Help! Want to book Oceania but having real trouble!

Timtammi

Dear Oceania Cruisers

I'm hoping you can help me. I'm a newcomer to the Oceania boards but have been a member of CruiseCritic for quite a while and post on the Cunard boards as I'm a fairly regular Cunard cruiser.

I'm planning a special graduation gift for my daughter who is completing high school this year and she has chosen that she wants to go on one of the 2010 Oceania Cruises - Pearls of the Riviera in April - Barcelona to Rome.

I phoned Oceania last night only to be told because I am in Australia I cannot book direct with the cruise line. I was directed to the www.oceaniacruises.com.au website. The Australian phone number listed on the site does not work. I've tried 2 Australian travel agents for quotes and am finding that the price differential is ridiculous! I have been quoted more than 50% more to book through an Australian travel agent than a US agent (even taking into account exchange rates etc).

My problem is I am leery of booking through a US agent again as I got caught out by the agent that is subject of all the discussions on the HAL and Cunard boards and suffered no end of trouble because of it. I'm also a bit concerned my booking might be rejected if the cruiseline knows I'm not a US resident.

On the other hand I REALLY resent having to pay so much more just because I live here. I deal in international business and I understand about different pricing/promotions for different areas but the fact is that this is the exact same product we are talking about, not something being delivered somewhere else with different taxes, warranties etc. Its not even being delivered in America! Its a European cruise.

I know we cant talk about specific agents but I would appreciate suggestions, experiences from other Oceania cruisers from outside the US and private msgs from anyone that that wants to give me some advice.

Email address timmih at region4 dot com dot au

Kind Regards

Timtammi

I should add that I have tried to access the travel agents list section of the Oceania website as if I do go with a US agent I would prefer to deal with someone they list as a preferred partner but this page either doesnt work or its blocked because I'm from overseas.

Regards

I should add that I have tried to access the travel agents list section of the Oceania website as if I do go with a US agent I would prefer to deal with someone they list as a preferred partner but this page either doesnt work or its blocked because I'm from overseas.

Regards

I think it has been discussed before that US agents cannot book clients outside of North America for Oceania

Maybe some of the Aussie on CC will contact you

Good luck

Lyn

Thank you so much to those who took the time to contact me about this. I really appreciate your advice and am now looking into the different options.

I look forward to hearing from you Jennie if you get the time to email, all advice is welcomed!

I had just about given up on this cruise, but now have renewed hope that it can be done.

Thanks again.

Timtammi

Timtammi,

I love tim tams so presume you have taken your name from those lovely biscuits.

Jennie

OH Jennie you had to mention those biscuits!!! :eek:

we just found them here recently .... I am hooked:D

Lyn

Each cruise line must set up to do business in each country. The contracts to do business in the different countries gets involved with "trade and other laws". Many countries will add taxes to the cost of the cruise just like the taxes added to a hotel room cost in the country. If a country as an 18% VAT tax, then the VAT may be applied to the cruise booking.

I hear of one USA agent who booked a group of 100 from a South American country. The cruise line cancelled the group. The Travel Agent was out of all the money they had spent on the group.

I suspect you are being blocked from the USA links.

MSEm

Timtammi,

I love tim tams so presume you have taken your name from those lovely biscuits.

I sent an email to you yesterday at 3.49pm our time. Do you receive it or would you like me to resend it.

Jennie

Hi Jennie

I didn't get your email perhaps my spam filter ate it. Sorry!

And yes my screen name comes from those yummy chocky biccies :)

Regards

Timtammi

Timtammi,

Contact me on jennielynton at yahoo dot com dot au and I will send the email again. I have already sent it twice, the second time asking for a receipt but as that didn't come, I began to think that the emails have gone into cyber space.

Jennie

Archived