What not to miss on a QM2 TA

ladyredhat

We have our first cruise scheduled for next month sailing back from the Big Apple - so exciting!!!! what must we not miss in our 6 days on board. We are in a balcony cabin so will be Britannia diners. What activities are unmissable, but also how can I find out what the programme is on board before we depart, for lectures etc. Is it possible to book things in advance. I am miffed that we loose an hour a day sailing back - what should I make sure we cram in! Advice appreciated

What a fab crossing to do...the only way to cross most will say!!, on a TA there is so much to do that you will be excited by everything, I love afternoon tea in the Queens Room, the Commodore Club is our most favourite place on the ship especially for pre/post dinner drinks. The Britannia is a great room to eat in, I love walking up/down the magnificant stairs and you are made to feel so special.

Have lunch at the Golden Lion if you can as it does a great pub lunch, there is so much to see and do...Canyon ranch is great to book in for a treatment or 2 to relax if you aren't already.

The planetarium is a good place to go and see a film.....so much is good.

We are on the Nov 11th crossing westbound and then on into the carribean and the one thing I have rpomised myself to do this time is have a glass of champagne in the Jacques Cliqout lounge....poor spelling sorry. You will have such a wonderful time and your stateroom will be amazing!!!

Enjoy......

We have our first cruise scheduled for next month sailing back from the Big Apple - so exciting!!!! what must we not miss in our 6 days on board. We are in a balcony cabin so will be Britannia diners. What activities are unmissable, but also how can I find out what the programme is on board before we depart, for lectures etc. Is it possible to book things in advance. I am miffed that we loose an hour a day sailing back - what should I make sure we cram in! Advice appreciated

Hi,

I notice your from Dorset, i live in Wimborne.

There are lots of things not to miss, but i would highly recommend the Planetarium (the only one at sea) Make sure you get tickets for this.

They are free but very popular. They are avaliable in Connextions.

Keep an eye on the Daily Programme.

Gavin.

Edited by GAV BOY

I would add the Virtual Bridge Tour, followed by a visit to the Bridge Viewing Gallery. Also a ride or two up the external scenic lift, which is not too easy to find but wonderful on a rough day especially!

I think the things you should really make time to see/do are:

-- the shows (they are great)

-- lectures (ditto)

-- spa (treat yourself to a massage)

-- Todd English (either lunch or dinner).

That is proof everyone "must do" are different.

Shows - Rock @ The Opera is a must for me but I prefered going to the Queens Room than watching the other shows they had.

Lectures - I was looking forward to them but got too busy, I simply watched the replay on the TV while getting ready

Spa - Very nice, I agree but I would not rank it has a must do for ME

Todd English - was planning to go but the food in Britannia was so good and my tablemates were so nice that I didn't go (even on a B2B).

MY must do are:

- Bridge lessons, I'm SO glad I learned this great game

- Planetarium films

- Watching the sea go by from a lounger on the promenade deck

- Art Auctions (free bubbly, learn a bit about art, thrilling to bid and buy a piece you like)

Look at the daily programme and try new things, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

What a fab crossing to do...the only way to cross most will say!!, on a TA there is so much to do that you will be excited by everything, I love afternoon tea in the Queens Room, the Commodore Club is our most favourite place on the ship especially for pre/post dinner drinks. The Britannia is a great room to eat in, I love walking up/down the magnificant stairs and you are made to feel so special.

Have lunch at the Golden Lion if you can as it does a great pub lunch, there is so much to see and do...Canyon ranch is great to book in for a treatment or 2 to relax if you aren't already.

The planetarium is a good place to go and see a film.....so much is good.

We are on the Nov 11th crossing westbound and then on into the carribean and the one thing I have rpomised myself to do this time is have a glass of champagne in the Jacques Cliqout lounge....poor spelling sorry. You will have such a wonderful time and your stateroom will be amazing!!!

Enjoy......

HI oh you make it sound exciting I cannot wait I'm also booked on the Westbound TA departing 11th November with my wife

It will be our first expereince with Cunard and of course QM2 always wanted to arrive in NY by ship

This will be our 9th cruise expereince and I have read much about Cunard and heard many cunarders be negeative about other cruise companies so I board with very very high expectations :rolleyes:

Soletread

Thanks everyone for your suggestions all of which we will be following up - it is going to be a hugely busy 6 days! Can't wait to go and will post feedback and a review on our return - any other suggestions for activities would still be gratefully received

This will be our 9th cruise expereince and I have read much about Cunard and heard many cunarders be negeative about other cruise companies so I board with very very high expectations :rolleyes:

Soletread

Sailing Cunard is a lovely experience and if you go in with reasonable expectations, you should enjoy it quite a lot. May I suggest, however, you consider removing at least 50% of your "very"s as you are possibly setting yourself up for disappointment, in my opinion. The brochures are VERY slick and loyal Cunard passengers are VERY devoted, but your results may vary.

Ooh - forgot to mention the Cunard Heritage Trail. This was lovely to do on the last day when you are packed and wondering what to do if of course you are interested in the history of the great liners. Free headsets can be borrowed from the Purser's Desk!

Definitely plan on getting to the port on time! Didn't realise that putting teh lid down was an issue on a liner - knew it was when I wnet sailing on a significantly smaller vessel! Will bear teh advice in mind

And if you get bored on the TA, here's a way to pass some time.

Put one end of a long piece of toilet paper in the bowl and the other all the way out on the balcony (or the other end of the cabin).

Have someone flush with the lid up and watch the length of paper fly through the cabin!!

Great fun!:D

It is kept at the desk in the Library, just ask for it.

The book was put onboard the QM2 on its Maiden Voyage.

Also, please report back on how many pages are left so others

can replace it when needed.

Get ready for the voyage of your life! Unforgetable for sure.

Also, search the Cunard Board for Penny's book on what not to miss on the QM2.

It is kept at the desk in the Library, just ask for it.

The book was put onboard the QM2 on its Maiden Voyage.

Also, please report back on how many pages are left so others

can replace it when needed.

Get ready for the voyage of your life! Unforgetable for sure.

Also, search the Cunard Board for Penny's book on what not to miss on the QM2.

Hi Sylvia, great to see you online! Thanks for the reminder to sign the CC book. It is so much fun to read all the names of those who have sailed in the past. You will see quite a few familiar names.

Here is a link to Penny's eloquent review. She beautifully captures the elegant atmosphere that one finds on the QM2.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

Beth

Edited by imacruizer

Don't miss Pepper's excellent review of his transatlantic crossing. He gives wonderful details of many things not to miss.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=514324

Beth

Thank you, once again you've been very kind. Next year (2010) will see me enjoying another crossing on the QM2, the only way to travel.

And to stay on topic, my "must do" thing on QM2?

Drinks in the Commodore Club before dinner... after dinner...

Very best wishes

HI oh you make it sound exciting I cannot wait I'm also booked on the Westbound TA departing 11th November with my wife

It will be our first expereince with Cunard and of course QM2 always wanted to arrive in NY by ship

Soletread

Check out our roll call for this voyage... it's going to be one of the largest CC get togethers I've seen. It's at 2pm on the first sea day in the Commodore Club.

Looking forward to meeting you both.

Hi Sylvia, great to see you online! Thanks for the reminder to sign the CC book. It is so much fun to read all the names of those who have sailed in the past. You will see quite a few familiar names.

Here is a link to Penny's eloquent review. She beautifully captures the elegant atmosphere that one finds on the QM2.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

Beth

I am here everyday reading about everyone's adventures on the QM2.

Only wish I had been able to make that TA.

Definitely the Commodore Club, for coffee and reading in the morning and for pre-dinner cocktails.

We tried the Lotus for their tasting menu - it was hard dragging ourselves away from the Britannia, but worth it.

The jacuzzi and pool - we were on a damp, cool April TA but the jacuzzi was fab!

Making new friends.

Champagne from Cap'n Pugwash!

I'm soooo jealous :)