River cruising in Spain

Hydrokitty

Dear cruise friends:

Has anyone been on a river cruise in Spain? I'm especially interested in seeing the Alhambra but can't find any information on a river cruise. I found lots on big ship cruises in Spain and Portugal but I really don't want to do that. I will do a land tour but only if I have to!:D

I await your input.

I shouldn't try to type messages when I'm tired. That navigable river in Spain is the Guadalquivir.:o

Been there, dont that!!! Thanks for the info. I actually went to eurocruises.com and saw the cruise along the Guadalquivir and it's basically western Spain and Portugal. Unfortunately, I want to see Alhambra which is in southeastern Spain....I'm thinking of just flying into Malaga and staying on the Costa de Sol for a few days and taking a side trip. Thanks for the input.:D

Hydrokitty,

You can still take an ocean cruise out of Malaga. As far as I remember, RCI is relocating the Adventure of the Seas to Malaga.

Did you check the Douro river cruises with land extension to Spain? AMA is doing this. But I don´t know where they are going exactly.

steamboats

Steamboats: Thank you, no I haven't tried either of those. I really didn't look into big ships because we really prefer small ones, I will definitely look into AMA though....cruise and land sounds good. Right now I'm kind of leaning toward renting a place in Torremolinos and taking a side trip. Anyone know what it''s like driving in spain? Can't be worse than NYC! :D

Just checked Uniworld's website. They offer (at $1899 per person) a 10-day extension in Spain on their Duoro River Cruise.

fyi they offer it but when I tried to book it for my recent cruise they wouldn't guarantee that it would take place because it needs a minimum number of people and sign ups were quite scarce. We ended up planning and doing Spain on our own and then flew to Lisbon to hook up with the cruise.:)

There is no way that you can visit Granada by river boat (you may be able to canoe upstream when the winter snows melt:D. However, Granada now has its own airport and has a rail link. Spanish railways are very good, particularly first class long distance. The Alhambra is a must, probably the most beautiful man-made structure on earth and in a perfect setting. Frankly, much of Spain is best suited to be visited by land travel.

There is no way that you can visit Granada by river boat (you may be able to canoe upstream when the winter snows melt:D. However, Granada now has its own airport and has a rail link. Spanish railways are very good, particularly first class long distance. The Alhambra is a must, probably the most beautiful man-made structure on earth and in a perfect setting. Frankly, much of Spain is best suited to be visited by land travel.

Muchas gracias! Now I don't know what to do:confused:! I know Trafalgar has a Best of Spain and we've traveled with them before but after going on a couple of river boat cruises, one tends to be really spoiled:D. Do you have a visitor pass for the railways that can be used to tour the country? I think I would be comfortable on my own doing Spain....it's been a while but I'm fairly conversant in the language and can do French and Italian as well...if I were to do it on my own, how much time would you recommend and what specifically would you classify as "not to be missed"? Besides the Alhambra of course. How far is Grenada from Torremolinos?

For Hydrokitty et al, Spain is, by European standards, a large country, more than twice the size of the UK with little more than half the population. It is the most mountainous European country after Switzerland and very, very regional. Andalusia in the south is the tourist image of Spain, but might as well be on a different planet in comparison with the Basque country in the North.

If you have a reliable tour operator I would recommend that an organised ground tour would be he way to go. We live on the east coast and have barely scratched the surface in five years - four dogs have something to do with that! However, we intend to use a local travel company for one or two coach tours once we need a break from cruising. If you want to try rail RENFE is the Spanish rail network - they have an English language selection. For rail passes you should try EuropeRail as an overseas visitor, you can get multi country passes.

I hope this helps a little.

Rgds

New Salt

Thank you New Salt and everyone else who gave me good ideas. I've been to the Basque provinces in both Spain and France and absolutely loved it. The food and the people and the scenary is just magnificent.

I know Andalusia is probably very tourist, but I'm really enthralled by this book and the descriptions of the Alhambra. I think I'm going to visit it on line and plan my trip for later when it's winter here. Even if it's not that warm on the Costa del Sol in January, it's gotta be better than eastern Long Island!!!:)

Don't think of Andalucia as primarily a tourist attraction, it has a vibrant and distinctive identity; the many festes and events are for real, if no tourist ever appeared they would still operate. In fact every Spanish region is like that. Good luck with your planning this winter, there are a number of Brits living in Spain who frequent these boards so don't hesitate to ask!

It is magnificent, but more importantly it is magical and unique. When do you intend to go? From the point of view of the gardens of the Generalife I would recommend late Spring. My wife and I stayed in the city and took a tour from our hotel; we have friends who stayed in the Albaicin, a former moorish quarter opposite the Alhambra. Crowds gather to watch the sunset on the Alhambra there. We missed that, to my lasting regret. But we will return, Inshallah!

If I can be of any help, in the sense of general advice, please let me know.

Muchas Gracias, New Salt.....we are tentatively planning to go during our winter, Jan. or Feb., and are looking to an alternative to Florida. We could easily stay 10 days and I would definitely want to see the sunset over the Alhambra! So, two questions for you, since you live in Spain:

1. How far is from Torremolinos to the Alhambra? Distance and Time please.

2. If I were to stay in a hotel near the Alhambra is it also near the beach?

Sorry for my ignorance....georgraphy is not my specialty, I'm more into language and the arts!

Thank you again.

Judy

Judy,

Granada is about 80 miles from the coast, Malaga/Torre about 90 minutes I would guess. Jan Feb is not beach time in Spain although the weather can be nice in terms of sunny and warm, but nothing like Florida I'm afraid. Remember Granada is in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada which reaches nearly 10000 feet and at that time of year the mountains are home to active ski resorts; major roads sometimes are closed by snow. If you plan only ten days 'in theatre' I would concentrate on Andalucia, Seville, Granada, Cadiz, Cordoba etc. rather than getting caught in the traditional American "..if it's Thursday this must be Brussels" syndrome and try to cover all Spain!!! By the way Torremolinos is just a large seaside resort, a while back it had a reputation as the destination of choice for UK lager louts but I believe it has cleaned up its act since.

We are coming the other way next Spring, flying to NYC then Amtrak to Miami and cruising back to Barcelona.

We are coming the other way next Spring, flying to NYC then Amtrak to Miami and cruising back to Barcelona.

Spring should be lovely in Miami. If time permits and you've never been there, rent a car and drive to Key West. You'll have to stay over-night at least two nights because it's about a 5 hour drive, but a beautiful drive through the keys with plenty of lovely places to stop for a drink or meal. My favorites are Bahia Honda, truly one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and of course, Key West itself with the home of Ernest Hemingway and the total "whatever" attitude of the natives! If you've never been to Fla., let me know and I'd be happy to assist you any way I can. Of course, my home is NY and you'll just be visiting our lovely airport I guess:D Thanks for all the info....I will really be able to use this when planning my trip. Judy

Archived