Upgrade? Is this true???

Cruishappy@aol.com

Hi - We will be on the QM in a P1 --and have our suite assignment -- my question is ---is true that if you have chosen the suite of your choice --- you will not be upgraded - the only way to receive an upgrade is to reserve a Guarantee in the cat of your choice -- we have cruised 61 times oon various line and have never received a visit from the upgrade fairy --- I have read so many times of visists from the upgrade fairy and hope to get one - oh well --- I guess I will jusst wait - with fingers crossed -

That is not true. My wife and I had a confirmed P1 cabin assignment on a transatlantic and were upgraded to a Q5; we received the notification about 3 weeks prior to the trip. For the same voyage, my mother-in-law and sister-in-law were also upgraded in a similar manner. It was our fourth Cunard cruise (but our first TA).

Just make sure that your TA has not marked your booking "no upgrade." For an upcoming trip, we booked a specific B6 (obstructed view, now A4 on deck 8 - how an obstructed cabin can rate higher than an in-hull, I will never understand!) and received an upgrade to an A3 about 60 days before sailing. Good luck!

No, you can always be upgraded, however I you do stand a better chance if your a gaurantee booking, we have had all our GTY booking upgraded, this month an inside to outside balcony cabin, all our 2010 booking in a D* have already been upgraded, 2 of them so far are up to in hull and still 11 months to go to the 1st of them

Hello,

on the subject of upgrdaes, as with dear old QE2, has anyone ever been upgraded by restaurant only i.e. you were still in your allocated P grade suite but dined in the Queens Grill i.e. your restaurant card showed Queens Grill on embarkation in your suite on the QM2? I have experienced this a few times on QE2 but wondered if this also happened on QM2.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

...has anyone ever been upgraded by restaurant only i.e. you were still in your allocated P grade suite but dined in the Queens Grill...

No, but I've heard of the opposite situation. eg, you booked a C (Caronia) grade cabin and were upgraded to a P grade cabin, but still dined in the Caronia Restaurant!

I guess this means that no matter what anybody says on the internet - anything is possible.

Regards, Colin.

Hello,

on the subject of upgrdaes, as with dear old QE2, has anyone ever been upgraded by restaurant only i.e. you were still in your allocated P grade suite but dined in the Queens Grill i.e. your restaurant card showed Queens Grill on embarkation in your suite on the QM2? I have experienced this a few times on QE2 but wondered if this also happened on QM2.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

As far as I was told, this was against company policy and was only ever done once on QE2 in her forty year's service.

Glenn.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi - We will be on the QM in a P1 --and have our suite assignment -- my question is ---is true that if you have chosen the suite of your choice --- you will not be upgraded - the only way to receive an upgrade is to reserve a Guarantee in the cat of your choice -- we have cruised 61 times oon various line and have never received a visit from the upgrade fairy --- I have read so many times of visists from the upgrade fairy and hope to get one - oh well --- I guess I will jusst wait - with fingers crossed -

In my 8 cruises with Cunard, I have been upgraded 3 times. On two occasions, I had an assigned Q5, and on one occasion a guaranteed Q5, so I think its the luck of the draw.

My rep says, you need to be near the top of your category, eg a P1 to be upgraded to a Q or a Q5 to get a higher Q upgrade. Frequent travel seems to help too.

I hope this helps, and good luck.

Mike,

As I have just written in another thread, this week I was upgraded from a D5 to a B2 on QM2. I had booked a specific cabin, not just a guarantee. As someone just mentioned, maybe being a frequent traveller helps.

PS. It is actually written on my confirmation invoice that I didn't want an upgrade. I usually did that because I didn't know that they consulted you before upgrading you & I didn't want moved to either the front or back of the ship.

Carol.

Also, I would have been receiving $250 on-board credit when it was a D5 I was booked in. Does anyone know if I will now be likely to get the credit the higher grade cabin would get ie. $750?

Also my tips were included in the old deal, I hope this still applies to the new one.

Also, I would have been receiving $250 on-board credit when it was a D5 I was booked in. Does anyone know if I will now be likely to get the credit the higher grade cabin would get ie. $750?

Also my tips were included in the old deal, I hope this still applies to the new one.

Only Cunard can say for sure, but, since you paid for the inside, you will likely still only get the OBC incentive associated with such. Your tips are the same as you remain in Britannia grade. No change there.

I was booked for a C1 specific cabin on my very first Cunard cruise, last year on the QE2, and was upgraded to a P1. We were still able to dine in the Princess Grill.

Wow Ginny, that was a great upgrade. Hope it hasn't spoiled you too much! Sue

On HAL if the ship was not full we could go to the desk on the ship after we embarked (but before we went to our stateroom) to see about purchasing an upgrade. If they had empty cabins you could get something for a very good price (just a fraction of what the real cost difference was). Does anyone know if this is possible on the QM2?

Thanks!

On HAL if the ship was not full we could go to the desk on the ship after we embarked (but before we went to our stateroom) to see about purchasing an upgrade. If they had empty cabins you could get something for a very good price (just a fraction of what the real cost difference was). Does anyone know if this is possible on the QM2?

Thanks!

I really don't know, but if you were trying to move from Steerage to the Grills, they would probably not allow it, as there would be insufficient time to contact your letters of reference and check your other bona fides.:eek::D

Archived