The best way to buy Euro

jmdpsca

We are off to Europe for 4 weeks as of 31 August...

We did not by euro when down. today...142...

any ones guess where to buy...

We are in Athens Sept 1, we have many days in many ports which I will post as well in Tuscany as we are there for a month...

We are on the Oceania Insignia please look at our cruise for Sept 4 from Athens to Rome..

Thanks for the help...Jan

Just get what you need as you travel by using your ATM card in the ubiquitous machines you will find everywhere in Europe. Be sure you know your four-digit PIN in numbers, not letters, because many European ATM's only use numbers, no letters. Notify your local bank regarding your travel dates, temporarily raise the amount you can withdraw each day if your limit is too low, be sure that you and your spouse each have a card if one gets damaged, keep most in your safe in your cabin, and put what you need for the day in your money belt or bra stash.

Many European ATM's have 250 or 300 Euro limits per transaction, so when we started in Athens at the airport, we each got some, and then we replenished our supplies as needed in Valletta, Sorrento and Rome. Pickpockets are plentiful, especially on the Athens metro, so money belts are truly best for a care-free vacation. There also are many ATM machines all over the towns and cities in Tuscany. Other than in airports upon arrival, we try to use ATM machines in front of banks, in case there are any problems, avoiding freestanding ones or those in stores, etc.

Easy, all the machines have an English option and provide a receipt. Our local bank waives any fee, and for large purchases, we use our Capitol One no-fee MasterCard.

Any leftover Euros that I cannot spend in the airport on the way home are saved until the next trip to Europe.

We have traveled this way for the past ten years, and have never encountered any problems.

Enjoy!

Not all ATM's in Europe have an English option. We have encountered a few in Rome that do not.

If you want some Euros to bring with you beforehand you may want to check out Wells Fargo on line which has an ordering option as does AAA (triple A).

Enjoy.

we always get a few hundred before we leave home so that we are not stuck at the airport. Always get them from Amex on our Delta Amex card, that way we get the FF miles in addition to a decent rate. Once went to an ATM in Stockholm, all Swedish and could not make heads or tails of what to do and was panicked that the machine would keep my card! Actually had to enlist the help of a passerby.

----------

Helen

We are leaving for a Baltic cruise on Oceania Aug 21st. After assessing the options (many of which are noted here and elsewhere on the strings), we elected to convert euros using Wells Fargo Bank near our home. They are our home bank; their rate is a little higher than the listed rate on conversion sites, but don't charge any fees. Avoids paying the 3% ATM fees almost everyone charges, etc. and also helps ease into the vacation without having to scurry to an ATM or ship's purser as a priority.

It did require us to make a SWAG re how much we wanted to take with us; with the rough estimate, we are comfortable taking Euros, some dollars and our credit/debit cards. As noted, most places take one of these three forms of payment, and out experience has been almost everyone who is selling something to tourists in major towns will work to meet your needs (they want your dough, whatever you have is often what they want, etc.).

Of course, there are always exceptions, but most of us are astute enough to be flexible and adapt in any case.

Bob H

I stupidly forgot the fee for each ATM transaction -- only $2, but as I repeatedly took out smaller amounts because I didn't have my moneybelt in port, it did add up. Next trip I will take out larger amounts. My bank at home charges as much of a fee as through the ATM and then I don't have to worry about being on a plane with a large amount of cash.

We always get our money for other countries at an American Express Travel office. You will need an American Express card and cash in the amount you want to convert. We have never paid more than a $4 fee.

I have a different spin on this Euro topic which probably can best be answered by a fellow Canadian - but I thought I'd try anyway.

We have a large amount of GBPs (a longer story that I want to get into); we need Euros for our upcoming cruise. Is it possible to exchange GBPs directly to Euros to avoid extra bank charges???? If we trade GBPs to Cdn $ there will be a fee & then Cdn $ to Euros another fee. Any ideas ??????

Delta Queen

Archived