Shower Only?

DP

I do not care for bathtub & shower combos on ships as it can be difficult showering in rough weather. I am considering booking the Amsterdam and note that in Cat F there are 4 cabins with shower only.

Has anyone stayed in one of these cabins and is the bathroom substantially smaller. Why would HAL take out the bathtub?

I didn't check the deckplan, so assuming these aren't handicap cabins---

The tubs on the S- and R-class ships (the Amsterdam is an R-class) have very high sides, with the floor lower than the bottom of the tub. It's difficult for many people to get in, and dangerous to get out of these tubs. Especially, as you posted, in rough seas.

These cabins may have been outfitted with shower-only to accommodate people who wanted an outside cabin, but did want a shower.

I'm sure that was part of the reason such cabins exist on the Vista ships; I don't know if the Amsterdam came along late enough for it, too.

Has anyone stayed in one of these cabins and is the bathroom substantially smaller. Why would HAL take out the bathtub?
I've never had a shower-only cabin and can't comment on shower size, but since no one else is answering you yet: HAL provides a few cabins on every ship without tubs for people who don't need a full HC cabin, but have difficulty getting in and out of a tub-shower. We'd be just as happy with a shower-only, as I haven't taken a sit-down bath in 50 years anyway! :D

I do not care for bathtub & shower combos on ships as it can be difficult showering in rough weather. I am considering booking the Amsterdam and note that in Cat F there are 4 cabins with shower only.

In 2005, we had a shower only on the Veendam in a "Lanai" cabin. The bathroom was significantly smaller than on the newer ships, e.g., Eurodam, so there wasn't room for a bathtub.

... but since no one else is answering you yet:

A-hem! :D ;)

HAL provides a few cabins on every ship without tubs for people who don't need a full HC cabin, but have difficulty getting in and out of a tub-shower.

Not every ship. The older ones in the fleet (with the exception of the Prinsendam) are tub-only in the outside cabins (and higher). That became the problem you mentioned, and is the reason that some cabins, on some ships, now have a shower only.

The size of the showers in inside cabins is generous. I have no reason to believe they are any less so in the outside cabins.

If you will look at the Amsterdam deck plan, you will note that there are shower only outside and/or veranda cabins on each deck, and all of them are forward. I was told (not by anyone at HAL) that in rough weather the front of the ship has more movement, and the bathtub could present a greater safety problem as well as a higher likelihood of sloshing water all over the place. I don't know whether there is any truth to that at all, but it sounds logical. At any rate, there are quite a few cabins without tubs.

Having said that, I was on Amsterdam in December in a balcony cabin forward which was shower only. The bathroom did not seem any smaller than any other balcony cabins I had previously. In fact, the lack of the tub made it seem more spacious. Can't speak for the outsides, but I think the lack of tub isn't solely a space issue.

The tubs weren't removed - They were never installed in the first place.

Archived