What is wrong with kids?

nadeki

I have been reading so many threads about people who want to avoid kids on ships. I am wondering what they do that bothers you so much. We have taken our kids on several cruises and will continue to do so. I use a stroller so they do not run away .... and yet I read posters complain about strollers in elevators...

The kids spend most of their time in kids club but they do need to eat and we usually go to the buffet. On the ships that have kids seating areas we often have trouble finding a seat as they are filled with childless groups who are eating the food put out for kids. We then have to venture into the larger buffet areas.

We pay for the kids to be onboard including the full service charge, we tip the staff extra for any additional work we may have caused and apologize to any of you for trouble our "little people" have caused. Sometimes I have to revert to the old reminder that we were all kids once.

Is there a certain age group or activity that annoys you?

Thanks

We have kids, and will take them cruising because we want to be with them, but it doesn't bother me that other people want to avoid kids. Everyone should be free to seek out whatever experience they are looking for.

I don't think NCL sounds like a place to avoid kids though, since they do seem to cater to families.

What I am really looking for are answers about what they do is it the sight of them, the smell.... what really upsets people about kids? Everyone will make noise at sometime even grown ups.

Trying to figure out what I can do not to upset others so much.

The cruise lines keep building ships with more and more kids activities to invite us and I would like to "feel" welcomed by all.

It is not always a case of how to parent but how to behave as I have seen plenty of grown ups act worse than kids.

Again, we try to stay in our own areas and wish smokers and drunks could do the same.

We really are not as bad as we are being labeled.

Well, since you have children, you wouldn't understand. :)

LOL... Now that's just funny!:D Score one for DINKS!

Personally I have nothing against kids even though I don't have any as long as they are well behaved. On our 1st and definately not last cruise there were a group of kids that were running unsupervised seemingly the whole cruise! They were very obnoxious and at one point they were horsing around so much they almost knocked over my DH who has visual and physical problems. As long as they are supervised or well mannered I don't mind kids being on the ship.

I have been reading so many threads about people who want to avoid kids on ships. I am wondering what they do that bothers you so much. We have taken our kids on several cruises and will continue to do so. I use a stroller so they do not run away .... and yet I read posters complain about strollers in elevators...

The kids spend most of their time in kids club but they do need to eat and we usually go to the buffet. On the ships that have kids seating areas we often have trouble finding a seat as they are filled with childless groups who are eating the food put out for kids. We then have to venture into the larger buffet areas.

We pay for the kids to be onboard including the full service charge, we tip the staff extra for any additional work we may have caused and apologize to any of you for trouble our "little people" have caused. Sometimes I have to revert to the old reminder that we were all kids once.

Thanks

I don't hate kids, what I hate is parents who leave their parenting skills at home and think the rules don't apply to them. If the rule is no kids in the hot tub, it's no kids in the hot tub, etc.

Just because you are on a ship, it's no cause to allow your children to roam free and ruin other people's vacations. It's happened and it's been posted here. A little common sense goes a long way.

I have nothing against kids either. As long as they are well behaved.

On my last cruise with Princess during Christmas, I happen to overhear that we had over 800 kids on board. I was shocked....because I would have never thought there were that many kids. That's how well Princess handles them. They also have "kid security". They were VERY prominently displayed throughout the ship...especially the theater.

I'm hoping it's the same on NCL. Does NCL have kid security?

The only time I can do a 7-day cruise is during Christmas since that's when I close my business. :eek:

OP ~ Not everyone likes kids. Probably because they behave, well, like kids. Personally, I'm conscientious about kids in my general area, and don't like to do "adult" activities around them, like drinking, because I feel it sends the wrong message. Kids are very interested in the actions of adults by nature. They aren't developed enough to know the responsibility that goes along with drinking alcohol, and I don't want to contribute to their juvenile delinquency. :p

So I'll usually leave an area where there are kids near me, especially if I want some peace and quiet.

Don't expect the world to love your kids. Many will, many won't. That's life.

I have nothing against kids - some of them are my friends and relatives. However I do object to poor parenting - which unfortunately I have on occasion witnessed on cruiseships and elsewhere for that matter (it just seems worse in the confined space of a cruiseship).

My definition (MY opinion) on what constitutes poor parenting on a cruiseship:

Letting your kids run around unsupervised.

Setting no boundaries ("so what if my 10 year old was splashing the old lady in the pool - after all kids will be kids" and no I don't mean by accident)

Bringing nothing to the dining room to amuse a toddler while she waits for her dinner and then all adults at the table totally ignoring her whines and screams of boredom.

On the other hand I have seen some wonderful parenting:

The parents who brought their two SMALL children (one about 2, the other about 4) to one of the nicer specialty restaurants and kept them amused and in control ('use your indoor voices', 'no running in the restaurant') The kids were complimented by other diners and by senior crew who were dining. They (and their attentive, involved and considerate parents) deserved it. They were lovely and learning from this new experience.

The new parents with a young baby who made sure baby was well-fed and comfortable before bringing him to the dining room and who took turns walking him out when he became a little fussy. No glares for them - just admiring oohs and ahs for baby.

Anyone who has dealt with small children knows that sometimes they just meltdown - that is not their fault but when parents don't deal with it quickly and appropriately - it will make for a few cranky bystanders. If I see a parent trying to deal with a problem (even if they are not succeeding too well) I cut them a lot of slack. If I see them acting like there is no problem - then I feel annoyed - not at the kids (unless they really are old enough to know better (A 10 year old should have a reasonable understanding of what constitutes proper public behaviour but a 5 year old really does not).

What I am really looking for are answers about what they do is it the sight of them, the smell.... what really upsets people about kids?

As to specifics, I'd say noise, running around under foot, and unsupervised behavior in general.

The youth of today love luxury; they have bad manners and contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Youth are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up food at the table, and tyrannize their teachers. (Attributed to Socrates in Plato’s “The Republic.”)

I have to preface my comments with the understanding there are some adults who are guilty of the same behaviors I mention and I'm not a fan of having them on board, either, but as with kids, I accept it as something I'll encounter and try to make the best of it.

1) Running around or just the opposite...stopping dead in their tracks in the middle of stairs and walkways. Kids often aren't accustomed to foot traffic patterns and it being impolite to stop and block traffic. Not even a thing they can really control without a parent ushering them, just something they have yet to master.

2) Loud voices. Volume control isn't something many kids have mastered at a young age. They don't understand how thin walls are in cabin areas, etc.

3) Repetition. Kids love to repeat things. Hearing kids sing a song chorus over and over, say a funny sentence like "my fart stinks" over and over is a bit annoying wherever you are.

4) Kids smacking food and eating with mouths open and holding up their jello in their palm to show to the world. This is generally only an issue in the crowded buffet.

Just an honest answer, and as I said, these are things some adults do, too. And I'm sure I did many of these things myself as a kid. That's why I don't particularly enjoy vacationing with kids, but I don't hate kids. I'm just an adult that generally enjoys peace and quiet. A cruise is generally great for that.

I have been reading so many threads about people who want to avoid kids on ships.

Thanks

Not sure why the issue would concern you.

I prefer no kids around as the noise levels increase and strollers and other kid's things do get in the way in a confined area like a ship (not really a big deal to me unless there's a gazillion around). When I mean no kids, I am talking an excessive amount - that's why I do not cruise during times that schools are not in session. However, I do enjoy playing with the little tykes around the pool as I've raised kids and have g-kids.

I guess the age group that is the biggest PITA would be that early teen agers. They are the one's hitting all of the elevator buttons when they get off, a lot noisier than the small kids and some seem extremely rude to passengers and crew members alike.

As you are in your earlier years, I don't expect you to understand even though it sounds like you do the right things.

I am not asking anyone to love or even like my kids. I asked specifically what I could do to help you. Perhaps the kids of today are learning some of their sarcasm from their elders. I have received enough sarcastic answers to be finished here.

Those of you that gave me examples, thanks. I will make sure I continue to parent my kids with these thoughts in mind.

In the meantime, I will continue to cruise and unfortunately there are absolutely no cruises that are kids only no grown ups.

I ask again, please help us and not sit in the kids buffet area if you do not have kids and do not complain when we have a stroller as these are so no one trips you.

Thanks

I enjoy well behaved children. I taught elementary for 33 years. HOWEVER, some, not all, parents think that if they are on vacation from parenting. (maybe they never were on parenting duty)

Having had teens sit on the stairway steps and refuse to move for anyone trying to use those steps is very irritating.

Large groups of young teens roaming the halls late at night with loud talking and noises are also irritating.

Remember, I paid for a vacation too and the above are not included in my definition of a vacation for ME.

We have generally not had any problems with kids on our cruises, and because I am a teacher we always have to go when there are lots of kids onboard. For the most part, I enjoy seeing them enjoy themselves and doing things with their new friends.

Having said that, I do think the cruise lines can do some things better to "control" some of the behaviors. One example - on our last trip, there was a group of kids in Spinnaker loudly playing pool during a game show and running through the lounge trying to get on camera. They did this on several different occasions. One of the comedians on the panel even mentioned that someone needed to stop them and no one did anything. This, to me, is a simple thing that can be done to keep kids (or adults that would do this) from interfering with other activities. I was headed over there to talk to them myself, but my DH told me to put the "teacher" face away and stay out of it! LOL

I have been reading so many threads about people who want to avoid kids on ships.

It's not the kids that bother some people; it's the parents of some of those kids (and I use term parents loosely in those situations) that make you want to cruise when the kids are in school. If those parents would live up to their responsibilty as parents instead of expecting the rest of the world to their job you would see a lot fewer posts about unruly kids.

I am not asking anyone to love or even like my kids. I asked specifically what I could do to help you. Perhaps the kids of today are learning some of their sarcasm from their elders. I have received enough sarcastic answers to be finished here.

Those of you that gave me examples, thanks. I will make sure I continue to parent my kids with these thoughts in mind.

In the meantime, I will continue to cruise and unfortunately there are absolutely no cruises that are kids only no grown ups.

I ask again, please help us and not sit in the kids buffet area if you do not have kids and do not complain when we have a stroller as these are so no one trips you.

Thanks

I think, since you cared enough to ask the question of what bothers others when cruising with children, you must be a concerned parent with reasonably well behaved children. I hope you continue to cruise with your family and enjoy wonderful family vacations.

I have never understood these threads . Whats the point ? There will always be kids on board . For those that really dislike kids around there are plenty of options.

Specific lines that cater to adults and times of year that are better plus the longer the cruise the fewer the kids. We all know its a parenting issue and theres not a damn thing we can do about it . I have two ( 9 & 12 ) and they are good kids , but there kids and I will do my best to make sure they dont drop ice cream in your sandal.

See ya on board ;) Oh , can I have my tips removed?:p

What I am really looking for are answers about what they do is it the sight of them, the smell.... what really upsets people about kids? Everyone will make noise at sometime even grown ups.

Trying to figure out what I can do not to upset others so much.

The cruise lines keep building ships with more and more kids activities to invite us and I would like to "feel" welcomed by all.

It is not always a case of how to parent but how to behave as I have seen plenty of grown ups act worse than kids.

Again, we try to stay in our own areas and wish smokers and drunks could do the same.

We really are not as bad as we are being labeled.

My wife and I are DINKS and love being around kids, even on cruises. We don't always like the way the parents let them behave, but hey that's the parents fault... Many seem to behave as bad as the kids.

Michael

I have seen where people have posted things about problems with kids too...but from what I have read it seems to be more the parents than anything else.

I love my kids and KNOW that they are not perfect. And am going on carnival hoping that the others on there realize there will be kids so if they really have a big deal with kids to not go on carnival there are adult only cruises from what I understand.

I also have to agree with the original poster that as parents of these little angels/demon depending on the day it is frustrating....havne't been on a cruise but it happens other places too....when you go somewhere and all the kid areas are gone and being used by people that don't have kids so then you have to annoy others in the more adult area because adults have taken over the one area MADE for kids!

I agree that the kids of this generation are loud rude and any other term you want to use but it is the parents raising them like this so you can't always blame JUST the kids.

We plan on taking our DS's with us on our cruise....that way if there are any of those times when the kids need entertaining we will have them. I know the ship rents them but why spend the money when we have them plus tons of games...although we wont take our entire library of games with us just a few for each kid. And of course if the need arises one of us will go back to the room with the child and discipline properly.....

DINK here too. As many others have already said, it's not necessarily the kids, it's the parents. My friend has two kids I adore, they're super smart and incredibly well-behaved. I'd happily cruise with them anytime, just as I often go out to eat with them now. My niece is the same story, she's fabulously well-behaved and going out in public with her is no problem at all. Their parents set limits and follow the rules, and the kids are aware of the limits and rules and pay attention to them.

However, you take rowdy kids plus parents who don't believe the rules apply to them or their precious little darlings, and I don't want to be anywhere near.

Archived