Mariner of the Seas - Formal nights (Aug Mexican Riveria

PIH

RC states cocktail dresses for formal nights......do people still wear long gowns or is it strictly cocktail dresses which I assume would refer to knee length? ( on our last MR cruise, which was only 5 days the women mostly wore long gowns)

Also, for the guys, suits or a tux?

(Just wondering what most people wear so we know what to pack)

thanks all!

You will see a big variety of dress on Mariner from long gowns to cocktail dresses to nice pants outfits for women and suits and tuxes for men. Go with what you feel comfortable in and you will be fine.

I believe they request that you do not wear shorts to the dining room for dinner on any night besides the evening of sailing . But as has been stated a million times on the boards, many people do wear shorts. In regard to wearing a tux or suit, I have noticed over the years the tuxes are fewer and fewer. I still like to bring mine but I would say the majority of me do not wear the tux. A nice suit is fine. Of course you can always wear a kilt.

Depends on how old your son is - if he's tween or less, not much of an issue. If a teen or young adult, it's more appropriate to wear long pants. Something to consider - the dining room is actually fairly cool so he might get cold in shorts anyway. A decent pair of jeans would be better than shorts. It is written policy not to wear shorts for dinner but as so many of us know, it's not the most enforced thing going. He could get in without a problem or he could be turned away - there's really no way of knowing.

I'm glad I saw this thread. My husband, our 17 year old son and myself will be on the Mariner cruise at the end of August. We've been vacationing the last 2 weeks of August for over a decade now.

On our land vacations to Mexico or Hawaii for our dress up dinners at the Resort's fine dining rooms, I usually pack pressed Tommy Bahama shirts (usually solid color, not the flashy one's) and T.B. shorts with nice loafers for my husband. He always looks very nice and totally appropriate. I'm not suggesting that he's wearing wife beater t-shirts and cut offs:) He just looks handsome in resort casual wear, and he's comfortable.

On both the Formal evenings, I've made reservations at Chops and then Portofino's. He asked if I thought it was still alright for him to wear his usual 'dress' clothes. Personally, I think he looks great. But, I thought I'd ask here on the board? What do you think?

Thanks so much,

:-) Bobbi in So Cal

Archived