Good and bad room locations, and other info.

We are planning a honeymoon cruise on the Fascination out of JAX, to Half Moon Cay, and Nassau, next may. I have heard that fore and aft rooms could be a bad ride, also wondered about decks below or above public areas. We want the best rate, but also want to make sure we are comfortable. I'm a light sleeper, but not prone to motion sickness. If anyone has any info I'd love to hear it.

Any other info on this ship or cruise would be great.

Unless you are getting a suite, there are no balcony cabins.

The best buy are the old 5As which are now inside cabins. They have port holes so you can see out for a inside price. If you are trying to get a good buy, find out if any of the port hole cabins are still available?

The one area Id avoid is under the pool. The rest I personally can deal with. The pool area is wooden and they scrape the lounge chairs across it about 3 or 4 am to wash it down....

Thanks for your info, this would be a first for both of us, and we want to make sure we get the best experiance for the money. Less paid for the room, more for drinking or spending.

We are looking at inside cabins. The porthole's are fore and aft cabins right? Never any problems with the movement? What is under the lowest passenger deck? I was afraid on a low deck you might get engine noise, or their might be storage underneath, where staff would be moving things. I was speaking with a travel agent and she said I may be right about a bumpy ride on the fore and aft cabins, but I am sure she wants to sell any upgrades she can.

The staff sleeps on the deck below riveria. Actually port holes are only foreward, they are marked on the deck plans with a diamond thingee. They are 4s, and where you see the bulkhead curve forward so they cant put in a regular window so they have port holes and selling now at a inside price.

You will see the port holes near the front of the first 3 or 4 decks, I think 4 bottom pax decks? Each deck up will cost more, but still less than a OV price... the port holes arent quite as good as a window, they are smaller and more tubelike thru the hull, but since on that ship the OVs are the same size s.f. as a inside, why pay the OV price just for a window that still isnt that large.

We are going on our 4th cruise next month, and have always had cabins on Riviera Deck. It's the lowest passenger deck, much less "motion of the ocean" and these rooms are less expensive. We usually spring for an oceanview, but the interiors are fine too--how much time will you actually be in your room anyway? I have never experienced any extra noise on Riviera, and it's really convenient for port days too--you don't have to wait for the elevators!

With both the forward and aft you will be able to feel more of the movement of the ship, but more in the forward area. If you are a light sleeper I would try to stay away from being above or below a public area. I have had friend stay in a aft balcony and loved it they said there were no problems at all. They were below the aft pool of the Lido deck. I have also had friends stay forward above the main lounge. They were able to hear the base during the shows in their cabin. My wife and I always get cabins right around the main Atrium elevators. A lot of people would probably say you hear noise in this area, but we stay back about 4 or 5 cabins and don't have any problems. Every person is different, so go with what you think you will be comfortable with and just have a great time. I hope you have as much fun on your honeymoon cruise as we did. Best of luck to you both.

We always pick the lowest passenger deck, outside cabin, in the middle of the ship. There is less noise from the ship's venues, fewer people in the area of your cabin, less expensive, and less motion. This has always worked well for us.

We are going on our 4th cruise next month, and have always had cabins on Riviera Deck. It's the lowest passenger deck, much less "motion of the ocean" and these rooms are less expensive. We usually spring for an oceanview, but the interiors are fine too--how much time will you actually be in your room anyway? I have never experienced any extra noise on Riviera, and it's really convenient for port days too--you don't have to wait for the elevators!

It's the OPs honeymoon...if it's like most people's honeymoons, they will be spending a good deal of time in the room........

If you go for the port hole cabin that Firefly described choose the Starboard side as I have read that the anchor drops from the port side and is usually pretty loud when docking early in the morning.

Hope you have a GREAT cruise:D

Upper deck port hole room and we loved it last year. Very, very quiet up there, not a lot of traffic in the hallway. It's a bit of a hike to the stairs or elevators, but that helps with all the food and drink:) Upper deck has cabins both above and below, and we were on port side but the anchor didn't bother us since we are early risers and were out of the cabin by the time the anchor was dropped. We had plenty of room and would not pay the difference for a regular OV room, the port holes were just fine.

Thanks for all the info, the lower cabins aren't sounding so bad now, especially if there are just crew cabins under them.

Anyone ever been able to hear engine noise?

We had a cabin on the Riveria deck on Carnival Paradise, sister ship to Fascination, and never heard any noise or felt any motion. We were mid-ship. The inside rooms are so dark, it makes for great mid-day naps on those sea days! Enjoy your cruise.

We've been on the bottom deck on the Ecstasy, both very front and a few from the rear - ocean view (paid for inside guar). Front (portholes) were bigger cabins and we 'felt' the ship slapping the water when we were cruising. Rear cabin was noisy at docking (side thrusters someone said) and I hate the vibration I feel at the rear of the ship. Next time we cruise on the cheap, I'm going to try to get one of the front port holes. Good deal for the price!

• 2 weeks later...
The person at the travle agency was trying to quote me a higher price on the port hole cabins. Said no one told them that they reclassified them. Anone know how long they have been selling as Oceanviews?

Im guessing you mean the opposite?? How long they have been NOT selling as 5As?

Id say at least 5 months, but I didnt write down the date, earlier this year.

I have 4As booked that are port holes, so I am sure you can book them at inside rates. I booked them on Ecstasy which is also fantasy class. There are no 5As left on any ship, they were all reclassified. Why use a TA, when you can book direct?

We have found that the best cabins for us are in the middle of the ship, between two cabin decks. We have had cabins near the bow, beside the elevators and at the rear of the ship.

Near the bow is the LAST place to choose a cabin! We had the 2nd cabin from the front once and DID hear the anchor drop, as well as the winches pulling the bowlines in, very early in the morning! Loud enough to wake the dead! And you really can feel the bow of the ship breaking the waves!

The cabin we had at the rear of the ship allowed us to feel the vibrations of the engine...all night long! Just a constantly rumble that never stops.

As for the elevators, you won't hear them. But you will hear the kids playing with the buttons, the people congregating at the elevators and people trampling up/down the stairs nearby.

So we ALWAYS choose an inside cabin on a deck that is between two other passenger decks. It has proven to be a wise choice for us! We also carry a portable sound machine with us that blocks out the noise from outside our door.

:cool:Bill

We have been under the Aft pool on Triumph, loved the location, never heard a scraping sound at all.

WE were also under the aft pool on Miracle.

Again we never heard a sound but my sister who was jsut two cabins down from me heard the scraping of the chairs.

As for the motion, we had no problems.

I kind of enjoy the sway as I lay in bed anyway.

Last March we were on the Valor, front of the ship, right over the lido deck.

This was a great area for us.

Quiet and not much movement except for one night when the dresser drawers kept slamming open and closed.

The sea was really rough.

Didn't really bother us at all.

Other people on the ship felt it too, not only in the front.

My brother and son were the very front , same deck, they loved it.

So far we have been high up, both aft and forward and loved both locations.

Have yet to be low and center.

Midship ,especially on the smaller ships !

Lets look at it as rock and roll ;).

If the front "Forward" is up then the back "AFT" is down.

Visa versa !

The middle is Just right!

Enjoy your cruise !

Sometimes I read the op first post and I find myself in all sorts of questionable answers ???

I have had cabins pretty far forward on Holiday and Fantasy class ships. You hear engine noise as the ship slows, such as coming into port. Since you come into port early in the AM, it can hinder sleeping in. I would stay away from amy inside cabin forward of the forward elevators. Try for a 4A or 4B midship or aft. EM

Thanks for all the info, the lower cabins aren't sounding so bad now, especially if there are just crew cabins under them.

Anyone ever been able to hear engine noise?

I would guess that rhythmic engine noise would be soothing and conducive to restful sleep. Anyone know which cabins on the Fantasy class ships would be exposed to it?

I would guess that rhythmic engine noise would be soothing and conducive to restful sleep. Anyone know which cabins on the Fantasy class ships would be exposed to it?

those aft cabins, especially the lower ones. On Main deck on the Conquest our floor actually vibrated pretty much all the time, but we just tuned it out.

• 4 months later...

Archived