Carnival Sales Pitch instead of evening show!!

rpmljm

Hi

I am a first time Carnival cruiser. We just got back from Victory cruise yesterday. I was disappointed the first night of our cruise to see that we would not see a show but instead we were asked to sit in the theater and hear a long detailed sales pitch for shore excursions and port shopping. Is this something that Carnival does on every cruise or was this just a "Victory" thing?

Hi

I am a first time Carnival cruiser. We just got back from Victory cruise yesterday. I was disappointed the first night of our cruise to see that we would not see a show but instead we were asked to sit in the theater and hear a long detailed sales pitch for shore excursions and port shopping. Is this something that Carnival does on every cruise or was this just a "Victory" thing?

So on your other cruises, they didn't try to sell you anything? Did Carnival say your being there was mandatory? That really sucks for you...

I think this is just a "Victory Thing" because they do not have Sea Days!

Most all other cruises have a sea day on day 1 or 2.

(If they have a port on day 1, they have the first port pre-recorded on TV and do the port talk Day 2...everyone else has the talks on the first day.)

Was this the "Welcome Aboard Show"? I haven't attened in a while so I'm not sure. The only presentations I remember were the ones regarding the Ports of Call. I knew before I went they were going to be discussing shopping, etc. If this was the Welcome Aboard Show, that is not cool but it's the economic environment we're in

Hi

If it's the same thing I'm thinking of, I believe it is on every ship, just not everyone goes. I watched it on our 2nd cruise for the first time and realized they were going over the ports of call and the different excursions there are to do, what shops to go to, etc. I can't remember what it was called though, but like I said, I believe it's on every ship, I just choose not to go.

Usually the first evening is the welcome aboard show. Then on the next day, usually in the morning they have a port talk. That is always recorded and played over and over on the tv.

That's what I was talking about but couldn't think of the name....:rolleyes:

Usually the first evening is the welcome aboard show. Then on the next day, usually in the morning they have a port talk. That is always recorded and played over and over on the tv.

Correct, except Victory's Iternerary doesn't allow them to have the port talk that morning, since they are "In Port" that morning, and every morning until they return.

and they are nothing but a sales pitch to get you to go to certain stores (e.g. Diamonds International) who will pay Carnival a significant percentage of their sales. A complete waste of time. All the cruise lines do it and I wouldn't waste 5 minutes of my precious vacation time going to one.

I think this is just a "Victory Thing" because they do not have Sea Days!

Most all other cruises have a sea day on day 1 or 2.

(If they have a port on day 1, they have the first port pre-recorded on TV and do the port talk Day 2...everyone else has the talks on the first day.)

You know I didn't think of that, but it does make perfect since if you stop and think about it.

Unless you were wearing life vests during the presentation you didn't need to be there.

When I cruise, I expect an entertainment show every night in the theater, not a long cruiseline sales pitch. Silly me! We enjoyed the cruise very much and will cruise Carnival again. I was merely surprised that there was no "show" and felt that I was entitled to my opinion and would let others know. My mistake I guess.:rolleyes: So sorry...won't happen again.

When I cruise, I expect an entertainment show every night in the theater, not a long cruiseline sales pitch. Silly me! We enjoyed the cruise very much and will cruise Carnival again. I was merely surprised that there was no "show" and felt that I was entitled to my opinion and would let others know. My mistake I guess.:rolleyes: So sorry...won't happen again.

It wasn't meant as a slight, sorry I haven't had a coffee yet.

Ugh, I just erased my whole post!

I missed the first night while watching the ship sail away from San Juan without me last year, and I assumed I missed the welcome aboard show. Glad to hear I did not!

I thought there might be a few reasons for scrapping the show:

Two ports of embarkation, San Juan and Barbados, so many people would be going to a welcome show on the 3rd or 4th night of their cruise.

Late departure (10pm) means many people are on deck for sailaway or having a dinner at a different time than normal and would miss the show anyway.

But I would have gone expecting the welcome aboard show, and been disappointed by a shore talk instead. I do enjoy the shore talks when I'm unsure what to do everywhere, but not if I was expecting "Uptight.... Outta Sight!"

This is usually the case, but since someone said the Victory does not have a sea day the next day....Carnival probably has to combine the two on the first night.

Makes sense...

So there was no show at all the first night? The port and shopping talk happens on every cruise, and they always state that they recommend at least one member of your party attend (which is a bunch of hooey) but I am surprised there was no show before or after the talk.

So there was no show at all the first night? The port and shopping talk happens on every cruise, and they always state that they recommend at least one member of your party attend (which is a bunch of hooey) but I am surprised there was no show before or after the talk.

No...no show at all the first night. Another thing people can miss is the debarkation talk they have on the night before arrival back in San Juan. They make it seem like it is very improtant to attend...as if you will miss something very important if you don't. Everything you need to know is in writing in your stateroom on a piece of paper left by your stateroom attendant. If you can read, there is no reason you have to go to the talk. The main reason for the "debarkation talk" is obvious...to tell you HOW they want you to fill out your opinion cards (kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion).

Archived