Rough Seas?

robinsongirl

We are thinking about a 9 day cruise from Bayonne on RCCL Explorer next summer that includes 2 days in Bermuda and leaves from New Jersey. But are nervous about the possibility of rough seas in the Atlantic. We have heard from a nujber of people that the Atlantic can be very rough. Does anyone know how often rough seas are encounted? WE were thinking either June or July, is there a time that would be better than another. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This would be our second cruise so it is still a new experience to us.

I had the same curiosity when I first started cruising. You need to be prepared for the worst, but odds have it that you won't experience it. But, if you cruise alot, you will see it all. From eight cruises to Bermuda (that is 16 up-and-backs) I have seen "uncomfortable" seas three times. There have been three passages that have been completely calm and the rest in between.

Thanks to you all for your input. I have a friend who get extremely sea sick on her way back from Bermuda to New York, I was wondering if the rough seas was a fluke or more common. But it sounds like it may be best for us to avoid a cruise from New York to bermuda until we bexome more seasoned cruisers.

Thanks to you all for your input. I have a friend who get extremely sea sick on her way back from Bermuda to New York, I was wondering if the rough seas was a fluke or more common. But it sounds like it may be best for us to avoid a cruise from New York to bermuda until we bexome more seasoned cruisers.

Robinsongirl, there can be rough seas anywhere - you shouldn't miss Bermuda because of that! It's like never driving anywhere because because there might be traffic :eek:. If you look through the forums, you'll see that Bermuda is unlike anyplace in the Carribean. I'm prone to seasickness, but I wouldn't miss those gorgeous sea days or our times in Bermuda for anything. Regardless of your destination, if you're worried about seasickness, you should always bring an OTC remedy (I happen to like Meclizine, works great). Don't miss Bermuda!

Rough, of course, is a relative thing. Having made the Bermuda trip many times from NYC in August we encountered stormy weather which bounced us around quite a bit. Most of these sailings however were on ships much smaller (we did the old Pacific Princess--about 20,000 tons- several times) than those that make the run today. By sticking to June to mid July you are less likely to encounter hurricane issues and by sailing the Explorer (at 138,000 tons) you are on a larger ship where your sense of movement will be minimized. Finally, look into the usual remedies for mal de mer (including discussing scopolomine with your Dr.) and you will be fine. Bermuda is not to be missed.

We are thinking about a 9 day cruise from Bayonne on RCCL Explorer next summer that includes 2 days in Bermuda and leaves from New Jersey. But are nervous about the possibility of rough seas in the Atlantic. We have heard from a nujber of people that the Atlantic can be very rough. Does anyone know how often rough seas are encounted? WE were thinking either June or July, is there a time that would be better than another. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This would be our second cruise so it is still a new experience to us.

Of course, weather is hard to predict, but my experience has been that the seas were calmer to Bermuda earlier on in the summer. Please do go.... Bermuda is just so beautiful, some place that should not be missed. You will be happy you went. It is my favorite island.

We have done this trip (R/T Bermuda from NYC) several times and did not have problems and it was in both June and July.

With that said the seas are never precisely the same from cruise to cruise. So, as one poster said we always prepare for the worst. And again you can have rough seas from Florida to the Caribbean or almost anywhere.

So, we try to get a cabin in the middle of the deck. If possible a lower deck. And we bring some items with us just in case. Primarily we take Bonine and the key is to take it before you feel sick. You can also take ginger and a variey of other items.

I think cruising to Bermuda is wonderful.

Keith

i will be going to bermuda from N.J. in late september.......I hope it will be calm:)

We have done this trip (R/T Bermuda from NYC) several times and did not have problems and it was in both June and July.

With that said the seas are never precisely the same from cruise to cruise. So, as one poster said we always prepare for the worst. And again you can have rough seas from Florida to the Caribbean or almost anywhere.

So, we try to get a cabin in the middle of the deck. If possible a lower deck. And we bring some items with us just in case. Primarily we take Bonine and the key is to take it before you feel sick. You can also take ginger and a variey of other items.

I think cruising to Bermuda is wonderful.

Keith

So we are leaving Baltimore next Sunday, Aug. 23 and today it looks like we are sailing directly into Hurricane Bill. How rough can the seas get? If there is strong wind do you think we'll still go through the cut into St. George (we are on NCL Majesty), or will we be routed to a different dock in Bermuda, or to a completely different destination?

Of course, no one knows if Bill will continue on this course, gain momentum or what NCL would do in response. I'm just looking for some educated guesses based on what anyone's experience might be.

Thanks!

So we are leaving Baltimore next Sunday, Aug. 23 and today it looks like we are sailing directly into Hurricane Bill. How rough can the seas get? If there is strong wind do you think we'll still go through the cut into St. George (we are on NCL Majesty), or will we be routed to a different dock in Bermuda, or to a completely different destination?

Of course, no one knows if Bill will continue on this course, gain momentum or what NCL would do in response. I'm just looking for some educated guesses based on what anyone's experience might be.

Thanks!

You will not sail "directly" into a hurricane. The Captain will not permit this. There would be an itinerary change in such an event with the ship either remaining at sea and steering around the storm (in which case you lose a port day) or taking an entirely different trip than the one you booked.

You will not sail "directly" into a hurricane. The Captain will not permit this. There would be an itinerary change in such an event with the ship either remaining at sea and steering around the storm (in which case you lose a port day) or taking an entirely different trip than the one you booked.

Interesting, since it is a 5-day cruise with only one port stop, a night and morning in Bermuda. Of course, you are right, they will avoid a major hurricane. Thanks for the voice of reason in the midst of my momentary shock of seeing "Bill" heading straight for my anticipated cruise experience.

Hey, there!

Great choice to sail from the NJ/NY ports to Bermuda. In 2007 I was part of a group of 8 adults from RI and Ma who booked a cruise on the NCL Crown and we had a great cruise the week of July 4th. One night returning home we had slightly bumpy seas. We were on the lowest deck with an outside cabin so we could hear and slightly feel the waves. So choose you cabin in the middle of the boat would be my advise. You will love Bermuda!

I loved the experience of sailing out of the NY area, we had fabulous views of the Statue of Liberty , Ellis Island and the city skyline. The other passengers were friendly and as excited as we were to see such historic landmarks from such a unique vantage point. During the sail away party, the music included patriotic songs and being the Mom of a soldier, I felt myself tearing up . It was so beautiful. best wishes to you and your family. Karen ( RI_Lady)

Hey, there!

Great choice to sail from the NJ/NY ports to Bermuda. In 2007 I was part of a group of 8 adults from RI and Ma who booked a cruise on the NCL Crown and we had a great cruise the week of July 4th. One night returning home we had slightly bumpy seas. We were on the lowest deck with an outside cabin so we could hear and slightly feel the waves. So choose you cabin in the middle of the boat would be my advise. You will love Bermuda!

I loved the experience of sailing out of the NY area, we had fabulous views of the Statue of Liberty , Ellis Island and the city skyline. The other passengers were friendly and as excited as we were to see such historic landmarks from such a unique vantage point. During the sail away party, the music included patriotic songs and being the Mom of a soldier, I felt myself tearing up . It was so beautiful. best wishes to you and your family. Karen ( RI_Lady)

We've booked Celebrity Summit to Bermuda out of NJ April 25, 2010. My husband was just mentioning today that he expects to get seasick! We just returned from Alaska and it's the only cruise he's ever been on where he did not get sick. We were mid-ship, deck 8. Somebody apparently convinced him that the Atlantic is ALWAYS rough. I will print out all of the positive comments for him. He needs the reinforcement.

We sailed ncl Spirit Boston to Bermuda on May 15 and the ocean was smooth sailing down and back. We have sailed from New York to the Carribean three times and I remember one of those was pretty rough coming back. Take the gamble and go to Bermuda. We hope to go again next May.

Hey, there!

Thanks karen for posting, and thanks to your son for serving. Your right NY is a great place to sail from. See you at sea. :cool:

Archived