Question for fellow Canadian cruisers

retroPK

Just wondering where you find it's best to get your travel insurance here in Canada...I've looked up a few quotes and it varies quite a bit! For 10 days worth of medical/health insurance anywhere from $27 - $53+ (CDN). CAA seems to be the best choice but I'm not really sure what to look for....any advice?! :confused: Thanx!

We've used CAA, and RBC in the past. Not sure if this applies to you, but my husband recently retired and joined CARP (Canadian Association of Retired People) and they have a great program for medical insurance & then you add on cancellation & interruption insurance.

We have insurance through my dh's job but my Mom has been looking at CAA and TD Canada Trust and the rates were between 27-32 dollars for her per day. We thought that was pretty reasonable since she will be 81 and has a couple of health problems.

I usually go with the major banks ... I've used CIBC, RBC, and TD with no issues. They usually have similar prices I've found.

If you travel more than once per year it can make sense to get the yearly unlimited trips plan, usually the price is less than what you would pay for 2 trips separately.

Jenn

Just wondering where you find it's best to get your travel insurance here in Canada...I've looked up a few quotes and it varies quite a bit! For 10 days worth of medical/health insurance anywhere from $27 - $53+ (CDN). CAA seems to be the best choice but I'm not really sure what to look for....any advice?! :confused: Thanx!

I have the Annual Travel Insurance added to my TD visa...it is $99 a year and covers everything from Medical to Lost baggage , trip cancellation , trip delay....rental car...everything you would need. Much cheaper than buying per trip coverage. It covers everyoen in the family / everyone under your reservation.

You have to book the trip using the credit card obviously to use it. (They state the card must be used to book 50% of the value of the trip)

It covers unlimited trip per year!

One of the best hidden secrets out there.

When I use my visa to pay for my cruise I get full insurance include trip cancellation, medical, lost luggage etc.

We also got the new Visa that offers this, not just the trip interuption but also the trip cancellation. As long as 75% of the trip is paid with this credit card. We paid for our flight and cruise as well as the couples travelling with us. This way we are all covered.

I got a Desjardins Odyssey VISA card You pay for it about 100$ are totally covered you and familyfor health,trip cancellation and trip interruption baggage etc etc ,I have ALWAYS used it since I got it .Did need to cancel got a TOTAL refund

I have told my friends they got it too .Came in VERY handy when her hubby got sick

GET It I believe it covers all for 3 weeks if under 60 years longer if younger

I got a FREE TD visa first class but it does not cover as long

ASK QUESTIONS before you get

GOOD LUCK

My Visa card also gives me points I can use to reduce payments

We get our insurance when we book with Cruise Centers.They use RBC Insurance and so far we haven't had any problems.

Their insurance is waaaay to high. I priced it last year and ended up at Blue Cross for like $200 less. RBC insurance is a ripoff big time.

Their insurance is waaaay to high. I priced it last year and ended up at Blue Cross for like $200 less. RBC insurance is a ripoff big time.

Depends if you have the $$ to shell out if you have a real medical emergency. With Blue Cross, you pay out fo pocket until they reimburse you (or not). RBC pays upfront.

Archived