipality of Fira to ensure that only fit donkeys can work. If they do not pass a health check, they are not allowed to work until the owner has proved that they are fit to do so. They are being issued with new harnessing to make their 'burdens' more comfortable. They will also receive water and shelter when they are not working and the system of loading and unloading passengers will be improved. The Donkey Sanctuary will also instruct some of the younger donkey owners in basic farriery and dentistry. Health checks will in future take place twice a year and a Welfare Officer for Santorini has been appointed who will visit on a monthly basis to monitor the well-being of the donkeys.

Although I still do not like the idea of the donkeys carrying heavy passengers up and down that hillside, at least their welfare is being looked at - so that is good news.

When we were in Santorini, we took the donkeys early in the morning -- were the only people going up the hill. Many owners were walking their donkeys down while we were going up. Every single donkey we saw was in excellent condition -- well fed, etc.

It is good to hear how much is being done for them. I would like to see a weight limit for passengers as well as working them less hours (or mandatory breaks).

Donkeys health check is not something new.. this is happen years now...

is not so hard for donkeys go up and down all these stairs... the hard is if this stop happen and then all these donkeys go for dogs food..

we have a phrase in Greece for people who work without stopping: "Acropoli's donkey"

before many years there was donkeys for up the Acropolis hill with tourists.. when make good streets and stairs, these donkeys stop make this route except one who continue (alone, without tourists) go up and down the Acropolis hill for many days until someone stop it... the donkey dies after some days because depression..

This thread reminds me of a serious question I had when in Santorini:

Are these animals really donkeys? Due to the size of most, I assumed that many of them really were mules, who are bred to carry weights up to 600 pounds.

Certainly most appeared to be the size of the mules at the farm where I work, not the donkey there, as well as the small donkeys we have seen in the Caribbean.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Pam

While we were there in May my dh commented that these appeared to be more mule than donkey....... we rode them up after much discussion about our options ..... :D We also found all the ones we saw to appear to be pretty darn healthy.

I will probably get flamed for this but.....these animals have been used for thousands of years as beasts of burden...... as long as they are fed and taken care of I do not have a problem with people riding them up the hill. It is the animals that are not fed and left to starve or beaten or otherwise mistreated that makes my stomach sick.

While we were there in May my dh commented that these appeared to be more mule than donkey....... we rode them up after much discussion about our options ..... :D We also found all the ones we saw to appear to be pretty darn healthy.

I will probably get flamed for this but.....these animals have been used for thousands of years as beasts of burden...... as long as they are fed and taken care of I do not have a problem with people riding them up the hill. It is the animals that are not fed and left to starve or beaten or otherwise mistreated that makes my stomach sick.

Yes but we used to send small boys up chimneys to sweep them - the world has changed now, thank goodness, and I don't think any donkey has been bred to carry a huge cruise passenger up and down hills.

There is a large breed of donkey, originally from France I believe, so the ones that look like mules might be of a similar breed although I believe there are also some mules working there. I suppose, if you must ride up the hill, then perhaps a mule would be the animal to pick, rather than a donkey. Whatever, they must all be looked after appropriately and the Donkey Sanctuary was checking to see that this was the case and I for one, am very pleased it was.

If the Donkey Sanctuary found it necessary to investigate these Santorini donkeys then they must have had some complaints or concerns about them, enough to set up a NEW code of practice for their welfare. They have limited means and I am sure would not waste those means if it is true that all the donkeys look and are well-cared for.

If ever any of you are in the UK with time to spare in Devon, then visit the Donkey Sanctuary in Sidmouth - it is a wonderful place which cares for these lovely creatures a lot of whom have been terribly treated.

Dorset Cruiser, thank you for your post.

We took the cable car both ways on our two visits in the past year, but I absolutely would have no hesitation to ride the animals if they indeed are mules because mules are very strong, which is why armies all over the world have used them to carry heavy loads.

• 3 weeks later...
Dorset Cruiser, thank you for your post.

We took the cable car both ways on our two visits in the past year, but I absolutely would have no hesitation to ride the animals if they indeed are mules because mules are very strong, which is why armies all over the world have used them to carry heavy loads.

I was on Santorini two weeks ago, and the "donkeys" are definitely mules. They are exactly like the mules I rode to the bottom of the Grand Canyon (just as hot or hotter and 5 times as far as Santorini) and they all looked to be in perfect health. None of them seemed to be having the least bit of difficulty carrying their loads - that's exactly what they're bred for.

Being an animal lover and a bit overweight:mad:, although I have just lost 9 kg and still dieting & exercising:D, I would like some indication of the max weight they should (not will) bear. My TA says I MUST ride on one, she has seen my size, but I do not want to overburden the poor animal be it donkey or mule.

Thanks, Misty

Being an animal lover and a bit overweight:mad:, although I have just lost 9 kg and still dieting & exercising:D, I would like some indication of the max weight they should (not will) bear. My TA says I MUST ride on one, she has seen my size, but I do not want to overburden the poor animal be it donkey or mule.

Thanks, Misty

The gentleman loading them at the bottom looks you over and actually will say to someone that they are too big. Unfortunately, it is not at all scientific and can be embarassing.

The gentleman loading them at the bottom looks you over and actually will say to someone that they are too big. Unfortunately, it is not at all scientific and can be embarassing.

Thanks Cintipam I think you have just given me the excuse I wanted. The thought of being embarassed plus walking around all day with the smell of donkey on me is probably enough to put me off. I am not a spoil sport and when my TA said she is going to check when I return if I went on the donkey I thought perhaps I should give it a go but will have my excuses ready now.

Cheers, Misty

Archived