Venice gondola ride

rhsjr

What is the best time of day to take a somwhat romantic:D/site seeing gondola ride in Venice? (Mid September) morning, mid day, afternoon, early evening, night??????

For the romance, early evening of course :D

Well, we did ours at night. It was a Princess tour. It was expensive and I think we could have gotten it cheaper on our own. They had the guy doing a serenade on 1 gondola and 2 or 3 others following it. Since it was dark everything was lit up. We would cruise by water taxi docks at the hotels and people would come out and wave at us. It was very romantic. There were 6 people on our gondola and we had the back seat which faced foward. It was great.

FYI, gondola fees are non-negotiable. (I know that as soon as I say that, someone will pipe up and say they've done it, but it's not supposed to be done.) The rates are set by the gondola "drivers" (gondoliers?) union and the city and are posted on this web site: http://www.gondolavenezia.it/history_tariffe.asp?Pag=43

Nighttime rides are more expensive than daytime. Current rates for daytime rides (8 AM - 7 PM) are 80 Euro for 40 minutes, with each additional 20 minutes 40 Euro. Nighttime rides (7 PM - 8 AM) are 100 Euro for 40 minutes, 50 Euro for each additional 20 minutes. The fee is the same regardless of the number of passengers (gondolas can carry up to six passengers).

Archived